Looking a 2002 c2 on Friday, looking for some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ1
well, went and looked at it.
I didn't ask to see the service records though. The car was immaculate, no leaks or drips. Took it for a spirited drive everything was nice and tight feeling. All electrical seemed to function fine.

Does not appear to have been in any accidents didn't see any signs of damage. The guy has nice cars. No spots in the garage where it was parked no signs of recent cleaning of the floor either.

The driver side front fender was replaced along with the windshield he told me a deer jumped the car. In the area it was quite plausible he lives next to a forest preserve.

I'm going to call the dealer he bought it from (Joe Rizza Porsche) to see about scheduling a PPI. If the PPI goes well it might be time to talk some numbers. It was a damn nice car.

-Karl
If driver's side front fender replaced check edge of fender that bolts to shelf next to trunk. Look to see there are no depressions in the paint of the fender where the bolts were loosened and the fender moved when paint soft.

Run clean finger along edge of fender along gap next to front trunk and around a-piller and along door edge feeling for roughness.

Front trunk, front bumper cover and driver's door should have had their base coat paint blended and clear coat reapplied. Therefore check all panel gaps for roughness.

Next with good light check a-pillar brace -- where door fastens -- for accident scratches. Check very carefully there is no paint damage where fender edge runs close to the a-pillar. Also check fender didn't make contact with leading door edge.

At PPI be sure tech checks all front bumper cover fasteners are correct. Very common when these cars repaired to have the wrong fasteners put in the wrong holes.

I'd suggest you have tech remove front bumper cover and check mechanicals underneath ok. Radiator and A/C condenser headlight and its in fender connector and washer can all get damaged from deer hit. Be sure all fasteners are present too. Body shops typically do poor job with the mechanical repairs. Ideally to preserve any existing warranty on car or any warranty on new parts parts should be bought from PCNA -- no reconditioned/aftermarket parts used -- bought through Porsche dealer and installed by Porsche tech. Many body shops skip some or all of the above.

If front glass replaced check operation of wipers, washers, head light washers, and radio reception. Have tech check for any signs of water getting past windshield. Lastly be sure windshield glass "factory". I do not know if aftermarket glass available yet but it might be and you don't want it.

If tech can find no signs of any repair then repairs high quality.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck - gotta say I like the color & wheels....
Attached Images    
Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got off the phone with "Charles" from Rizza.
Results as follows
Hi-tone horn not working
Rear Tires at tread wear indicator
needs a new battery
Brake fluid flush.

They recommended the 30k service sooner rather than later.

No signs of accident damage, no rust.
They commented it was "really clean"

-karl
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJ1
Just got off the phone with "Charles" from Rizza.
No signs of accident damage, no rust.
They commented it was "really clean"

-karl
All small items, really. Except the 30k service will set you back and you should consider that "part of the price." So - only thing left finalizing price, right?

Good luck - you won't regret your decision - beautiful car and so much fun.

ADDED NOTE - Is that a built-in Radar/Laser system under the front bumper???
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

yep on the built in radar...

-Karl
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Just got off the phone with the tech.

Rearmain seal seepage

bank 2 valve cover seepage as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cool photos from the biltmore!
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJ1
Just got off the phone with the tech.

Rearmain seal seepage

bank 2 valve cover seepage as well.
Mmmm. Not sounding so good... It's tough with a car that's almost 8 years old, what do you do?

If no one's mentioned it, you can always search for one with a recently replaced engine. If I were shopping again, that would be a strong consideration. A factory replacement engine is a relatively easy, direct swap and comes with a new/rebuilt starter, alternator, and more importantly new/updated seals, etc. Contrary to what I thought when I was shopping - I was staying away from cars w/replaced engines!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Tech said its not a full blown leak yet and that he would wait until the car needed a clutch to address it.

I'm a bit hesitant at this point does RMS=new/replacement engine?

I haven't spoken to the owner yet, I don't know if he got the report from the PPI or not but I intend to talk to him tomorrow or so.

Thoughts from the crowd?
-Karl
Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Sorry but thats not cheap... even considering the mileage.
Agree - if you really want that car, you should be able to get it for around $30K. The market is incredibly soft. Believe me, I know.

That is a nice c2 however.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

make them fix the stuff. or take down the price accordingly
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJ1
Tech said its not a full blown leak yet and that he would wait until the car needed a clutch to address it.

-Karl
Sorry - Really! I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't purchase, nor that an RMS leak implies you should have a replacement engine...

I only meant that IF that was enough to scare you off, then you could consider the option of finding a 2002 with a replaced engine... and that could be an attractive option for some.

It sounds like a great car and if you like it, what's the worst case? A new RMS with a clutch when you're ready? I'm not sure about the leaking valve cover, but again, with age, probably just a gasket replacement...

Others may know more - I was just trying to be helpful but I'm no expert.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RMS leak is not a big deal. Internet hysteria syndrome. Just monitor oil usage (as you should do anyway).

The reason the tech recommended to wait until the clutch needed replacing is probably due to the labor cost. Works the other way around also: If he felt that you needed to have the RMS leak addressed immediately, he'd probably say "hey by the way, this would be the best time to replace the clutch if you think you might want to do that any time soon".

eDoug is spot on re: replacement engines. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt says "replacement engine = bad car". The reality is just the opposite. You not only get minor improvements from the newly designed parts used on the same engine design (RMS is one of them), they are also the least likely to have future problems, and probably come with a new 2-yr warranty that the previous one likely did not have due to age. Since most replacement engine cars for sale do not command any higher price, everything else equal, FUD can lead you to pass up thousands of dollars worth of unpriced value.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Oh I wouldn't have a problem with a car with a replacement engine.

I do have a problem with this one, and its leaks though. I don't think its a F.U.D. thing. I'm looking for the "right car" and to me that is one with out leaks. I'll take higher mileage with records any day of the week.

This car was certified until January 09, these issues should have been addressed. Rizza's service dept didn't have records since 07 on it. Original belts and spark plugs...

This isn't my car. Which is a downer as I'm ready to buy, but I can hold out for the right one which will have a black or tan interior anyway

-Karl
Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd suggest either having those issues fixed before buying, or as mentioned, at least reduce the asking price by that amount. I'd venture most of us have similar weapage problems with our 996s, but that shoudn't be a deal breaker unless these PPI results scare you. All of my reading in Excellence, Total 911 etc. have detailed these exact occurences, so these aren't uncommon by any means. Seems that all 911s have their share of oil leaks or other nuances that can be listed by model and year. GL

Quick Reply: Looking a 2002 c2 on Friday, looking for some thoughts