996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant by the Gallon??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on distilled water and water wetter, I always keep plenty of both around. I returned the last gallon of porsche antifreeze I purchased because they changed colors a couple of years ago and I was too scared to mix since the cars under warranty. So I just used distilled water and a touch of water wetter, coolant still same color. You could definitly skip the water wetter.

And don't overfill or you'll get that sweet smelling blowoff!

BTW If it's at minimum when cold you're fine in a 3 radiator car, it's an expansion tank.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Aaron,

If I am not mistaken you can pick up the Redline water wetter from Autozone, or Pepboys.

In your case, I wouldn't even worry about it. Just add the distilled water in your reservoir and you are done. There are still plenty of antifreeze in your cooling system to lubricate the water pump.
Robin, good to see you on the board again!

How's the 360 so far? Try any DIYs yet? Easy enough to work on? Reliable?

I'm getting major temptations as prices are in the floor on 360s, but the thought of insanely expensive dealership clutch jobs and services scares me (esp. the way they seem to handle timing, seems like I lack the technology!)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but why cant one use the antifreeze sold at R&S straust or autozone? My car came with 2 small bottles of Porsche antifreeze which I thought was a crazy thing to buy...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
+1 on distilled water and water wetter, I always keep plenty of both around. I returned the last gallon of porsche antifreeze I purchased because they changed colors a couple of years ago and I was too scared to mix since the cars under warranty. So I just used distilled water and a touch of water wetter, coolant still same color. You could definitly skip the water wetter.
BTW If it's at minimum when cold you're fine in a 3 radiator car, it's an expansion tank.
Actually no 3rd radiator on my car. I thought it came standard, but it does not.
I added some distilled water and the Redline last night. I like the Redline product and will probably use that in the future as well.

Originally Posted by PasPar2
This may be a stupid question, but why cant one use the antifreeze sold at R&S straust or autozone? My car came with 2 small bottles of Porsche antifreeze which I thought was a crazy thing to buy...
Not a stupid question.
Yes you can use aftermarket antifreeze as long as it is the long lasting type and approved for aluminum, etc. However other people much smarter than me recommend that you do NOT mix antifreezes, as it is possible it may congeal into a soupy "jello" type mixture.

After reading about the "Water Wetter" I feel confident that this product is safe to mix with Porsche and other antifreezes.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

what about using the wetter product in northern states? bad idea?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the winter, yes. Summer, no.

Edit: As in, water wetter does almost nothing to stop freezing.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

no wetter for me then!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Volkswagen's coolant (blue) is also very good stuff.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Marlon
Drifting

..and if you spill it on your car, no worries
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Volkswagen's coolant (blue) is also very good stuff.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
what about using the wetter product in northern states? bad idea?
Nope, perfectly fine. According to the manufacturer you can mix w/ any antifreeze, no problem. See the website for details.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Water wetter is a great product.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Visit your local VW dealer and get a gallon of the same coolant that Porsche uses for $24/ Gallon. In a pinch just add some distilled water.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have used the VW coolant in my 996 when I changed my water pump, no issues with compatibility from the existing factory Porsche fluid.

It darned on me that why the hell am I putting antifreeze in southern California afterwards. So I have not used antifreeze since. Distilled water provides better cooling than antifreezem, adding the Redline water wetter makes it even better and provides the lubrication that's needed.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by htny
Robin, good to see you on the board again!

How's the 360 so far? Try any DIYs yet? Easy enough to work on? Reliable?

I'm getting major temptations as prices are in the floor on 360s, but the thought of insanely expensive dealership clutch jobs and services scares me (esp. the way they seem to handle timing, seems like I lack the technology!)
So far so good on the 360, put 4k miles on her last year. Still your typically Italian car BS that you have to deal with. Like bad oil temp sensor that goes crazy after 230F, convertible top not working realiable, crazy dash warning lights that's does not repeat itself, cracking exhaust header issue just like the 355s, potential pre-CAT prone to break up and get sucked back into the engine etc.... Scrapping everywhere you go. Much more drama than the reliable Porsche cars.

As far as servicing and working on them, it's no big deal just like any other car. I have already invested in several specialized tool to service the 360. (Like a belt tension gauge that measure the tension using vibration frequency) Chris and I already did one clutch job on the 360 F1, no big deal just a lot of stupid things to remove before you can get to the transmission.

If you really wanted to get one put aside $10k as repair fund in case anything goes wrong.

The Ferrari looks beautiful, sounds absolutely amazing (from the flat crank design and the firing order nothing to do with the exhaust), turns head everywhere you go. But that's all.... Everything else pretty much sucks about it.

Quick Reply: Coolant by the Gallon??