Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ascwarranty.com/asp/profile.asp

You have to purchase these through a dealer but I did a ton of research before I bought a warranty for my Mercedes AMG and thought this was a great deal. Only had 1 claim filed so far but they took care of it no problem. $0 deductible and completely exclusionary (They cover everything except what they list as wear items like brakes, tires, etc). They were much cheaper than AAA Warranty and others too.
If you need a dealer to contact who sells them let me know.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I called a P Dealer a little further away. They said $1800 for the 24/24 Powertrain Warranty. Also requires an oil change and inspection for another $315.

I asked about any occurrence limits - he said "no such limit" and then he said "what if your engine blew up?" He is mailing to me the contract so that I may read the details.

If I was searching for a used 996 to buy, I know that I personally would be willing to pay $1K extra, if not more, for a 911 that had a warranty (even with, say, only six months left on it) that was backed by a P Dealer. So I think I would recoup a good % of this warranty cost once I was ready to upgrade...

I will let you know if I find any hidden bombs in the contract.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can they stay in business??? well, not all the cars they insure they blow up. The 30,000 insurers without any mechanical problems or claims will pay for the ones with $15,000 for new engine. That how insurance/extended warranties work. They never factor the worst case scenario with every car to blow at the same time! LOL!
Do a search and see how many claims for new engines went thru without problems.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
Thanks Todds911, AAA doesn't seem like a winner!

Are you guys actually refering to AA Auto Warranty? If so, they have more than 1 type of plan. Quite a few actually. I have a 5 year additional and 75,000 mile "OEM mirror" exclusionary policy. This is the kind you want as it lists out exactly what is NOT covered (mostly normal wear items).

The coverage was equal to or better than OEM, and yes it covers the engine. For an extra $165 one time payment I got a $50 deductable policy. I think my total was around $2600, purchased last Sept.

It also includes $50/day rental car coverage for any work that keeps the car overnight. Mine was issued through a company called Royal which is an A+ rated insurer and no complaints BBB member. AA Auto Warranty is simply a broker for several insurers, so can't really rip them.

I have had a $900 audio replacement which cost me my $50 deductable. They pay all bills with their credit card directly to the repair shop. So far so good.

They do have an initial 30 day/1000 mile exclusionary period.

p.s. The policy my Porsche dealer wanted to offer me turned up a lot of bad information through various searches. The CEO was in prison, company under investigation in FL and NV, etc. The dealer knew nothing about it. That policy would have cost me around $4500.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCR
I have an extended warranty with CNA that was $2500 for 3/36. This is the third time i have purchased an extended warranty, and have gotten my money's worth each and every time, not to mention the peace of mind it brings when I am driving the crap out of my car.
I'm going to check them out. I hope they are better than the Porsche CPO (<08/08), because before that date Porsche only covers moving parts on a CPO (i.e. my coolant cap wasn't covered).
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Originally Posted by aviatorX
The CEO was in prison

That one made me laugh...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at a shop and aftermarket warranties are a nightmare for most of us. Sometimes the warranty company only wants to pay the shop $45.00 an hour. I had another time when a guy needed a transmission in his Supra and the warranty company told me to buy a used one. They are terrible. My customers know that they are getting new parts from me so the warranty company should not be any different. Do not assume that you have piece of mind with a warranty. All these quotes that I hear you guys talking about will have hidden problems that you may or may not find out about. It will depend on the situation that you find yourself in.

For example, customer comes in with an 05 Mercedes CL500 with an aftermarket warranty. It needs a lot of work to many different parts of the car. Engine, transmission, suspension, electrical. First thing we find out is that there is a $2500.00 limit on any one repair and the policy has a $200.00 deductible. So now we know that we have to do these repairs in stages in order to get it done. We do the first repair which was a bunch of suspension parts and the bill came out to about $2300.00. The company paid us $2100.00 and did not pay the tax. That was pretty damn good. They paid our $126.00 an hour labor rate and they paid us full retail for the parts, I like that. Next repair was for some leaks on the engine and transmission and an electrical repair. Say the bill came out to $2400.00 for arguments sake, the following is what we got paid. We know they are taking out $200 for the deductible, we are prepared for that.....wrong. They took out $200 for the engine oil leaks, $200 for the transmission oil leaks and $200 for the electrical problem and they do not pay the sales tax. That sucked but I learned a lesson. They still did, however, pay us for new parts and our $126.00 an hour labor rate. They also paid for Struts in that car that retail for $1600.00 each later on, etc. This company was halfway good.

I gave the number to a customer with a Porsche Cayenne and he bought a warranty from them that was a Supreme total protection warranty. THIS WARRANTY WAS A DREAM TO WORK WITH. His car came in for a bunch of repairs. His first bill was $7K and covered a lot of different parts. Again, they paid for brand new parts from Porsche, with this warranty there was no limit on the repair, only one $200.00 deductible for the whole repair job, not each individual item, they paid for a rental car and they paid for the tow as well...... oh yeah, they paid the sales tax as well. This is a shops dream and it really is a dream for the customer because your shop is going to look forward to working on your car and will be happy to do a great job. You will never really have to take any money out of your own pocket to repair your car with a warranty like this and you can feel comfortable knowing that anything that happens to your car will be covered and paid in full.

