Federal Emissions Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Federal Emissions Warranty

So this was an interesting question posed to me today:

If you've had a cat replaced under federal emissions warranty, does the replacement cat come with a new warranty specifically for the cat or does all coverage end when the original emissions warranty period for the vehicle expires?

If anyone knows, I'd love to be able to relay the answer.

Best,
Hans
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new part doesn't extend the warranty. All coverage ends when the federal emissions warranty is up.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
C4SnNJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally if you have the part replaced at a dealer the replaced part will come with a one year/12k mile warranty. Only the replaced part. Some dealers may be different and some aftermarket shops may have a shorter warranty. If your asking if it extends it out another 8yr/80k the answer is no.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I will let you know, my car goes to the dealer for a bad cat tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. Marc I look forward to yours as well.

The reason for the question was the lack of clarity in the EPA's publications:

1. The EPA mandates an (8/80 or 7/70 depending on vintage) "Performance Warranty" on 3 systems, cat, ECU and OBD, deemed critical to maintaining emissions performance of new vehicles. All language in the EPA's publications is tied to vehicle mileage.
2. the EPA (along with several states under CARB) mandates a 5 year / 50K warranty on all aftermarket catalytic converters (obviously the OEM replacement part is not assumed aftermarket) specifically drilling down that warranty to the part itself.

So my friend, trying to draw a logical bridge in the worst possible way, assumed his replacement cat would have to be held to a similar standard as any aftermarket cat (5/50). I didn't think that was the case. Looks like his codes are SAI related though, might just be a loose hose, but in any case for those of us who had cats replaced at lower mileage (both of mine were replaced at 45K) its a good question.

Quick Reply: Federal Emissions Warranty