Sponsored by:

Porsche car cover - indoor vs outdoor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
befast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche car cover - indoor vs outdoor

Hi all, I will be parking my porsche in a multi-level garage type of space soon, and I am considering a car cover for it. Porsche makes an outdoor and an indoor cover. Is there a big difference? Given the semi-direct exposure to NorthEast weather, an outdoor cover seems like the more logical choice, but I am not entirely sure.

PS: the car is now a weekend driver only, so no movement during the weeekdays.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this in a former life. Used an outdoor cover to protect the car from dust, moisture, and possible door dings while I traveled during the week. It was an outdoor cover and was weather resistant, but not weatherproof, but in a parking deck/garage, this was fine.

The indoor covers I've seen are very thin and will offer little protection for anything other than dust.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by befast
Hi all, I will be parking my porsche in a multi-level garage type of space soon, and I am considering a car cover for it. Porsche makes an outdoor and an indoor cover. Is there a big difference? Given the semi-direct exposure to NorthEast weather, an outdoor cover seems like the more logical choice, but I am not entirely sure.

PS: the car is now a weekend driver only, so no movement during the weeekdays.
Big difference.

Indoor car cover light weight and designed to protect car against dust and possibly wayward cats. (Though the car cover can attract cat attention cause on top of car with cover nice place to grab a cat nap.)

Outdoor car cover much heavier and designed to protect car against not only dust, but water (water and dust will spot car paint in no time), bird mess, tree debris, and designed to stay on in high wind. Always best if you can though to arrange to park car away from any trees or other plants that can drop debris onto car and this includes in the case of wind possibly heavier debris like branches even limbs and which of course means no birds roosting above/over car. Be sure you avoid a space that receives water from an overflowing rain gutter or drain. And when I park in a covered space I avoid parking under sprinkler or water or drain pipes. They can leak and drip water (or worse) on the car.

If any chance car will be exposed to the outside weather even indirectly from wind blowing into garage with or without rain best to get a car cover made for outside use. Be sure it is securely fitted to the car.

Neighbor has a 993 Turbo (midnight blue) which he covers with nice outdoor car cover. Car parked under carport cover but exposed on all sides to wind and rain. Every so often when he's away on business I see car cover lifting off of car during times of high wind. I walk over and pull cover nice and tight back under the car.

Your car may not have a good neighbor like me to watch over it.

Be sure car cover snug and its elastic edges all the way under the body. My Boxster and Cayman outdoor car covers fit real nice and secure as long as I got the cover under all the way under the car. My Turbo only has an indoor cover and I don't use it cause I park car outside. I plan on buying an outdoor cover for it pretty soon. I'd like to find someone to buy the Cayman car cover since I no longer have the Cayman. Only used the car cover once or twice before Cayman totaled in accident.

Oh, both Boxster and Cayman covers Porshe branded. My Turbo cover will most likely be a Porsche cover as well. Good covers and at least the Boxster cover I got on sale. Sort of hoping to find a sale on the Turbo cover.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an almost new Porsche Weathershield cover I no longer need, if you're interested.
Has a Tequipment tote bag and cable w/ lock.
$190 when purchased new from Suncoast.
Price negotiable.
PM if interested.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used the Porsche Weathershields on my cars, they do very well.

If there is any chance of moisture, use a outdoor for sure.

Quick Reply: Porsche car cover - indoor vs outdoor