Sponsored by:

Finally pulled the trigger on a new HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your HU has 4 RCA preamp inputs, you should be fine (if not, let me know). There are several tricks to an install using the Crutchfield provided harness. I just did this a few months ago, and posted about it in the thread "I hate my stereo", check it out. I didn't wire a mic in though.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
For the wire harness, call Rod Birch at http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/. He supplied me a wire harness and radio antenna adaptor (which I still have in the package, if you need it). I also have photos of the harness, along with where each wire should be connected. My cab is also a 2000 with the "hi-fi" sound. I really need to post pics of my install... I've been saying this for over a month now.
Thanks Doug! Did you buy your HU through Crutchfield and have to go to car audio innovations for the harness? I would think a company like Crutchfield would have this straight by now.

Radio has shipped, should be here Friday. Of course I'm camping with the scouts this weekend so I can't do anything until Sunday.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
If your HU has 4 RCA preamp inputs, you should be fine (if not, let me know). There are several tricks to an install using the Crutchfield provided harness. I just did this a few months ago, and posted about it in the thread "I hate my stereo", check it out. I didn't wire a mic in though.
Like this?

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...ar_render.jpeg
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup. If those are preamp inputs, you connect the 4 rca plugs there, wire the two blue wires together and connect to the crutchfield harness, switch the red and black power wires (a Porsche wiring thing), and you should be good to go.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Just finished the install. Thanks everyone!

Andy, I did read through your thread and it saved me a lot of frustration. I would not have thought about the blue wire deal. Even though mine was different your thread prompted me to call Crutchfield and ask about it. I had to splice 3 blue wires for mine. Install works like a charm on the first try.

Routed the mic up the A pillar and used the adhesive tap they supplied to secure it to the black mounting plate for the visor. This way it remains close to the a pillar and should be shielded from wind.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome, glad it worked out well the first time! Let's see some photos of the finished install!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic from the iPhone. I know the steering wheel remote isn't the coolest, but I like functionality and it fits the bill.

Bluetooth audio and phone seem to work really well.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger on a new HU