Sponsored by:

Car & Driver Summer Tire Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/....jsp?ttid=118&

Tirerack's latest review came out, and showed what we all wanted to see: RE-11 vs Star Spec vs Ecsta XS vs AD-08. Looks like an awesome new crop of tires any way you cut it! Of course, once again, TireRack goes and does something stupid like ranking extreme performance summer tires by including noise and ride comfort with the performance tests. WHY, TIRERACK, WHY?? I think they gave the Kuhmos an unfair overall rating; the Kuhmos look to be just phenomenal dry tires, even if they do suffer in the wet. I mean, 1.01gs on the skidpad? :shok: Looks like the AD08 carry a similar 14F temperature warning to the AD07s, which is a consideration for many of us, too.

Last edited by sjfehr; 07-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 14f was a worry for me at first until I realized how often temps in my area rarely get that low while I'm driving. However the AD07's in the winter allows you to slide thru turns which can be fun. I couldn't get the Star Specs to break without considerable effort. I didn't know much about the RE's I love Bridgestone tires, I might have purchased them instead of the star specs had this test been available in January.

Originally Posted by sjfehr

Tirerack's latest review came out, and showed what we all wanted to see: RE-011 vs Star Spec vs Ecsta XS vs AD-08. They did Looks like an awesome new crop of tires any way you cut it! Of course, once again, TireRack goes and does something stupid like ranking extreme performance summer tires by noise and ride comfort. WHY, TIRERACK, WHY?? I think they gave the Kuhmos an unfair overall rating; the Kuhmos look to be just phenomenal dry tires, even if they do suffer in the wet. I mean, 1.01gs on the skidpad? :shok: Looks like the AD08 carry a similar 14F temperature warning to the AD07s, which is a consideration for many of us, too.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, my GF had my truck so I had to actually think on that one. Worked first try though. I was so proud of myself..

Originally Posted by fpena944
If she's too tired just check out Washington DC Porsche's picture above!!!

Holy crap, you must have gotten some looks when you pulled up to the tire shop. Talk about efficient use of space!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr

Tirerack's latest review came out, and showed what we all wanted to see: RE-011 vs Star Spec vs Ecsta XS vs AD-08. They did Looks like an awesome new crop of tires any way you cut it! Of course, once again, TireRack goes and does something stupid like ranking extreme performance summer tires by noise and ride comfort. WHY, TIRERACK, WHY?? I think they gave the Kuhmos an unfair overall rating; the Kuhmos look to be just phenomenal dry tires, even if they do suffer in the wet. I mean, 1.01gs on the skidpad? :shok: Looks like the AD08 carry a similar 14F temperature warning to the AD07s, which is a consideration for many of us, too.
Good find! Thanks for posting that. Tire technology is getting so much better now. It's really nice having so many good choices.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sumis had a Mexico run today and they were just fine up to 126 when I had to back off.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM
ryangambrill
Pro

3,000+ miles on my Sumi's and they are fine. I drive my car daily and could not justify the price of the PS2's.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
gstreev
Racer

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

For the $, I'd go with these.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd prefer a tire of Chinese or Korean manufacture. And I must have blue smoke when drifting. Given these requirements, the PS2 is clearly a lame pretender.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Summer Tire Test