Sponsored by:

Tinting Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tinting Headlights Question

This question is spurred by Sneaky Pete's yellow headlight pics. They look good and I didn't want to hijack his thread. A glass company (not side of the road tinter) I'm doing some business with says it's not good to tint headlights (or fogs or breaklights) for two reasons not withstanding the decreased effectiveness of the light or legality. He says tinting over plastic never works long term. Second, he says exterior tinting never works long term. He said max success would be tinting the inside but still have the plastic problem and won't work. So, the thread question is, anyone tinting exterior lights and still look good a few years down the road with no bubbling?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a friend with a 540i and he had his tail-lights tinted not with a thin-film but with a special paint material that is applied directly to the lights covered by a top clear-coat, look really good, OEM-look... That tinting procedure should last longer than any tint films, I suppose... I think there are some guys on eBay doing this kind of business and should work on any cars. Cheers,
Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't worry about hi-jacking....The film is actually 20 mil thick. Should be the same as the clear bra paint protection systems. Thats why I sought a film to begin with but I can get colors too. My main point is the film should have longevity as long as the car is cleaned on a regular basis and smartly. Hand wash not a brush car wash. Just like anything else it will longer if you take care of it.

Quick Reply: Tinting Headlights Question