996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CPO - Minor radiator leak covered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question CPO - Minor radiator leak covered?

Took my 996 to Tucson Porsche had a very minor radiator leak (or near radiator anyways). They are working issue sounds like discussions with CPO are underway to establish if its covered or not.

Was curious if anyone tested this out yet.

If its not covered, any experience with what the going dealer rate is to fix a radiator?

I have a 2003 C4 with 3 radiators, the leak seems to be coming from the passenger side radiator.

thanks,
John
Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

All you can do is cross your fingers and hope the CPO gods deign your repair to be worthy of their coverage. I swear they flip a coin for the not too expensive ones. Or they might come back and say although this isn't a covered item, they will cover it this one time for goodwill reasons. Feet kissing is optional.

If they won't cover it I would take it to your Indy. It will cost you less. It isn't that hourly rates are very different, it's the book rate dealers use for repairs. They don't charge you the amount of time a repair actually takes, they charge the amount of time Porsche says a repair should take. At least that's how I think it's done.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting--I just checked my CPO "covered" list and it is not obvious that radiators would be covered. The are pretty exposed up there in the front . . . Let us know what you find. I will say that I have been happy with my CPO experience. Not everything has been covered, but the serious things have been!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

It also depends on when you got your CPO. My CPO started in March of 2008, which was before the CPO change in August of 2008. My understanding is that prior to August it mainly covered moving parts and after August it covered a lot more, for example: I had a coolant cap cover go bad and was told it was not covered but it would have been it my CPO was after August of 2008.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes uberskier is on the money here w/ regard to the change in policies.

I do not believe any leak in a coolant line will be covered under the old CPO, unsure about the radiators themselves.

If it's any consolation, the radiators are fairly inexpensive (all things considered) and look like they are much easier to install, than say the expansion tank on the other end.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have the 'older' CPO, and as predicted above, the center radiator, which has a minor leak, is not covered by CPO. I'm still awaiting the dealer quote for repair, I'm going to go ahead and have them do that, since the car is already in their shop.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM
jsmirand
Racer

It turned out to be $630 parts and labor to replace the center radiator with a new unit at the local Porsche Dealer. I am ok with that, they have done good work in the past. While there I did buy through the Porsche dealer a 3 year 36k extended warranty as CPO coverage is about to expire. It covers almost everything except an exclusion list which is composed mostly of items that wear down (e.g. rotors, suspension).

I can continue to enjoy my 996 for 3 more years with peace of mind. By then, probably time for a 997.

John
Old 08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
...While there I did buy through the Porsche dealer a 3 year 36k extended warranty as CPO coverage is about to expire. It covers almost everything except an exclusion list which is composed mostly of items that wear down (e.g. rotors, suspension)...
John, Could you scan and post the specifics on that warranty? Is is through PCNA or a 3rd party? Cost? Can you scan the list?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have a scanner at home, and the warranty is ~10 pages, so no scan available, but some details:

Coverage is through a 3rd party that the local Porsche Dealer works with. Cost was $1800 for "Platinum" coverage, $100 deductible, adds 3 years and 36k miles to a 2003 C4 with 22.5k miles on the odometer and with a 10% sale the price came down to ~$1620.

I am more comfortable with a warranty company that the local Porsche dealer operates with and vouches for which I presume will make it a more smooth transaction should the need arise. I've had good experiences at Tucson Porsche so have no reason to think they would partner with a company that would disappoint their customers That doesn't guarantee anything perfectly of course, but I think it helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
Hi, I'm sorry I don't have a scanner at home, and the warranty is ~10 pages, so no scan available, but some details:

Coverage is through a 3rd party that the local Porsche Dealer works with. Cost was $1800 for "Platinum" coverage, $100 deductible, adds 3 years and 36k miles to a 2003 C4 with 22.5k miles on the odometer and with a 10% sale the price came down to ~$1620.

I am more comfortable with a warranty company that the local Porsche dealer operates with and vouches for which I presume will make it a more smooth transaction should the need arise. I've had good experiences at Tucson Porsche so have no reason to think they would partner with a company that would disappoint their customers That doesn't guarantee anything perfectly of course, but I think it helps.
Wow, I have to say that sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John for the warranty info. And I have to agree Jon.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old Thread, but i had a similar situation this week... My Front Pass Rad was Leaking... While searching on here i came arcross this thread and was a little dissapointed about the Rad not being covered under CPO... Well i just picked up my car today from the dealer (Dropped it off yesterday) and guess what... Mine was covered under the CPO... and i have the Old CPO... I wonder why they dint warranty yours...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think some dealers double dip and have Porsche and the owner pay the repair.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I think some dealers double dip and have Porsche and the owner pay the repair.
lol i dont know... When i asked my Rep weather it was covered Under CPO Warranty, he said he does not know untill the Tech cheaks it and then he looks it up in the System via the VIN Number and it shows what is covered and what is not... I mean i was suprised that my "Seat Heating Element" that broke was covered under CPO
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Previous posts have one dealer paying for something another dealer says is not covered

Quick Reply: CPO - Minor radiator leak covered?