C4S or 40th Anniversary edition or 996.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C4S or 40th Anniversary edition or 996.2

Hello all:

I've been looking around here for the past few months, but bought the Rennlist membership today. I also joined PCA as a Quest member...getting more serious about my upcoming 911 purchase. I'm considering a 996s: C4S, 996 MkII, or maybe a 40th Anniversay edition. I'd like to spend up to $30k, but could stretch to $33-34k for the right car. There are C4Ss priced at $35k with 45k miles. Obviously a MkII 996 is easily had for $30k with decent miles.

I drove a 997, 40th Anniversary edition, and an MkI 996 the other day. The 997 was a 2005. Overall, I liked the 40th Anniversary edition better (except for the interior which wasn't that bad with full leather). The 40th had much better throttle repsonse (997 revs dropped very slow).

How is the power delivery and handling of the C4S compared to the 40th since the 40th has that Powerkit option?

Other than the turbo body, brakes, & suspension, what else does the C4S have over the regular MkII 996? Cooling, LSD, etc.? I will continue HPDE's with this 911.

There aren't any C4S's around me to drive, so I'm looking for experienced feedback on those that have driven them compared to the MkII 996. Thanks.

Any direction is appreciated. I did some searches as well, but was not able to find answers to all questions.

James
Old 11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James,

Welcome.

First off, the C4S is a MkII, or 996.2.

Lots of experts on the C4S here, even though most have never owned one, so *…a grain of salt* and all that.

Sounds like you’ve driven everything but the C4S, so obviously that’s next. Where are you located? Ping your local PCA Membership Chair and ask if you can be put in touch with a local C4S owner; that should get you started.

The C4S is obviously heavier, but depending on how you drive it, it may or may not impact your experience.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

C4S looks the best with the wide body. I wouldn't want the AWD though.

A regular C2 will be easiest to find in your price range.

Any 40th comes loaded with good options...I can't even find one that mine doesn't have. And the power package is a hoot! There are lots of subtle improvements with the power package too like the oiling system. There are still only 2 radiators but the bumper improves airflow and you can easily add the 3rd radiator if you want to.

While 90% of the time it's impossible to put the car in a situation where the LSD would do anything, I do enjoy having mine...LSD was a requirement so for me it was either a '99, a 40th, or nothing.

You CAN find a 40th in your price range...I did as a 2nd owner at 43k miles in great unmolested shape.

Only problem with the 40th is the color is boring and they all look the same. The wheels look great and are easy to clean, though!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at all 3 cars about a year ago and I settled on the 40th. In my opinion, the C4S is a little prettier (love the lightbar across the rear) but I prefer the uniqueness and the options/exclusivity of the 40th!

On another note, I know of a 2002 Targa in my neighborhood with 50k miles that is advertised at $28k. It looks really clean and I'm sure the seller will negotiate further. If interested, let me know.

Quick Reply: C4S or 40th Anniversary edition or 996.2