is the 996 considered slow for today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
There are hundreds of Porsche club race and DE videos out there (youtube, vimeo, etc). I posted a pretty funny video of me in my old 996 (300 HP - with suspension mods) going head-to-head with a 550 HP 996 Turbo. Lots of power, but not so good in the twisties. lol.

-td
td,

In fairness that video reflected your skill as a driver more than real difference between the cars. With equal drivers a 996TT should fairly stomp a 996 C2 on any road course.

Crazy stuff like this can and does happen at DE's. I've passed multiple 996TT's in my lightly modded 986 (I even passed a 997 GT3 RS once) at DE's before but I have no illusion that I was driving the faster car, rather I was passing a less experienced driver.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
This is one of the best 996 videos out there!
This is also an excellent thread with great info. My question: What tire pressure setup will give the 996 more neutral handling?
Tire pressure is really for fine tuning. You should change other things long before you touch your tire pressures.

The first step is to address the end that is having the issue. If you are oversteering, you should start by softening the rear bar. If understeering, you should soften the front. [Of course you could do the opposite thing at the other end, but generally you adjust the other end only when you run out of options at the end with the problem]. Same goes for the shocks and springs (soften rear for oversteer, soften front for understeer). Keep in mind that if you have only 1-way adjustable shocks, you can't change bump independent of rebound. All that being said, if you don't have ANY adjustable parts, then you really have no choice but to mess with the tires.

It is commonly touted that 996s understeer, but I honestly can't remember this happening to me at the track when I had my stock setup. You really need to be going close to 9-10/10ths for this to manifest itself anyway. And, if you are understeering a lot, you can try trailing into the corner a bit to rotate the car and also keep some extra weight at the front. Anyway, to take out some understeer, you should stagger the pressures front to rear by lowering the rear or raising the front. But there isn't much room for movement in most tires before you start exceeding optimum temperatures. And not all tires react the way you would think when you change pressures.

I have found that the main reason most people in 911s complain about plowing on entry (severe understeer) is actually due to their braking technique and NOT setup.

Back to the original post - I have taken my 335 out to the track, and it is nowhere close to my old 996. Those 0-60 times mean very little if you can't put the power down coming out of a corner.

-td

Last edited by himself; 10-21-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Back to the original post - I have taken my 335 out to the track, and it is nowhere close to my old 996. Those 0-60 times mean very little if you can't put the power down coming out of a corner.

-td
+1 335 Is a good car for what I use it for DD. It is quick as others have mentioned, which can be fun on the street. It also handles well, for street driving. BUT when you take it on the track, it feels like you have the car full of the contestants on the Biggest Loser! Suddenly that "Torque" is hidden by the low reving engine and it is HEAVY in every way. Not to mention it'll try and overheat on you if you are a good driver and know how to "push" a car.

Again, as someone mentioned before. It depends on what you are looking for in a car to decide which one fits your needs. Both good cars in there own regard.

OT... This is what you do to get rid of the ****ty Run Flats on the 335.. So yea that torque can be fun
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

If all I cared about was 0 to 60 speeds in a straight line, I'd buy American.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

There are hundreds of Porsche club race and DE videos out there (youtube, vimeo, etc). I posted a pretty funny video of me in my old 996 (300 HP - with suspension mods) going head-to-head with a 550 HP 996 Turbo. Lots of power, but not so good in the twisties. lol.

-td
love this vid. thanks for posting
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by porschedog
If all I cared about was 0 to 60 speeds in a straight line, I'd buy American.

Well, that once was the case, but not so much anymore. A stock 996 6-speed will accellerate a new Mustang GT, a new Camaro SS, and a new Dodge Challenger SRT8 (and the recent Pontiac GTO and G8). They have more engine but they all have far more weight. Looking back to the original premise of the OP, horsepower-to-weight ratios on these cars are actually worse than the 996. And whereas torque gets the show in the road, there is a lot whole lot more show to move on those cars. And, interestingly, they have no more rubber in the rear than a stock 996, and they have no weight over the drive wheels. Tons of magazine write-ups and camparisons to research if you care, but the numbers don't support the current heavy metal pony cars as drag racers, without serious upgrades to the suspensions, and a serious visit to Jenny Craig.

I frequent www.challengerforumz.com and there is constant discussion there about the accelleration comparisons with the other three, and how to get the lead out and the power down on these cars.

Last edited by Thundertub; 10-21-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man you all are wasting your time, the 996 AND bmw are sandbaggin.
I actually got to drive one of the old 1989 Turbocharged 3.8L V6 Trans am's.
its 0-60 is 4.6 for a 3346 curb weight car! and it was produced 20 years ago!

referance=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Trans_Am#Trans_Am

http://89tta.turbobuicks.net/ttaspecs.htm

ok moderator we can lock and archive this thread now.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tooloud10
No, you're not going to outrun a new GT-R in any kind of car that doesn't also absolutely embarrass a 996.
we were running in the mountains...not in a straight line.

Quick Reply: is the 996 considered slow for today?