Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why did you move on from a 996 or why are you considering moving on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep wondering about the next car. The roads around Seattle are pebble surfaced, which are loud inside the car. There are times I'd like room for more people.

I can make arguments for so many specific features in other cars. But I keep coming back to the 996 is comfortable, well balanced, good in traffic or out on a back road. On the highway, I can get 27-30mpg; mine has been dependable with no signficant maintenance issues. I could replace it with other cars that are different, but none that are genuinely better for my particular tastes.

Faster models are tempting--but I'm stingy and the fuel/maintenance costs of faster cars just don't pencil out. The 996 is fast enough, I would have to spend Many thousands of dollars just to gain a few tenths of a second. Under what conditions could that make any real difference (since my income does not depend on the speed of my car)? I could get a bigger car, but I'd miss the handling.....and on and on.

Easy to find something different, but hard to find a better balance of handling, comfort, (relative) economy, practicality, etc.

On the other hand.....a Caterham would be a kick. Since I live on an island, an Amphicar would be odd--but fun. I would like to own, again, a '67 275 GTS Ferrari (but the high values take the fun out of just driving them). It would be fun to own an interesting, vintage V-12/V-16 Cadillac/Packard/etc. Frankly, even one of the old straight engines would be fine. I miss cars with Character. (which often surfaced as imperfections)

But every one of my more interesting choices would be cars I could or would drive less than the 996. I can't imagine driving them to work, on errands, leaving them out on occasion or driving them in bad weather.

Maybe at some point the 996 will start to give up the ghost and the newer 997-2 style, DFI, no IMS Porsches will have been in production long enough to prove themselves and I'll find one that's a couple of years old w/ about 9K miles & do another CPO. But by then, who knows what fuels or issues we'll be facing. So, this may be the last interesting car for me.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM
jwilberdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

owned and raced a lot of 911's, but the "bang for the buck" factor is what one me over. Being able to snag a one owner, 85k car for almost 1/3 the price brought me back into the fold after almost 2 years without a 911 daily driver
Old 09-05-2009, 10:22 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Apples and Oranges. A BMW is refined, quieter, and probably faster in a straight line. But a Porsche 911 is a Porsche!

As a daily driver, I would choose a new BMW any day of the week. As a killer sports car with racing heritage and style - any 911 beats any BMW in my mind!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
A new 911 with DFI and variable displacement oil pump and only 300HP is VERY tempting.

Why must technological advancements always equal more HP and less FE.
Huh? Variable displacement oil pump? The new Carrera 3.6l DFI motor makes 345hp, not 300hp. Even the Boxster S is now over 300hp. The new DFI Carrera S is 385hp, more than the previous S X51. Fuel economy with the PDK has improved on the Carrera to 19 city/27 highway. The 6-sp DFI Carrera S makes the same highway mpg as before, but 1 more mpg in the city. That was part of the benefit to DFI, is improved fuell economy. What is disappointing is have to pay gas guzzler tax on the new GT3, but that is off topic.

Originally Posted by AndyK
Apples and Oranges. A BMW is refined, quieter, and probably faster in a straight line. But a Porsche 911 is a Porsche!

As a daily driver, I would choose a new BMW any day of the week. As a killer sports car with racing heritage and style - any 911 beats any BMW in my mind!
First, yes this is apples to oranges. The Carrera is a sports car while the BMWs are touring cars. Have you driven a E46 M3 and 996 back to back? I did this before buying my 996 4 years ago and the differeneces were obvious. The E46 M3 is not quieter and certainly not faster than a Carrera 3.6l in a straight line. A stock E46 M3 or 335is will not run high 12's down the 1320, while a Carrera 3.6l will. If you go up to 150, the Carrera 3.6l will reach that speed about 5 seconds quicker than either of the BMWs. The M3 and 335i do have a fantastic engines with almost limitless amounts or torque. They have more interior features in a well laid out interior. What comes with this is steering, shifter and pedals that are not as direct. It has a chassis that over a couple hundred lbs heavier than a 996 and yet is not as stiff. Add another 100+ lbs more going to a 335i. The M3 also does nothing but understeer when pushed hard. It is a shame with how well balanced the previous E36 M3 was (especially the 95). Strangely, the 335i is a lot more neutrel than the E46 M3. It is also very soft, so don't expect the best grip in corners. Are the BMWs better as daily drivers? It depends on criteria. If it is more room and a more subtle ride, then yes. If it is all out speed, driver's experience, feeling of the steering and chassis; then no.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 09-06-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

As I contemplate a XK8 07 you gotta admire a man who thinks with his butt ! Notice the 911 is everyone's target for there product.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:22 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
you gotta admire a man who thinks with his butt
...still trying to wrap my head around this one...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
As I contemplate a XK8 07 you gotta admire a man who thinks with his butt ! Notice the 911 is everyone's target for there product.
Originally Posted by ArneeA
...still trying to wrap my head around this one...
If you stop trying to wrap your head around it, and instead, wrap it around your head, you'll get better idea of what thinking with your butt looks like:
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The only things I would consider if I sold mine would be: a 996 Turbo or GT3, a 997 C4S, Turbo or GT3.
No Targa 4S?

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
I'm using my 996 as my daily, and I love it. I smile every time I get in the car, and continue to smile until I leave it in the garage.

I sold my e36 M3 for it, and went for the 996, because the e46 wasn't enough of an improvement. The 996 will leave the garage, when I can afford a GT3 to replace it.

-Jon
Jon, glad you're enjoying the new car!

Originally Posted by ervtx
My butt said "buy the GT3" (The GT3 engine reverberates through the chassis and delivers an intoxicating sense of its power right to your spine).
I've driven a friend's GT3 both on the street and on the track. The sound of that engine getting close to 8k RPM is beyond seductive!! But, in the used market, 996 GT3s are going for 2x what a regular 996 is going for... And the regular 996 is at least 80-90% as good.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a guy wanting to buy my 996. I only wanted to, and I mean the only reason I wanted to get rid of it, is I wanted a manual.

Just so happened a man loved my car and wanted to buy it - he did.

Luckily, my friend was selling his 500+hp G-50 trans'd Carrera 3.2 with 964 bumpers, turbo 3.6 wheels, and coilovers.

I couldnt pass that up!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, btw, I'd buy an '02+ for a daily driver if I could right now. I still love 'em.

Love to throw the MKII aerokit front bumper and skirts with the MKI taco wing or MKII wing on one!!! Sekzeee.....

Quick Reply: Why did you move on from a 996 or why are you considering moving on?