996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cheap 'O' BMW side skirts on 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mother, you know I love the RUF stuff. Great idea on the skirts, good job getting out the peel, really clean overall look on the car. Of course if you want to go just a little further, drop Eric over at bumperplugs a line and pick up a black doorplug for the keyhole. (Thought I'd share a little of my OCD!)

You've inspired me to buy a nice HVLP and try painting something.

I'm on the blackberry today so my apologies if I missed this, but how did everything go with the motor/SC etc?

Best,
Hans
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

Will do on key cover... little touches can make a big difference, but there is a drawback I have to unlock and lock the car once a week I have enjoyed the simplicity of the RUF kits since they started making them and you have good taste. I will be installing the SC back on when it gets cooler in a month or two here in Phx, Az and update the SC thread. I am a little nervous I hope FVD is still around to finish my tune. I will have to let AAA know when I going to do this also since they will probably see more of me.

I did redesign the reservoir and install the stock pcar third rad upfront to fit the RUF front and have also been trying to think of a way of redoing my intake to the SC, but have come up empty especially when trying to do it in plastic/polyethylene for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Mother; 01-10-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mother
Thanks,

Will do on key cover... little touches can make a big difference, but there is a drawback I have to unlock and lock the car once a week I have enjoyed the simplicity of the RUF kits since they started making them and you have good taste. I will be installing the SC back on when it gets cooler in a month or two here in Phx, Az and update the SC thread. I am a little nervous I hope FVD is still around to finish my tune. I will have to let AAA know when I going to do this also since they will probably see more of me.

I did redesign the reservoir and install the stock pcar third rad upfront to fit the RUF front and have also been trying to think of a way of redoing my intake to the SC, but have come up empty especially when trying to do it in plastic/polyethylene for a reasonable price.
I really wish I knew how to play with at least basic trim settings in motronic, relying on all these third parties can be scary I agree. FVD should be OK in the fatherland no? Are you worried about their US presence?

Is your charger the same as the newer Vf Engineering kits? (I think they are the self oiled SQ Vortech). If so have you thought of buying the intake parts from them and cutting to fit? I saw a whole kit for sale in your area cheapish (hopefully it isn't yours!) http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1372241222.html

Maybe he can part out the intake or give you some notes.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mother - OT but I used a - **** you not - toilet/sewage rubber reducer (4" - 3") from Home Depot (that connects to the intake side of the SC) and 2 - 90 degree 4 inch PVC elbows for my Vortech intake.

I had to shorten the flange on both elbows that would butt together to make the radius I needed to make 180 degrees for the intake.

Looking at yours, if you used a 3" to 3 1/2" elbow, the radius might make it.

Mine was pretty slick inside so turbulence was minimal and boost increased.

Love to see the fabrication you put into it if you have any pics.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by htny
I really wish I knew how to play with at least basic trim settings in motronic, relying on all these third parties can be scary I agree. FVD should be OK in the fatherland no? Are you worried about their US presence?

Is your charger the same as the newer Vf Engineering kits? (I think they are the self oiled SQ Vortech). If so have you thought of buying the intake parts from them and cutting to fit? I saw a whole kit for sale in your area cheapish (hopefully it isn't yours!) http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1372241222.html

Maybe he can part out the intake or give you some notes.
FVD stopped doing custom tunes from my understanding especially when so many where dropping 3.4 engs in there boxsters with little understanding of what they where doing so they lost money can't blame them. Since I was one of the first SC customs that they did they said I was safe and would finish the tune but that was from FVD USA, I beleive my tuned files go directly to germany via the internet where they do there magic on my data readings. The one on cragslist is not mine the one I used is a SQ V2 with the drain to the crankcase, but for the price he's asking it's not bad. Vortech will not sell the intake last I checked.

Last edited by Mother; 09-15-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tippy
Mother - OT but I used a - **** you not - toilet/sewage rubber reducer (4" - 3") from Home Depot (that connects to the intake side of the SC) and 2 - 90 degree 4 inch PVC elbows for my Vortech intake.

I had to shorten the flange on both elbows that would butt together to make the radius I needed to make 180 degrees for the intake.

Looking at yours, if you used a 3" to 3 1/2" elbow, the radius might make it.

Mine was pretty slick inside so turbulence was minimal and boost increased.

Love to see the fabrication you put into it if you have any pics.
Tippy,

I tried the PVC hence the bad welding job, as I recall the larger "outside dia" of the PVC did not work because it would not fit without hitting the rear frame of the car. Here is a drawing of the room from SC to rear frame of car which is 3.25 in. If I could find some thin walled high temp polyeth/abs I could try filling with sand and heating and bending, The whole project is pretty much fabbed which part you talking about regarding pics?

Last edited by Mother; 01-10-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

FVD stopped doing custom tunes from my understanding especially when so many where dropping 3.4 engs in there boxsters with little understanding of what they where doing so they lost money can't blame them. Since I was one of the first SC customs that they did they said I was safe and would finish the tune but that was from FVD USA, I beleive my tuned files go directly to germany via the internet where they do there magic on my data readings. The one on cragslist is not mine the one I used is a SQ V2 with the drain to the crankcase, but for the price he's asking it's not bad. Vortech will not sell the intake last I checked.
Well I doubt Vortech even makes an intake for our application, however I would give the guys at VF Engineering a call. They are the guys who make the kit (as pictured in the ad I linked), basically bundling the intake and the front rad and the tubing and the tune and injectors with different Vortech chargers/coolers. They were very open when I spoke to them last, and while I decided against the S/C they do seem like good enough guys, they might just sell you an intake if thats what you want. They've produced kits with the crankcase oiled V2 blowers as well, I could almost guarantee that you'd be able to replicate a tested design if nothing else. I can't remember the owner's name off the top of my head, but call up wit some technical questions about their kits and you'll get over to his desk.

VF-Engineering
1365 North Dynamics Street, Suite E Anaheim, California 92806

tel.: (+1) 714-528-0066
fax: (+1) 714-528-0067

sales @ vf-engineering.com
technical @ vf-engineering.com
accounts @ vf-engineering.com

The other guys to talk to are EvoMS, they used to resell the VF kit(specifically the older one using the same blower you're running) and they should be able to help you source the intake and any other tubing you might need.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

The only way to get one from VF is to order the whole kit..they where not very helpful same as Evom's. I can always use the one I have to complete the tune.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Oh OK I didn't realize you'd been so far down that road. Well if the one you've got works then nothing to worry about right?

Does FVD include some good dyno time in their tune price?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

The car is dyno-ed on the road in real time... WOT readings cruising, idle, gear shifts uphill and down etc for me the best all around tune is what I am after. I record on my laptop the data runs which are usually around 1/2 to 1 hour.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Tippy,
The whole project is pretty much fabbed which part you talking about regarding pics?
Yes, the pic you displayed is what Im talking about, the Vortech inlet pipe. That is what I fabbed from PCV and toilet/sewer parts .
Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Love to see how you did it and was it for a pcar ... Got pictures!!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Love to see how you did it and was it for a pcar ... Got pictures!!
Nah, it was for my '69 Camaro. When I get around I will post a pic of it, I still have it, not the car though.

Quick Reply: Cheap 'O' BMW side skirts on 996