996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Installation Cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What good would a SuperCharger be absent lowering the static compression ratio(***) to take optimum advantage of the BOOST pressure, intercooled BOOST pressure presumiably. Same with TurboCharging but much more important.

I can't imagine that doing it correctly would cost anything less than 6-8,000 dollars.

*** double head gaskets or thicker ones.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:27 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
What good would a SuperCharger be absent lowering the static compression ratio(***) to take optimum advantage of the BOOST pressure, intercooled BOOST pressure presumiably. Same with TurboCharging but much more important.

I can't imagine that doing it correctly would cost anything less than 6-8,000 dollars.

I guess you have never experienced driving a high compreesion engine that is boosted. Night and Day compared to a low compression setup. High compression engine is much more powerful at low rpm than is the same setup on a lower compression engine.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what she said
Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I guess you have never experienced driving a high compreesion engine that is boosted. Night and Day compared to a low compression setup. High compression engine is much more powerful at low rpm than is the same setup on a lower compression engine.
My point is/was that if the engine CR is already close to optimum, and what Porsche engine isn't, there isn't much "room" for an increased dynamic CR using Boost even with an intercooler.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

My point is/was that if the engine CR is already close to optimum, and what Porsche engine isn't, there isn't much "room" for an increased dynamic CR using Boost even with an intercooler.
It's not the dynamic CR we are interested in. It's the boosted compression ratio. At a ratio greater that 17:1, I find it quite rewarding. The substatial increase in the effective compression ratio is just as rewarding.

Maintaining high CR in an engine maximizes performance in off boost driving.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How long is the install?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A higher CR engine with boost will make more down low power, at the compromise of the capability to run higher boost...

The ability to drop CR slightly (1 point) with the usage of our head gasket shims is a possibility. I like to keep moderate CR with boost for the best mix of reliability/performance/longevity/safety.

A new intercooled supercharger kit is being tested now, its nothing like anything presently on the market.. The biggest handicap of a supercharged set up is elevated intake temps that reduce output and increase the chances of detonation.

I am finishing a boost specific engine combination now... Slightly less CR (through custom pistons), head work, enhanced valve train and a set of boost specific cams, etc.. But I prefer a Turbo. :-)
Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Everything else being equal, it make no difference whether you have low compression high boost or high compression low boost. If boosted compression ratio is the same, the risks and rewards at maximum boost are the same. However, the engine with the higher CR will overall, out perform the one with lower CR.

Boosting a 9.6:1 engine with 13.5 lbs of boost is no safer than boosting a 11.3:1 engine with 9 lbs of boost.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Boosting a 9.6:1 engine with 13.5 lbs of boost is no safer than boosting a 11.3:1 engine with 9 lbs of boost.
But, we know which one all things equal will make the most power.

Boost ftw!

I think that was wwest point.....I think.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:10 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tippy
But, we know which one all things equal will make the most power.

Boost ftw!

I think that was wwest point.....I think.

Yes, we do know. The maximum power will be virtually EQUAL with a slight edge to the car with the lower boost due to less heat generation. Furthermore, the car with the lower maximum boost will have more power off boost and at low boost, so overall performance goes to the car with the higher static CR and lower boost.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
Dan, specifically what happened reliability wise? I'm very curious - Hans
Phil had a problem with the output hose (about 2-1/2 in diameter) sucking down upon itself and some fuel starvation issues. One shop was trying to sort out whether the s/c was a factor or not. The owner is now seriously reconsidering his choice to s/c the 9974S in the first place as it has loads of torque of hp to start with (355 PS). I suggested that he learn to drive what he has now before he worries about adding another 100 hp. He's new to the 911 concept.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Phil had a problem with the output hose (about 2-1/2 in diameter) sucking down upon itself and some fuel starvation issues. One shop was trying to sort out whether the s/c was a factor or not. The owner is now seriously reconsidering his choice to s/c the 9974S in the first place as it has loads of torque of hp to start with (355 PS). I suggested that he learn to drive what he has now before he worries about adding another 100 hp. He's new to the 911 concept.
sounds like install issues to me.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Yes, we do know. The maximum power will be virtually EQUAL with a slight edge to the car with the lower boost due to less heat generation. Furthermore, the car with the lower maximum boost will have more power off boost and at low boost, so overall performance goes to the car with the higher static CR and lower boost.
I disagree on this point. Putting more air into a motor will make more power than squeezing the air more.

Unless you have far exceeded the impellers efficiency and are trying to achieve more boost once out of its range, then I agree.

The other point, If you mean that the overall torque/hp curve is flatter with the higher compression/lower boost, I buy that but I like big hp #'s.

Originally Posted by Edgy01

The inlet hose can collapse but not the outlet. Fuel starvation is not the kits fault either.

Starving a forced inducted motor is very detrimental. I've lost many from it.

The only way I predict he was starving for fuel and knowing this was the car was cutting out. Running lean will just start melting things like the head gaskets or pistons.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by atx.911
Did they have to do anything else after installation?
You should read this whole thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...charger+thread

-td
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tippy
I disagree on this point. Putting more air into a motor will make more power than squeezing the air more.

Unless you have far exceeded the impellers efficiency and are trying to achieve more boost once out of its range, then I agree.

The other point, If you mean that the overall torque/hp curve is flatter with the higher compression/lower boost, I buy that but I like big hp #'s.
You ALWAYS disagree with me which, by definition, makes you wrong. What I stated is absolutely true on paper and in practice. There is no "unless" since we agreed on "all things being equal".

Quick Reply: Supercharger Installation Cost