Sponsored by:

+ just bought a 2001 Porsche Carrera 996 have questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vince,

Clueless on the sunroof switch.. May I suggest renntech.org where you may get some serious technical responses.

BTW: Pardon the 996 forum, it seems to have been taken over by asshats with ADD and no reading comprehension skills.

As for the warranty, search in the 996 forum and their are plenty of old discussions over the years regarding warranty companies and price examples.

Best of luck and welcome to Rennlist.

-Paul

Originally Posted by porschegrp5
I just bought a 2001 Porsche Carrera and have a few questions. I love the car, it's fun to drive. The former owner told me that it takes three tries to close the sunroof. He said he sent over $600 to remedy this problem, with no avail. I wonder if some of you have experienced the same problem. It will close after a third attempt.
Another question that I have, I am looking for a warranty company that would ensure this car with any mechanical problems. So far everything is fine. I had the engine and the transmission checked by a local Porsche mechanic that I use. I also own a 1970 9/11 Porsche.
I would appreciate some input on those two items
thanks again,
Vince
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Don't get your panties in a twist Paul, we're just having a little fun. I don't think I'd go as far as calling people on the 996 forums asshats (well, most of them anyway).

I think this is an excellent source of technical information when it is available, but it also has more of a social element than renntech. There is another thread on the sunroof switch issue, and no good answers yet. I think that a good response would have been posted if anybody actually had a good answer. If you search renntech.org for this issue, you'll find suggestions to re-train the sunroof, which is the same thing that was suggested here. I think both sites are excellent, and I use both frequently.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bella1;6893696]This is all I have. One issue involves the 996 and the seats. The width of stock or GT3 Seats is 16". My Racetech seat is 15" and I had a company make these brackets which allow you to use sliders or not. The Safety Devices cage is fine but not as rigid as a custom job. I have Moton 3 Way shocks and upgraded suspension GT 3 parts. FVD Headers with stock cats and muffler by pass pipes. Stock intake of course as required. And I still have additional weight I will need to remove, legally of course, to really compete in Stock H. Best of luck with your conversion.

>high jacking here< sorry but i have to comment on the narrowness of the stock 996 seats. i am 230lbs and 5'10" not huge but not skinny either. these seats are great except for the narrow backs! is there any adjustment or mod? i know prob not. and no i dont have thousands to replace them with custon seats, so i guess i might be stuck. but i do not regret getting her at all!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just measured my seats; 10"!!!! in the center. and 16" when measured across at the top of bolsters! my back is 15" wide so i ride on the bolsters.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
This is all I have. One issue involves the 996 and the seats. The width of stock or GT3 Seats is 16". My Racetech seat is 15" and I had a company make these brackets which allow you to use sliders or not. The Safety Devices cage is fine but not as rigid as a custom job. I have Moton 3 Way shocks and upgraded suspension GT 3 parts. FVD Headers with stock cats and muffler by pass pipes. Stock intake of course as required. And I still have additional weight I will need to remove, legally of course, to really compete in Stock H. Best of luck with your conversion.

On another note, if you want my advice, I would buy a race car already built. Consider the new Spec Box Class. I co drive a Spec Box a NJMP two weeks ago. They are a blast and you can get one for $30,000 or less. I highly recommend Scott Leopold and Kenny Shreves at Werkstatt. It was one of their cars I drove. Check their website http://www.werkstattcville.com/

Also, the Spec Box Website is helpful http://www.boxsterspec.com/portal.html

Thanks for the photo's and info about your build. I hear you about the spec box, plenty of them are now running in Texas, I am considering that route. But with 996 prices in the 20s, more should be converted to track (CR) use. I am working on a budget for both. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: + just bought a 2001 Porsche Carrera 996 have questions