996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I have a question about rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I should probably give you a little more background on my car/driving to better assess this. The car is not a daily driver and gets minimal street time at this point. Like I said above, probably 8-10 DE's a year at this point.

It's an 02 supercharged 996. I am running PSS9's, GT3 sways, MPSC tires, and some other stuff.

As far as the brakes, I have the upgraded (slightly) ducts, SS lines, Motul fluid, and Pagid yellow pads.

I have 35K miles on my rotors (they are orginal) and a bunch of track days.

I was boiling the crap out of my fluid and burning up OEM pads until I switched to the yellows and the Motul. The SS lines and ducts were just for good measure.

Now I drive to the track, run it all day, and drive it home. Pretty much with zero brake fade. I am very happy with my setup.

As an aside, I have noticed no significant different driving with the yellows on the street than the stock OEM pads. Whether they're hot or cold. I think they're a great compromise between OEM and full race pads. Not to mention I have four or five track days and countless miles and they still look new.

With that being said, is there a rotor out there that may offer an improvement (can't hurt) without spending a small fortune? Seems like there is definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to modding.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
Well, I just ordered and received my new Girodisk rotors from Craig at Rennstore. They are free floating, not cross drilled (so no cracking), and supposedly will last 2x long as OEM. Next time around new hats are only $300.

I'll let you know how they feel after I put them on.

I looked at those. Way too much $$$. At that price point, I'd rather just bite the bullet and go BBK.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up buying Performance Friction front rotors and OEM rears. I'll be at Sebring in 2 weeks so I'll have a good opportunity to see how they perform.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE:
I will now be carrying PFC rotor sets for the 996.

Helluva lot better than OEM and a lot less $$$ than the other options.

Begins with a low 8 for a full front set - arrives in about 5 days

Quick Reply: I have a question about rotors...