996 C4 died on freeway last night, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by peavynation
You're kidding me?! Zip ties?! Haaa!!
Well it looks like maybe Porsche knew their factory clips could fatigue and ultimately let loose.
That fix was a different issue. Nothing wrong with my clips on my car just the design of the hoses leads to them falling and getting in the way of the flapper valve. But yeah, the fix was to tie the hoses to the flapper valve...that's an official TSB.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
That fix was a different issue. Nothing wrong with my clips on my car just the design of the hoses leads to them falling and getting in the way of the flapper valve. But yeah, the fix was to tie the hoses to the flapper valve...that's an official TSB.
Hey!! That might be MY problem! I've notice that I can't always get a full tank of fuel. The fuel filler gun thing keeps clicking off over and over, but when I get in the car, the gauge reads slightly under full. I was going to start a thread seeing if anyone had this issue. Do you think this could be it? The hoses getting in the way?

I thought that maybe the hoses snaking all over like that might also get in the way of the float sensor for level indication.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

After being in there I'd say its actually a VERY good possibility that the hoses are obstructing the foat and not allowing it to go all the way to the top position to read a full tank of gas.

Could make for a good saturday afternoon project for you. I can't remember if your car is a C2 or not. If it is you have to remove the battery and battery tray to expose the top of the tank so it's a bit more involved than just removing that cover like the car pictured in this thread...but really only a fex extra minutes to get at everything.

Andy

Hey!! That might be MY problem! I've notice that I can't always get a full tank of fuel. The fuel filler gun thing keeps clicking off over and over, but when I get in the car, the gauge reads slightly under full. I was going to start a thread seeing if anyone had this issue. Do you think this could be it? The hoses getting in the way?

I thought that maybe the hoses snaking all over like that might also get in the way of the float sensor for level indication.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
choogenboom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting TSB, thanks for posting it. It does make a note of the issue I had, ie the end caps on the "jet pumps" aka "venturis" coming loose. Note that in my case the zip ties were used to secure the end caps on the jet pumps. I always keep a stash of zip ties on my boat for repairs; I just added a handful of them to the tool kit in my car. I suggest other 4WD owners do the same as it seems like only a matter of time before the end caps will fail. The repair can be done in minutes on the roadside with no tools if you can get the big union nut loose. I had to tap it loose with a wooden mallet, and it helps to wet the threads with some gas.

I did not pay attention to hoses interfering with level float or flapper valve (are we fixing porsches or toilets); when I get new quick disconnect clips I will address that issue concurrently.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
choogenboom
Intermediate

Nice! This thread should be copied and pasted over on RennTech too, super good info/picts.
My bad, I did read that you swapped the clips in the thread, but didn't realize that it worked. Order up 100 clips and you can be our Go-To Guy for these things. Mark them up double or triple if you want.

BTW, I'm an electrical engineer too.
When I locate a source for the clips I'll pass it on to pelican parts and encourage them to stock them - its not a business I want to get into
Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CHOOGENBOOM,
Thanks for the pics and diligent work-up. I think we will all use this resource at some point.

AUDION19S,
Thanks for posting the TSB. I think I may need to do that soon, as mine is becoming more finicky on fill-ups.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by choogenboom
Interesting TSB, thanks for posting it. It does make a note of the issue I had, ie the end caps on the "jet pumps" aka "venturis" coming loose. Note that in my case the zip ties were used to secure the end caps on the jet pumps. I always keep a stash of zip ties on my boat for repairs; I just added a handful of them to the tool kit in my car. I suggest other 4WD owners do the same as it seems like only a matter of time before the end caps will fail. The repair can be done in minutes on the roadside with no tools if you can get the big union nut loose. I had to tap it loose with a wooden mallet, and it helps to wet the threads with some gas.

I did not pay attention to hoses interfering with level float or flapper valve (are we fixing porsches or toilets); when I get new quick disconnect clips I will address that issue concurrently.
Cool, thanks choogenboom, I think I'll do this soon, just as a preventative measure. Plus I like working on my cars. So are you saying that I can not only use the zip ties to pull the hoses together, but also to keep the cap on and prevent the problem that you encountered?

When I locate a source for the clips I'll pass it on to pelican parts and encourage them to stock them - its not a business I want to get into
Lol! I don't blame you. Hopefully Wayne will get 'em on his site.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
choogenboom
Intermediate

Yes, zip ties can be used to positively secure the endcaps. Thread a small zip tie between the two hoses that terminate on the venturi assembly and then around the center of the endcap. The endcap also has a little appendage that sticks out a little with a slot in it - I threaded it through that slot as well. Look at the pictures I posted, you can see it there. Wish I took a picture of the final zip tied assembly but words will have to do.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
peavynation
Pro

Yes, zip ties can be used to positively secure the endcaps. Thread a small zip tie between the two hoses that terminate on the venturi assembly and then around the center of the endcap. The endcap also has a little appendage that sticks out a little with a slot in it - I threaded it through that slot as well. Look at the pictures I posted, you can see it there. Wish I took a picture of the final zip tied assembly but words will have to do.
Thanks choogenboom, you're the man.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well What do ya know! While driving down the highway today...

Studder studder...loss of power...coast to a stop. Car will restart...but won't stay running for more than 3 seconds. I'm thinking the same issues has hit my car.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Well What do ya know! While driving down the highway today...

Studder studder...loss of power...coast to a stop. Car will restart...but won't stay running for more than 3 seconds. I'm thinking the same issues has hit my car.
Keep us posted Lysoleverywhere!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

after a close up inspection it looks as if the Venturi tube was the culprit. A piece was broken off.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has lysol posted any pics yet??
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

oddly enough someone stole the bad venturi tube while I was in the house. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to not have to use the blasted venturi tubes. I replaced the fuel pump and only one venturi tube. The car will start fine now, but it seems to only have about 2/3 the power that it normally has. May have to replace the other venturi tube.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venturi system has struck again. Thanks for this thread.

I lent my '99 C4 to my son to see his mom `125 miles away. (He is 33) about 100 miles out the car just dies on the freeway 25 miles from destination. Had it towed to mom's house and has worked on this with very limited tools for a couple of days now here is what he found and his fix. Car is running now,yeah!

Does anyone know where to get the venturi tube assemblies cheap?

Thanks for all your info here

Quick Reply: 996 C4 died on freeway last night, wont start