Sponsored by:

Repair or replace wood trim pieces

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or replace wood trim pieces

When I purchased my 02 cab the wood trim piece behind the steering wheel (that wraps around the speedo, tach, etc) was broken in a few places. The cracks have gotten a bit worse and I'm thinking of trying to repair/replace them. Anyone have to do this before or have any recommendations? Is it able to be removed, glued back together and remounted, or do I need to get a new piece?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear it's expensive and pretty fragile; lots of folks report that it splits (I'd imagine that a cab might split more since it's more open to the elements, even though the top seals well).

I'd say try to re-adhere the pieces coming off, and fill the cracks with a carpenters wood filler that is designed for super high end woods (not home depot garbage). Talk to a finish carpenter and get info.

Worst case is you replace it, but might as well try to fix it and make it look better first, nothing to loose.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Originally Posted by peavynation
I hear it's expensive and pretty fragile; lots of folks report that it splits (I'd imagine that a cab might split more since it's more open to the elements, even though the top seals well).

I'd say try to re-adhere the pieces coming off, and fill the cracks with a carpenters wood filler that is designed for super high end woods (not home depot garbage). Talk to a finish carpenter and get info.

Worst case is you replace it, but might as well try to fix it and make it look better first, nothing to loose.
Yeah I have 2 bigger cracks and a couple small ones. It sags pretty badly from the top as well. I tried just pushing it back in, but its very fragile. I may try pulling it off and reattaching it in pieces, filling in the cracks.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I mentioned earlier I am very familiar with your car but I don't remember the wood trim around the intruments but that sounds cool. Anyway I ended up with the wood trim wheel and it has many cracks on the top section so if you find a solution you like please PM me. In the meantime I'm trying to find a factory wheel (all leather--no wood) on ebay. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Originally Posted by rwiii
As I mentioned earlier I am very familiar with your car but I don't remember the wood trim around the intruments but that sounds cool. Anyway I ended up with the wood trim wheel and it has many cracks on the top section so if you find a solution you like please PM me. In the meantime I'm trying to find a factory wheel (all leather--no wood) on ebay. Good luck.
How bad are your cracks? Mine has one on the back side of the top wooden section, thin but running left to right. I can feel it, but it doesn't appear to be bad and it's still fully intact. The wood around the instrument cluster however I'll need to R&R. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:51 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone's interested, my standard plastic pieces are available:
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2009, 05:22 AM
JReid
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwiii
In the meantime I'm trying to find a factory wheel (all leather--no wood) on ebay. Good luck.
It's tough to tell from the pic in your avatar but, assuming your interior is natural brown, if you find a surplus of all leather factory wheels on eBay please let me know. The top wood insert on my wheel is also cracked. I'd like to replace the shift **** and e-brake with all leather items as well but haven't come up with much (that isn't fiendishly expensive).
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One of the guys in our region (PCA) went back to Porsche and complained. Porsche replaced it without charge. (He's an attorney, so he might have worded the complaint a special way...)

Quick Reply: Repair or replace wood trim pieces