Sponsored by:

Might need new trans??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
I've searched thru a bunch of old threads on the subject.

Car is an '01 C4 manual, trans only grinds when downshifting into second when cold. Fine when hot, all other times fine, all upshifting fine. So it's the syncro.

But, drove 100miles north this w/e, and heard a couple times a medium pitched whine when under throttle between 3k-3.2k when at 70-75 mph, would disappear, then come back for 3 seconds, then gone... Would be hard to nice if the radio had been on or anything. Bearings?

Now I'm more scared about impending doom. Waaah.
Thoughts on longevity, when to fix, etc?

I doubt the oil has ever been changed, it's got 49k+ on the clock. Going to replace straight away (I got the car a 2mo ago).
What is the Shell oil Porsche recommends? Id like to get it locally if I can, so I can do this ASAP. (I've decided not to do the Redline or Swepco).

Swallowing $3.2k+ for a rebuild might be in the picture, but that's a real hard pill to swallow, while also needing the swallow the clutch/flywheel, and (cause I want to), the IMS bearing upgrade. I will do the work myself on a buddy's lift, but that's still a $4.5k tab in parts alone. Uggg.

Anyone have a core 31 trans for a C4 I could have for cheap? Lol! But having a spare ready would be nice, and get that rebuilt.

I've heard real good things about Gbox, and Erik over there talked to me at length this morning. Seems like a real quality shop and rebuild. Anyone with experience with them?

Thanks for any input, advice, info, kind words, unkind words, whatever.
I'd advise before having tranny rebuilt to have tranny/diff fluid changed and clutch hydraulic system flushed and pressure bled.

My 02 Boxster was starting to shift with difficulty when cold I had to skip from first to 3rd when tranny cold. Once warmed up shifting ok.

After fluid change (at dealer) shifting much better. Took me a while to unlearn the skipping from 1st to 3rd technique though.

Had the tranny fluid changed couple of times now. Tranny has over 225K miles on it. Shifts as good today as it ever has.

Fluid. Have it changed. Don't skimp. Have Porsche dealership service department do the fluid change and use the Porsche fluid. I have done this several times and I see no reason to risk using some tranny fluid du jour to save a few bucks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'd advise before having tranny rebuilt to have tranny/diff fluid changed and clutch hydraulic system flushed and pressure bled.

My 02 Boxster was starting to shift with difficulty when cold I had to skip from first to 3rd when tranny cold. Once warmed up shifting ok.

After fluid change (at dealer) shifting much better. Took me a while to unlearn the skipping from 1st to 3rd technique though.

Had the tranny fluid changed couple of times now. Tranny has over 225K miles on it. Shifts as good today as it ever has.

Fluid. Have it changed. Don't skimp. Have Porsche dealership service department do the fluid change and use the Porsche fluid. I have done this several times and I see no reason to risk using some tranny fluid du jour to save a few bucks.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Macster, thanks for the input! That's very hopeful news. I did do a clutch bleed when I did a brake bleed a couple weeks back (using a Motive bleeder). I'll report after I do the fluid change.

I'm real glad to hear your experience (and congrats on not needing a new tranny and for having such a high millage B!). I hope I have the same happy ending.

Quick Reply: Might need new trans??