Porsche 996 2001 rattling noise when a neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Unlikely to be release bearing cause it would get loud when you depressed clutch pedal.

Noise most likely coming from clutch disc rattling about a bit on the transmission input shaft.

The splines have to have a bit of play and things are just a bit on the loose side the thing can rattle.

Normal though I will admit the noise a bit disconcerning. I hear it once in a while from my 02 Boxster and I think oh oh then remember to depress the clutch pedal and it goes away. Stays away too when I release pedal.

Even hear on from my Turbo, in fact it is worse from the Turbo even though Turbo has just 17K miles and the Boxster has 225K miles and AFAIK the Turbo's on its original clutch and the Boxster I know is on its original clutch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
i agree with you on the TO bearing, BUT if the play on the clutch disk splines is so great it rattles, hmmm bad sign. thousands of miles of accelerating and decelerating on loose splines will cause it to fail. i am no expert on these clutches, but i have done many on other cars.

none of us can diagnose the noise on the internet.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how the hell you get over 200K on stock clutch????
Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by savannah996
i agree with you on the TO bearing, BUT if the play on the clutch disk splines is so great it rattles, hmmm bad sign. thousands of miles of accelerating and decelerating on loose splines will cause it to fail. i am no expert on these clutches, but i have done many on other cars.

none of us can diagnose the noise on the internet.
Granted one can't hear the sound, although more than one person has posted an audio/video clip for help in getting a diagnosis. I usually try to id the noise to help the person. I seldom just limit myself to one source, but present several as long as the posted symptoms and behavior of the noise is consistent with the possible source or sources.

In thise case I haven't heard the sound and of course I can't know the magnitude of the noise but if real bad the noise could be a bad sign. But it may just be a sign the clutch disc is a bit loose on the input shaft splines.

Anyhow the conditions under which the noise appears and how it behaves suggests to me it is the disc rattling about a bit.

I don't know about a 996 but my 996 Turbo is not a smooth idler. Warmed up the clutch disc rattles a bit.

My Boxster is a very smooth idling engine, cold or warm, and yet once in a while I hear the clutch disc rattling. But when I depress on the clutch pedal then release it the noise stops and doesn't return. Ditto with the Turbo.

As for how to get 200+K out of a clutch.... I just drive the car. And of course slip the clutch very little. At first was a bit hard getting the car to move off but I read about the C-GT and its very sensitive clutch. The trick it turns out is to just let the clutch out slowly with the engine at idle and the engine controller will sense the slight reduction in rpms and compensate and then once car moving just continue to let the clutch out. It sounds difficult and hard on the clutch but I found with my 2.7l Boxster just bringing rpms up to 1000 and letting clutch out car moves off with very little slipping. Granted it is a bit harder to get car moving on uphill grade cause I rush the procedure cause car wants to roll backwards.

Oh, and I don't use the clutch to brake the car. I down shift and when I do at higher RPMs I rev match. I never heal/toe. Never learned how.

Most of the time I'll let engine compression slow car and when rpms drop enough -- to around 1000 -- select next lower car and repeat. When I get cose to the stop I slip transmission in neutral and roll up to stop using brakes to slow car to stop and hold it if necessary from rolling.

Get good miles out of the brakes too but not 225K miles. In fact brake warning light on and I have new rotors and pads ready to install when I have the time and weather cools a bit.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:33 AM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

I know we all love the roar of our engines, but those annoying rattles and noises? Not so much. I understand how even a small rattle can disturb the joy of the ride.

That's why I put my engineering background to use and created an easy-to-follow guide on how to find and fix those pesky car rattles. It includes a unique set of vibration simulation mp3 files - free to use for everyone. You can simulate the necessary vibrations without having to drive around, making it easier and safer to locate the source of the rattle.

Trust me; you'll love the peace and quiet on your next ride. Check it out! https://9xx.com/products/9xx-vehicle...tion-mp3-files

Last edited by atwong1; 05-15-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:22 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 137 Posts

I can't discern yet if this is a real thing or a joke...but I will look into it further!

Does it include the failing Cat Converter rattle? Cause I gots that one!
Old 05-17-2023, 03:37 AM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
I can't discern yet if this is a real thing or a joke...but I will look into it further!

Does it include the failing Cat Converter rattle? Cause I gots that one!
The files worked great for me under a few conditions:
1. the speakers can play the sound files properly and accurately
2. the rattling is inside the car.
Now, I have never tried it for the CAT, but I imagine it's not a direct link to the speakers, it may not work. Please be careful don't turn it too loud because I am not sure if they can harm the speakers. Each file has different frequencies, and some frequencies do hurt my ears when loud.

If you have heard of my 9XX Experience, I used these files to make sure that the owner/student fastened all the screws properly, including the not-so-obvious ones. Now, these files do sometimes locate loose fasteners outside of what we worked on during a 9XX Experience, but according to the rules that I have set, we need to address those too. Now that I have the files open to all, everyone can do a precheck before they pick me up from the airport. No more excuses for picking me up in a rattling Porsche!

Last edited by atwong1; 05-17-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:31 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,065 Likes on 954 Posts

Ummmm this thread is 14yrs old.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 2001 rattling noise when a neutral