Sponsored by:

Red Tube Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
spinsall4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Tube Feedback

So let me start by saying that I am extremely skeptical about CAI/filter derived performance gains of any kind. Some seem to work, others don’t at all. There is so much banter on the boards over component quality, CEL triggers, engine contamination, MAF failures, etc. that its hard to make sense of it. Let alone, the marketing magic created by the manufacturers claiming overly optimistic power gains. To that, I had shied away from installing a CAI until this past weekend. I finally broke down and installed Fabspeed’s CAI (big red tube and cap) using a brand new stock filter element. I guess my curiosity got the better of me and I needed to know if the darn thing worked or not. As background, I own a triple black, 1999 996 Cab with 115K miles. The car is stock other than a full suspension upgrade and a set of Fabspeed Mufflers. I have only driven the car about 1000 miles but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The exhaust was already deep so the “sound” upgrade people discuss is limited. It’s there, but it’s not as pronounced. There does seem to be a slight improvement in thrust based on the ol’ butt dyno which I was not expecting. The most noticeable change is the power delivery. The throttle response is noticeably improved right out of the gate. Giving the relatively low price point, this was money well spent. Hope this helps. Happy motoring folks. See everyone at Laguna for the ALMS finals.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I've got one of these as well, and if nothing else it certainly sounds better.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the little plastic cap mod that imitates this and honestly I always felt slower, and while the sound on acceleration was nice, it lost the distinct burbling you get on deceleration which I have always loved.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

I decided to go ahead and get one of the Schnell red tubes also. All the posts about the K&N CAI fouling the MAF freaked me out, so this seemed like a good compromise including price. I have a performance exhaust, and it still sounds better then before. Seems to rev smoother. I can't say if it is any faster. Seems worth the $100.

Schwabische Auto / '01 C4 Coupe / '08 BMW ///M3 E93

Last edited by Schwabische Auto; 11-17-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

By the way, Anybody heard anything about the BMI oem replacement filters fouling the MAF sensor?

I had an AFE CAI on my old BMW and never had an issue with MAF sensor. I think AFE makes a oem replacement for the 996 also. Anybody had any experience with AFE filters and a 996?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a BMI filter and plan on cleaning it and reinstalling. I'm told not to oversaturate with the oil. Let it dry completely before refitting.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabische Auto
By the way, Anybody heard anything about the BMI oem replacement filters fouling the MAF sensor?

I had an AFE CAI on my old BMW and never had an issue with MAF sensor. I think AFE makes a oem replacement for the 996 also. Anybody had any experience with AFE filters and a 996?

BMI comes pretty dry, so no it won't foul the MAF.

Quick Reply: Red Tube Feedback