Sponsored by:

Tiptronic oil change time...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tiptronic oil change time...

Does anyone have pictures of the location of the drain & fill holes? I found the article on renntech but my my02 tranny looks nothing like the pictures. Also, the article has conflicting info on which fluid I should use....

Do I need to change the differential oil?!

Im assuming I need to remove the center underbody cover to expose the tranny plugs...

thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless you're having problems with rough shifts, I'd leave the ATF alone

The 02+ trans should be "lifetime" fill

FWIW I have an MB with 90K on that same trans, has had a grand total of 500ml of ATF added in 9 years (due to a leak from a faulty plastic junction, not from the case), still shifts perfectly and that car cranks out way more torque than the mk2 NA carrera
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Marlon
Drifting

'Search' should reveal that a lot of folks that have gone thru the nutroll of changing the front diff fluid sort of realized: Ooooops - a lot of hassle for naught maybe.

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Does anyone have pictures of the location of the drain & fill holes? I found the article on renntech but my my02 tranny looks nothing like the pictures. Also, the article has conflicting info on which fluid I should use....

Im assuming I need to remove the center underbody cover to expose the tranny plugs...

thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine serviced at 80something thousand miles. C4S Tip, so both front and back oil were changed.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

thought those needed replacing at 90k miles. im at 84.5k
Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its kinda a pain in the *** and really really messy. I just a few on some 986's. Fluid temp is really important to get proper fluid level.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

You also need a special tool to measure the level, and an infrared thermometer, I have the MB tool.

I won't advise you to go against the factory recommendation, do what you think is best. I just personally wouldn't touch it until shift quality forced it on you. This generation MB trans is highly sensitive to fluid levels and pressure, and flushing them is a common way of precipitating failure.

Examine the fluid, if there's a lot of color in it, cloudy, and a ton of metal, then make a decision either way (still would base on shift quality).

Make sure you buy a trans dipstick tool (not sure if dealer will sell) and buy a cheap infrared thermometer (you'll see why). I didn't realize you had a C4, if so remember that the Diffs take different fluid than the Auto trans. You can buy the ATF from Porsche, MB or Chrysler, it's almost the same price across the board (expensive, but don't feel tempted to substitute, and you can't use the old stuff off the old recommended fluids lists). Diffs still take 75w90 gear oil, pelican or suncoast both carry.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2

thanks
Make it easy on yourself and have dealership service do Tip and diff fluid changes.

Contrary to other opinions, I'd not wait until shift quality deteriorates to change fluid. That's too late. I think you're smart and car savvy to seek a Tip/diff fluid change.

If coolant 4+ years old consider having coolant changed while the car's in the shop.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

sorry for the confusion - more info:
my 996 is a c2. its shift smoothly right now. I have a new crate engine in the car from porsche as of 4k miles ago. at the time the engine was replaced, 1 litter of ATF was added which I think is 1/2 the service quantity...but the filter/gasket were not replaced. I want to replace the ATF to stay within the recommended service by the owners manual.

I spoke with my non-Porsche mechanic who said he has done these ATF changes on BMW and Benzes and the process is very similar. he has that fluid pump tool thats needed... I want to be educated before I go forward with this. My local Porsche dealer is Manhattan Porsche and I have some conflicting opinions on the quality of service there and would rather avoid them

Quick Reply: Tiptronic oil change time...