When the warranty cars come in we go through the whole car from front to back and fix everything that we find wrong with the vehicle to bring it back to new condition. We change bushings, control arms, struts, valve cover gaskets, water pumps, oil pans gaskets, transmission gaskets, fix A/C systems, cooling systems, etc. Your car has a warranty, take advantage of it. Let the shop go through your whole car, fix every leak, every rattle, make that car as close to new as possible, that's what it's for.

A good warranty is a lot of money but I can show you legitimate bills of repairs made to warranty cars and you will quickly agree that it's a good thing to have. This company never installs used parts. The only time that we used a remanufactured part is when that is what the dealer sells because it is not available new. If you need an engine or a transmission it comes from the dealer in a crate.

I am sorry for the long post but I am giving you this information from experience from a shops point of view. You really do get what you pay for. You will pay big money for a warranty that works but, if you take advantage of what a warranty company offers, you will get your monies worth from them in a big way.

Last edited by CPais; 07-16-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
yasuro
Pro

who offered the supreme total protection warranty?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

CPais.....Who offered the Supreme Total protection??????
Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

The best company for an extended warranty is the company that whomever is going to do the repairs has had the best luck with. Doesn't mean you have to get the actual contract through the dealer (if that who is going to do the work) but you want to get that opinion, since they are the one's who will looking for that reimbursement check.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 PM
C4SnNJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Say the bill came out to $2400.00 for arguments sake, the following is what we got paid. We know they are taking out $200 for the deductible, we are prepared for that.....wrong. They took out $200 for the engine oil leaks, $200 for the transmission oil leaks and $200 for the electrical problem and they do not pay the sales tax. That sucked but I learned a lesson"

^ Maybe I misread but why would you take the loss on the repair? The customer is responsible for the deductibles. If they consider a transmission repair a different repair than an oil leak there may be multiple deducts. Not too uncommon. As far as tax goes. That is usually dictated by where the customer buys the warranty. If you buy a warranty in NJ and service it in NJ than you would not pay tax on the covered portion of the repair. The warranty co. picks that up. Sometimes they will even pay for the tax on your deductible. But, if you purchased the warranty in say, Pennsy, and serviced in NJ than your are responsible for state taxes where applicable. If the warranty co. doesn't pay for it, unfortunately, the customer should. Uncle Sam certainly wants his cut. The shop should not be out the money. Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

I am considering buying a warranty for my '02 996 with 65K. I looked into it when I first bought it, but I found that I couldn't buy a Porsche extended warranty, because the initial warranty had run out. Is this still correct?

Alternatively, will Porsche dealers sell non-Porsche aftermarket warranties?
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket warranty with a good record on being a "good payer"?

I wasn't interested in a non-Porsche warranty, but I recently had a problem with a failed ORVR tank in the gas tank and the repair came to a pretty hefty bill, so I would like to have that peace of mind.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
nchronis
3rd Gear

I bought my 2004 c4s last year with a couple of months of factory warranty left. Got the car with 16000 miles. My salesman hated to see me walk out with no warranty so I bought an aftermarket warranty covering 48000 miles for $3300. Five months after the factory warranty expired the engine blew at 22000 miles. The aftermarket warranty did kick in although it took them a couple of weeks to fully approve the repairs. The total bill was for almost $15k of which i was responsible for about $1000 (deductible and some items that they wouldn't cover). All in all in my case it was well worth it. Now this engine is covered by Porsche for an additional 2 years unlimited miles.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
dr90254
Instructor

well I bought the extended warranty the Porsche dealer recommended, it was by OneWorld, extended it 5 years and 100,000 miles, whichever was first, and I believe it was $100 deductible. I got it because I didn't want to have to worry about repairs on a 100K$ car, although I realize the 3 or 4,000 that I paid upfront may have been steep, it was worth the peace of mind, for me personally.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SnNJ
"Say the bill came out to $2400.00 for arguments sake, the following is what we got paid. We know they are taking out $200 for the deductible, we are prepared for that.....wrong. They took out $200 for the engine oil leaks, $200 for the transmission oil leaks and $200 for the electrical problem and they do not pay the sales tax. That sucked but I learned a lesson"

^ Maybe I misread but why would you take the loss on the repair? The customer is responsible for the deductibles. If they consider a transmission repair a different repair than an oil leak there may be multiple deducts. Not too uncommon. As far as tax goes. That is usually dictated by where the customer buys the warranty. If you buy a warranty in NJ and service it in NJ than you would not pay tax on the covered portion of the repair. The warranty co. picks that up. Sometimes they will even pay for the tax on your deductible. But, if you purchased the warranty in say, Pennsy, and serviced in NJ than your are responsible for state taxes where applicable. If the warranty co. doesn't pay for it, unfortunately, the customer should. Uncle Sam certainly wants his cut. The shop should not be out the money. Just my .02 cents.
I am just demonstrating that different warranties offer different coverages. You can pay extra and the warranty company will Not charge you different deductibles and they will also pay the sales tax too. As a customer it is better to be prepared and not be worried about having to take extra money out of your pocket unnecessarily. When I sell a warranty I want the customer to understand exactly what he's going to be responsible for and by selling a warranty that covers everything to no limit then you are confident that there will be no surprises.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty