Sponsored by:

GT3 Bilstein Coils. Ride ok for street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TdiRacing
This will not be a full race car so I do not want a race coilover system with knock your teeth out stiffness. I ran Pss9 on my VW's and they were actually a bit on the soft side for my taste on the street. That is why I now run Full race custom shocks for track days and just regular sport shocks for the street.

Re: my 996, I have read a few threads with people who have installed these and feedback is positive for the most part. I am sure the ride is stiff, but not like full race suspensions...
IMO, PSS9 and the GT3 suspension will not feel that different. If you find the PSS9 soft, you probably won't like the GT3 either. Neither is anywhere close to a racing suspension. I guess you could put 600/800 springs in your car...

-td
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 AM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want it that stiff either because I live in Baltimore, MD were the streets are really horrible. Bad as NY roads...lol

I can get a set of decent used GT3 coils for less than a set of pss9's, so might just try them out and see how they feel. Have to be better than stock 99 C2 suspension...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't want it that stiff either because I live in Baltimore, MD were the streets are really horrible. Bad as NY roads...lol

I can get a set of decent used GT3 coils for less than a set of pss9's, so might just try them out and see how they feel. Have to be better than stock 99 C2 suspension...
Be sure you get everything you need. A lot of people buy springs and dampers as a "good deal" and then have to buy spring perches, upper mounts, etc. to get them to work. Some get new wheel carriers, but I don't think they are necessary. Don't forget lower control arms and sway bars. Ultimately, it may be cheaper, but not much - and you don't have the PSS9 adjustability.

You should ask Paul about his transformation, or just ready his thread.

-td
Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 AM
TdiRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the threads about this. I found a guy with complete assembled Gt3 Coils with perches and springs, mounts and all. No control arms and swap bars sourced yet. Do I need the control arms to mount these coils? Still learning about these cars...
Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You need drop links if you swap the sway bars also. You do not need control arms. I almost feel guilty for telling you that, search!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 you don't need control arms. The GT3 susp literally bolts into a C2 nothing else needs to be changed.

The stock GT3 susp already has camber compensation in the monoball strut mounts that won't negatively effect caster.

GT3 sway bars are a must.. If you are doing the GT3 susp w/ GT3 sway bars then you can just use the stock GT3 drop link. You don't 'Have to have" adj drop links unless you are building a track car that needs to be perfectly corner balanced.

Just read the threads about this. I found a guy with complete assembled Gt3 Coils with perches and springs, mounts and all. No control arms and swap bars sourced yet. Do I need the control arms to mount these coils? Still learning about these cars...

Quick Reply: GT3 Bilstein Coils. Ride ok for street?