Sponsored by:

Spark plug change questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark plug change questions

I'm going to change the plugs for my 2002 996, but I have a few questions. I did read the DIY, but I'm looking for more direction and everyone's experience before I dig into it.

1. Does it matter what brand (i.e. Bosch or NGK)? Pelican offers both for a 2002.
2. Should I replace the spark plug connectors, tubes, and o-rings?
3. Any special tools needed? I have most sockets, extensions, etc.
4. What size spark plug socket do I need?
5. Anything else that I may be missing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bandaids...
Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I'm going to change the plugs for my 2002 996, but I have a few questions. I did read the DIY, but I'm looking for more direction and everyone's experience before I dig into it.

1. Does it matter what brand (i.e. Bosch or NGK)? Pelican offers both for a 2002.
2. Should I replace the spark plug connectors, tubes, and o-rings?
3. Any special tools needed? I have most sockets, extensions, etc.
4. What size spark plug socket do I need?
5. Anything else that I may be missing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
If you're not going to remove the exhaust (i didn't) the thing you will need most is time.

I went with the factory plugs from sunset Porsche. They are bosch and a bit cheaper than Pelican.
you'll need a few 3/8 swivel sockets and various lenght extensions.
ONce you remove the coils wires from the coils ( i found that really long angled needle nose pliers work wonders for this), you'll need to pull the coils and the spark plug boots. At that point you will need to inspect everything to see if it needs to be repalced.

If the coils have cracks in them, replace them. If the boots are beat, do the same. I notice a bit of oil on the threads of one plug and I regret not changing the seal because I get a little cloud of smoke at start up.

Good luck and do not even think about doing this while the car is the least bit warm, you will be burned. Take brakes as fatigue makes this job harder.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

The most important advice I can give is during the plug install: Make sure you seat the plug correctly by turning the plug counter clockwise a half turn and THEN the proper clockwise direction. If your not sure if it is seated - start again. It is very easy to cross thread so take care in how you start threading in the plug by hand. Don't use the drive until you feel the plug is seated and screwing in properly. A good investment while your buying at Pelican is the magnetic socket. For the price - replacing the tubes and O rings looks worth it - just because. I think they are about $6.00 or so each. One of those 'while I was there' idea's that drives my spouse crazy when she sees the bills! If you have one of those fancy knuckle drive adapters then you may not have to remove the cans to get at cly's 3 and 6.
I can't remember which cly's but you have to remove the coil pack first and slide it off and out and then the tubes can come out after. The others can come out as a unit.

Work on your car when your parts suppler is OPEN, ask ahead of time if the parts are in stock (even if you don't *think* you need them) and have a second car ready so that you can stop, leave the P car as is and drive over to the supplier to get that part you didn't think you needed but know is in stock because you checked earlier! Just sayin. Perfect example: You thought all your coils were perfect until you spot a crack in one and it's Sunday and the dealer/supplier is closed watching an NFL game!

Quick Reply: Spark plug change questions