Sponsored by:

APR Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts
Default APR Tuning

Did a search on this and came up with a decent thread, but no closure. Don't know if they went with it or the results.

Local shop with great reputation is a dealer for APR and I'm inclined to go with them, but was wondering if anyone had has used APR or know someone who did and had any opinions. They have some pretty cool options that allow you to select different tuning images via the cruise control stock. Here's the link if anyone is interested www.goapr.com/

I have a Mille Miglia exhaust, but no CAI or any other mods.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

go with www.evomsit.com
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I cant comment on how APR is with Porsche's but I have had excellent results and support with APR software in my old Audi S4 and my wifes Allroad.

There seems to be other more "Porsche specific" tuners.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
oneyedjack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second APR's great reputation......at least for boosted Audis. Had this on an older Audi without any problems. Carl....umm I mean local shop should be able to hook you up with a trial run of their software before you purchase.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like others before, I have Audi experience with APR but none with Porsche. I was impressed with the APR tuning chip on my 02' Audi TT and found the improvements to my liking. They have a good rep tuning certain cars.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA

i also had apr for my audi tt. it was a generic flash meaning it had no adjustments. with other cars, a intake and exhaust needs a different tune than stock for maximum benefit.. its a fact.
i did feel a differance and notice a .5 sec. drop in 0-60 times (awd)
but i would go with another software company if i did it again.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oneyedjack
I'll second APR's great reputation......at least for boosted Audis. Had this on an older Audi without any problems. Carl....umm I mean local shop should be able to hook you up with a trial run of their software before you purchase.
Ahh, you must be local to the Charleston area. Stopped by and talked to Karl after work tonight. I feel pretty good about the APR and I keep the business with Karl...win win.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Thumbs down

We have a Stage 2 APR for my wife's Audi A4 1.8T. The chip was well worth it. The APR exhaust, which they claim to be "stainless" seems to be of a different material. Take a look for yourself on the attached pics. This is after 2 years and we religiously detail our cars. Brillo won't even get it shiny. My 9 year old M3's exhaust looked just like new. When I asked them about it, I got a very snobby remark and they would not stand behind their product. I was actually pretty surprised about their response.

Then when I pinged them for any products related to my Porsches, I couldn't even get a salesperson to call me back? I've e-mailed and called on them several times. So with that, I interpret it as "we got nothing worthwhile to talk to you about".

Short story: Great chips for Audi, AVOID for Porsche
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Am I missing something?

I've also chipped VW's and Audi's (GIAC and Neuspeed) -- but they were Turbos (1.8T and 2.0T) and you get more boost.

Also the chip tuners charge more for a Por$che.

Why pay $500 - $1000 for chipping an N/A car for minimal results?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer

Also the chip tuners charge more for a Por$che.

Why pay $500 - $1000 for chipping an N/A car for minimal results?
Because they have more money than brains and want the mental advantage.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Because they have more money than brains and want the mental advantage.
Don't let my wallet or lack of brains make you feel so insecure.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Don't let my wallet or lack of brains make you feel so insecure.
hahaha nice one, lots of insecure people on here... Look at his Avatar. i hope he not doing that in his own Car, Lack Of Brain? and if its not his own Avatar, i guess having a Avatar like that, gives him the "Mental Advantage"...

BTW cheak this i know its a 3.6L but its Proof http://www.evomsit.com/Results-996_C4S.htm
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
hahaha nice one, lots of insecure people on here... Look at his Avatar. i hope he not doing that in his own Car, Lack Of Brain? and if its not his own Avatar, i guess having a Avatar like that, gives him the "Mental Advantage"...

BTW cheak this i know its a 3.6L but its Proof http://www.evomsit.com/Results-996_C4S.htm
Ha! I never said I didn't belong to the same club.... But I'm afraid that IS my own avatar...errrr... or "ours" as my wife puts it. Technically, that was with HER driving and me taking the pic. But I fault her for not getting the camera steady enough to get a clear pic for me while I was driving (so she claims). This was on the autobahn with a C4S. So bite me, cookie...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE

Well, I gave my indy the go ahead on the APR tune today after the 30K mile service and oil pan check went well. He called me a while later and said that he had problems uploading the s/w and when he called APR they said the s/w load doesn't fit on the early 996 model ecu in the standard format, because there is not enough capacity and that I would have to send the ecu in to APR so they could compress it and load it there.

Doesn't sound promising. I don't like the idea of the s/w load going on there in any format other than what is standard and tested.

Quick Reply: APR Tuning