Sponsored by:

Engine oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickker
Well, that is most interesting. Up to recently I have been thinking that Mobil 1 is the Holy Grail of motor oils, and 0w40 is the only way to go. Macster has recommended trying a higher viscosity oil and I do intend to do so, but not until next spring, since I drive my C4 during the winter.

I am quite amazed at the dramatic difference that you have reported. Maybe you are right about a commerial thing between Porsche and Mobil. However, there are apparently lots of 996s and 997s running out there using Mobil 0w40 and not consuming any oil. Figure that. Thanks for your story.
...Rickker
Just so we're clear. If you using Mobil 0w-40 oil and the engine is using oil you can try switching to a 5w-40 oil (and I think even a 5w-50 oil) as long as the oil is on Porsche's approved oils list (look up Mike Focke's web pages and he has a link to a newer (but not the newest I believe) Porsche approved oils list) and see if the different oil helps curb oil consumption.

If you want to use an oil that is not on Porsche's approved oil list, like for instance Mobil 1 15w-50 or Fuchs 20w-50 and so on, you're on your own.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Engine oil consumption