Sponsored by:

High RPM might be good for IMS bearing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If your talking of IMS bearing failure, I doubt there has even been 1/4% and that is being generous to those selling the repair kits.

Remember, potential and reality are two differnt things. Potential is used to create fear and generates sales. Reality is the 99%+ of these engines that have no problems and people just enjoy their car and don't worry about potential problems.

So what is this site that claims 10% failure rate?
1999Porsche911, just as you want to see my data for 10% failure rate (I'm still searching for the original link!), I too want to see YOUR data for <1/4% failure rate. Since neither of us can give concrete numbers, we're both speculating, and so we can agree to both be right.
Jake is right, we'll probably never know the true numbers. They might not be as high as 10%, but I believe them to be higher than 1/4%.

FWIW, here's another link I found on the EXTREME high end of speculation. I don't think it's anywhere near 27% (Lol!!).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wil...35&PID=3179979
Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
1999Porsche911, just as you want to see my data for 10% failure rate (I'm still searching for the original link!), I too want to see YOUR data for <1/4% failure rate. Since neither of us can give concrete numbers, we're both speculating, and so we can agree to both be right.
Jake is right, we'll probably never know the true numbers. They might not be as high as 10%, but I believe them to be higher than 1/4%.

FWIW, here's another link I found on the EXTREME high end of speculation. I don't think it's anywhere near 27% (Lol!!).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wil...35&PID=3179979
Don't have any data, but we know that well over 150,000 M96 engines were produced, so unless you can show me 15,000 of those engines that failed because of an IMS bearing, I guess, we'll never know.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Listen, it's all a moot point when you compare our engines so called 10% failure rate with some Chrysler vehicles auto box failure rate of near on 100% over a six year period. I have a friend that was (now with Magna) an engineer at the Bramalea plant that said one out of every four trannies (Mexican built) leaked or failed outright right off the line - the rest elsewhere. I don't see people talking about class action lawsuits about these POS vehicles yet I read where a few people are *thinking* of suing Porsche over the IMS issue.

I doubt the 10% failure number (Excellence Mag has it at 20%-100%!! which is BS) and it seems to me that many, many other car makers have had far more issues with crap models then Porsche has had with the 986/996 designs. I've met quite a few 996 owners in the last year and have yet to meet ONE that has had an IMS failure. We've all *heard* of them but in my straw poll, haven't seen any.

The only thing 996 owners NEED to know is WHAT causes these failures which would lead us to perhaps change the conditions we drive under, type of driving and or service we could do to 'reduce' the odd's of a failure.

Thats where Jake might be able to help out as he seems to be one of the few people interested in knowing the 'why' part of these failures. Porsche no longer have a great interest here as most of the M96's should be soon out of coverage, perhaps CPO units are left.

Unless we know if it is too hard of driving, not enough driving, too hot a climate, too cold a climate, too many over rev's , not enough oil changes, not the right oil or not enough church going - some of us will drive around feeling as if the next mile is the last mile. I don't subcribe to the worry wort state - as much as it pains me to say this - it is JUST a car and nothing else. I drove by a guy in a crashed car (roof caved in) yesterday, and the EMT's didn't look to be in too much of a hurry - M96 issues are nothing in the big picture of life. I just drive my car and enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the amount of idle speculation and misinformation that is concentrated in that link (in the comments) is appalling
Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive and enjoy the car.. Or apply a preventive IMSR and enjoy the car.
It's personal preference kinda thing.

This time last year this topic didn't exist because the technology didn't exist as it lacked a critical aspect... Be glad that we can have this conversation about whether or not the bearing could be replaced.

The engines that have been saved this year with the technology would have been in the core pile somewhere as pure junk... Porsche wuld have been a bit richer.

I consider the ability to have this type of debate a pure success for the efforts of my company and LN Engineering.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I consider the ability to have this type of debate a pure success for the efforts of my company and LN Engineering.
Couldn't agree more.

It's always good to have choices.
Nice work.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
the amount of idle speculation and misinformation that is concentrated in that link (in the comments) is appalling
True enough, but you gotta enjoy this remark...

Porsche’s CEO Wendelin Wiedeking, and his CFO Harald Härter, should be congratulated on their masterful and cunning, but also devious scheme in which Porsche acquired VW. Since hedge fund managers are among the lowest forms of life on Earth, maybe Wiedeking and Härter should get a medal for giving them a taste of what they have been doing to the rest of us.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Couldn't agree more.

Nice work.
+1
Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Couldn't agree more.

Nice work.

+2
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lugging it.

Originally Posted by Macster
There is some benefit for subjecting the engine to higher rpms... but the benefit comes not necessarily from the higher rpms but in the higher g forces the car and engine is subjected too.
Manual shift drivers tend to shift into high gear to soon. The excess heat is created in the bearing when the car is driven with high loads at low rpm. Something a, drive like you stole it driver is less likely to do.

Quick Reply: High RPM might be good for IMS bearing!