996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bilstein PSS10s - q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those Tarett pieces? They look like it.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
Are those Tarett pieces? They look like it.
Yes on PSS9's....
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Images

Here are the images from the OP.

-td

Name:  PB030073.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  PB030075.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I sent td (user name "himself") a couple pics to post of my fabricated drop links and bar set up. I couldn't get the pics to upload. My wife calls my computer a dinosaur.

I like the shock collar - approx how much do those cost? Isolating the link from the steering rack makes a tremendous amount of sense. Turning my steering wheel to get pics showed me how much stress the link is experiencing under my current setup. Will drop the links and bar apart on Thursday and report back. Any other comments after pics are posted are appreciated.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 AM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
I like the shock collar - approx how much do those cost? Isolating the link from the steering rack makes a tremendous amount of sense. Turning my steering wheel to get pics showed me how much stress the link is experiencing under my current setup. Will drop the links and bar apart on Thursday and report back. Any other comments after pics are posted are appreciated.
Tarett's stuff is really top notch. I can't remember how much his collar and link setup is, but give him a ring. His name is Ira, he's a real good guy. Tell him Joel Peavy sent you. www.tarett.com His shop is just across the street from where I work; very convenient.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I *think* the the droplinks are swapped left-to-right. The upper bolts should pass through the lower shock collar going back to front (i.e. the nut on the forward side), and these are run backward. That's a clever way to make it work (if that's what was done). It may be causing some binding when the wheel travels, though, which would kill the ride. Like I said, I'm not sure it's the problem, but I think you are going to need adjustable links (there are lots of options).

I'm curious what your guy did to modify the links. They look different from mine (which are longer and slimmer), but my car is a Mk1/3.4.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for their insights and recommendations. Was able to get time today to look at it with the indy. Springs, shocks, bars, drop links - all were in proper order and installed as they should be. We moved the front bar to full soft and that made a significant difference.

Now I just need to get new front mounts to get rid of the popping / creaking noise that the stock mounts create with the Bilsteins. Thanks again for the help in troubleshooting. This is a great forum.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by X51
Now I just need to get new front mounts to get rid of the popping / creaking noise that the stock mounts create with the Bilsteins.
This has also been discussed. A couple OEM parts are reused during the install and its important they are installed correctly; a couple of rubber seals and thrust bearings IIRC. No creaking or popping after my PSS10 install last year.

Here is an excerpt from a post here:

I have had this issue for 6 months since the PSS9's were installed..... After several trips back to the indy shop that did the install and being told that this was normal, I took the car somwhere else to have it looked at (noise getting louder).

Come to find out that there are parts that need to be harvested from the stock mounts (Rotators) and installed with the PSS9 kit. Of course the PSS9 installation instructions don't refer to this... and guess what, mine are missing.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo...-00-Frame3.htm
You need the item number 11 - Angular Contact Bearing
part number 996 343 501 00

This is the thrust washer. It is an assembly of metal parts that allows the top half to rotate independent of the bottom half. This is what allows the entire strut assembly to rotate independent of the body. If you don't have this, the coils can be twisted, bind up, and then release causing the boing sound when turning at low speeds.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by X51
I sent td (user name "himself") a couple pics to post of my fabricated drop links and bar set up. I couldn't get the pics to upload. My wife calls my computer a dinosaur.

I would take it somewhere else.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA
I would take it somewhere else.
There are some gurus of setup down Houston way. I know that Porsche and Indy shops are competent for most things, but when it goes bad, you really need a "somebody."

I second the thought to get another opinion.

-td
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+3 on taking it to another shop. Also, do get the adjustable drop links....
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Will follow up on all of the above.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10s - q's