Sponsored by:

Cheap Wheels on Ebay Feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have a company like BMW making their product there you can bet that they are watching the quality control. But some factory making knock off wheels, who really knows?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good point Marc and I don't want to waste $500 but as long as they don't result in injury it wouldn't be the most expensive lesson I've ever learned.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

you do not have to disclose anythign about your car when selling....certianly not that your wheeels are Chinese, etc.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
you do not have to disclose anythign about your car when selling....certianly not that your wheeels are Chinese, etc.
I don't agree with not having to disclose anything about your car, but I do agree you don't have to mention anything about the origin of the wheels unless asked.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of 996 NB OEM Carrera light 5 spoke rims for sale. Check for sale forum
Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

here's a sight that makes cheap wheels (italy)....

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com.../porsche.shtml
Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I'm not certain the "Made in China" would stop me. Although I'd like to think buying something made elsewhere would help the cause. The replacement Porsche motor installed in my 996 a few years ago has a Bosch sensor located near the intake that states "China". A friend that was a GM for a BMW motorcycle dealership told me a couple of weeks ago that the 650 and 800 BMWs are made in China. I know Harley Davidson and most all of the American made custom V-Twins are loaded with parts and major components of Chinese manufacture. Much of the high end climbing and mountaineering gear is now made there as well. I agree, it's sad to see nearly everything we consume made there, but on the other hand our choices are limited.
Made in China is ok if the part was made with Bosch approved metals/plastics, manufactured under Bosch quality controls, to Bosch specs, under Bosch etc etc.

I have never been able to get into the knock off wheel thing. Not for my cars.
Hell, my Mazdaspeed6, although maybe it isn't as worthy as my 996, rides on BBS RGRs in the summer. One piece, fully forged and although they are authentic, there made in Japan, not Germany.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh gosh, a lot of misleading information here.

I've used replica wheels from Wheel Dynamics and Wheel and Caps(2 set from WD,1 from W & C).....both came from the same manufacturer(from the replicas I ordered,not saying that all of Wheels and Caps are quality that I can vouch for),where stamped with 'made in italy' on them,showed up in the same box and the dealership couldn't tell they weren't OEM unless they looked at them from the inside(where all the non OEM stamps are). .....WD was twice as much as W & Cs.

My Dad nor I have had an issue with any set. I drive my cars HARD as well. 130+ is seen regular when the car is taken out,always have backend is all over the place, and the roads around Sac suck hard. Heck I even slammed my old 99' into a sidewall dragging the replica wheel for 20 feet and the wheel didn't break or crack,it just scratched and was slightly bent.

I've had bent OEM wheels are well,there nothing special.

I've had bent MOMO and BBS wheels in my house....So I wonder if they are even worth it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blinkwatt, Lot's of good info in this string but you were the first to provide first hand knowlege of the wheels in question! Thanks for taking the time!

Quick Reply: Cheap Wheels on Ebay Feedback requested