996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feedback requested for LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter for 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Heads to the race shop next week to get the cage going and start the suspension work.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

A fellow Rennlister emailed and asked me to come and answer some questions with regards to the spin-on oil filter adapter.

During the design process, we started looking at the factory filter housing and discovered several iterations, with simple changes like plastic thickness. There were also not so obvious changes to the bypass, more specifically, the pressure at which it bypasses oil, which in our opinion, was too low. This results in most of the oil being bypassed.

The idea of full-flow filtration is not a new one. It's been done for decades on aircooled VW engines, where 100% of the oil goes through a filter without a bypass. The spin-on oil filter allows selection of a filter for full-flow filtration. This obviously requires a special filter, one designed for this kind of application.

As a matter of convenience, we chose a spin-on filter from a current GM engine that comes with full flow filtration from the factory. This provides several readily accessible filters from any local auto parts store, often on sale at the same time as your oil of choice, (Napa Gold, Wix, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, K&N Gold) that provide better filtration at the same price or less than the factory one.

The other benefit of a steel bodied filter is to use a filtermag. These engines do generate LOTS of ferrous debris, as can be witnessed by using one of these or a magnetic drain plug.

The spin on oil filter adapter also allows for the use of Canton Accusump adapters to easily plumb in an Accusump into a track car. We have an Accusump setup in our Boxster, which was already mentioned.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Can you point me to your accusump setup?

And thank you for the explanation. Have you found a filter you think works best with the Boxster for good flow AND protection?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 filter is a whole hell of a lot easier to change the the filter on my wife's Malibu, or on my old 924S. All you need is a strap wrench from wal-mart and it comes right off.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Here's a picture of the installation in our Boxster. Using the electric high-flow valve set up to turn off with ignition off so it doesn't purge when you shut the car off. Right now the switch is in the trunk, but I plan on putting a dash mounted switch, so it's easier to actuate for pre-oiling and to turn it off when done at the track for the day.

We're using a single input sandwich adapter, with a stubby little filter, but the best setup would be to use Canton's 90 degree rotating filter block-off that provides an in and out. Then you can put a larger remote filter. That's what most of the shops doing these installs should be doing.

I have been using Napa Gold filters for years. They are of equivalent micron rating to the original filter element. The Napa Gold 1042 is the part number to use that is full-flow and maintains the same ground clearance. As I change my oil very often with the purpose of testing different oils, the Napa Gold is the most cost effective for me since I buy them in large quantities. The Mobil 1/K&N Gold/Royal Purple branded filters that cross for this filter are all made by Champion and have synthetic impregnated media, capable of better filtration while maintaining the rated flow.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not discovered any cons associated with the spin on filter adaptor yet and I am sure we've evaluated and installed more than anyone. The second unit ever made was installed onto my Boxster test car and my 996 also has one, as well as every engine we've built since the unit was developed.

I prefer the protection of a metal oil filter canister over that of plastic. The simplicity of installing an accusump, external cooler or larger in line oil filter are all benefits IMHO.
I'll keep buying them and offering them as standard equipment on my updated performance engines..
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spin-on filters dissected

Speaking of spin-on filters, here's a cool link to some guy that dissected them all and did a nice write-up.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I have not discovered any cons associated with the spin on filter adaptor yet and I am sure we've evaluated and installed more than anyone. The second unit ever made was installed onto my Boxster test car and my 996 also has one, as well as every engine we've built since the unit was developed.

I prefer the protection of a metal oil filter canister over that of plastic. The simplicity of installing an accusump, external cooler or larger in line oil filter are all benefits IMHO.
I'll keep buying them and offering them as standard equipment on my updated performance engines..
Jake, have you done an m96 engine with an external oil cooler and accusump? If so, how much more oil is needed for that setup? TIA.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redridge
Jake, have you done an m96 engine with an external oil cooler and accusump? If so, how much more oil is needed for that setup? TIA.

Yes I have and I am working on another now... I also plan to do this to my 996 after the next track day.

According to the filter used the accusump and external system can take an added 3-4 quarts of oil as the cooler and accusump both add volumes of oil.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 AM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the billet spin-on oil filter adapter and I like it. Oil changes should be a lot easier (if it could be any easier) and cleaner since the whole filter comes off at once... if you get the K&N filter you don't even need a filter wrench since there's a bolt shaped molding at the bottom...

Rudy
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

How are y'all choosing a filter with this setup? I do like the idea and will definitely move to it here shortly when I install the accusump in my spec boxster.

And Jake, I was asking what was the shortcomings with the stock setup were, not if there were any cons with the spin-on setup. It's obviously a great thing but I'm trying to understand the science behind any rec'd to go with the spin-on. I've read up on what the spin-on system offers but would appreciate any info on the STOCK setup.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

The stock set up has a plastic housing- I am doing my best to remove the plastic from within these engines. Service time, heat and constant exposure to oil is taking its toll on all the plastic parts and we are seeing more and more evidence of this as we tear into engines.

I am trying my best not to post derogatory information about stock parts, because all it does is create drama that I don't have time for... and generally I end up arguing with someone that doesn't even change his own oil, so it really ends up as a waste of energy.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for your candor Jake.

Let's assume that you made a replacement billet housing cover to replace the stock plastic one? What would be your thoughts on the stock setup then? I guess I should have phrased it better in my initial post as I understand that the plastic could be a shortcoming to the system. I was more interested in your thought on the current filter setup (not including the plastic cover.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I hate that darn plastic housing. Will be glad to see it gone.

Jake,

I just ordered a spin-on and magnetic plug. Looking forward to putting them on.

Last edited by medtech; 08-03-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

I hate that darn platic housing. Will be glad to see it gone
I use them for target practice.

Quick Reply: Feedback requested for LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter for 996