996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacing the speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009 | 12:40 AM
adg44
Instructor

Default Replacing the speakers...

As I understand it, our speakers don't have standard mounting points.

My car has the hi-fi stereo, which from what I can tell has speakers in the dash, woofers in the doors, and then speakers in the rear side panels.

What is the impedence of the factory stereo, and what size are the speakers? I'm mostly looking to replace the dash and rear speakers, as I think that will make the biggest difference.

Also I'd like to add an iPod integration, which I assume can be used in place of my factory 6 disc changer.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Anthony
Old 06-22-2009 | 01:45 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

You need a dremel or something similar, to use the stock mounts.

See Here

And here
Old 06-22-2009 | 10:08 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Yep, I ended up doing the same thing- cannibalizing the stock speakers in order to mount new speakers in the factory locations. I'm not a big DIY'er but I was able to manage this task w/ good guidance and phone support from Rod at CAI. My car also had the Hi-Fi stereo so yours is a great candidate for this mod.
Old 06-22-2009 | 11:08 AM
adg44
Instructor

Which speakers did you go with?
Old 06-22-2009 | 11:27 AM
rudy1024
Pro

For the iPod integration I put in the iPorsche iPod kit. Very easy, once I got over the reluctance to take the center console apart it went pretty fast. The kit came with a cable harness that included splices into power and ground, as well as signal cables with a terminal that plugs right into the back of the stock CDR-220 radio. Works wonderfully. I took our the CD holder and replaced it with the cubby. Cut the hole in the cubby to route the cable to the iPod. There are great instructions here if you do a search on iPorsche.

Such as it is:

Name:  DSC00154a.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  99.1 KB
Name:  DSC00178a.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  80.3 KB

Rudy
Old 06-22-2009 | 01:09 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

I used all Hertz component and coaxial speakers as engineered by CAI. I kept the stock Becker 220 unit as I had already done the $35 Becker iPod adapter mod (routed to the glove box for discrete install).
Old 06-22-2009 | 05:21 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiracer
I used all Hertz component and coaxial speakers as engineered by CAI. I kept the stock Becker 220 unit as I had already done the $35 Becker iPod adapter mod (routed to the glove box for discrete install).
$35 becker ipod mod? Can you elaborate, please?

Thanks...
Old 06-22-2009 | 05:39 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by rudy1024
For the iPod integration I put in the iPorsche iPod kit. Very easy, once I got over the reluctance to take the center console apart it went pretty fast. The kit came with a cable harness that included splices into power and ground, as well as signal cables with a terminal that plugs right into the back of the stock CDR-220 radio. Works wonderfully. I took our the CD holder and replaced it with the cubby. Cut the hole in the cubby to route the cable to the iPod. There are great instructions here if you do a search on iPorsche.

Rudy
...very sanitary...!
Old 06-22-2009 | 07:03 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

I called Becker USA (Boston?) and gave them my CC over the phone, and they shipped a plug & play cable w/ connector that plugs directly into the back of the unit. Instructions and radio removal tool were included. I routed the iPod end into my glovebox to retain the stock look. Works like a charm!
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:38 AM
rudy1024
Pro

I called Becker USA (Boston?) and gave them my CC over the phone, and they shipped a plug & play cable w/ connector that plugs directly into the back of the unit. Instructions and radio removal tool were included. I routed the iPod end into my glovebox to retain the stock look. Works like a charm!
The iPorsche kit was essentially plug and play also - does the Becker unit allow you to control the iPod from the head unit?

As you can see on mine, the iPorsche kit is essentially just a wired interface, but you still need access to the iPod to FF, skip, pause, etc. Also, the iPorsche wasn't completely compatible with the 4th Gen Nano - the 4Gen is a 5 volt unit, I guess the older iPods are 12V, so in order to charge the iPod while you're connected you have to get an adapter to step the voltage down - which I did.

Rudy
Old 06-23-2009 | 11:23 AM
adg44
Instructor

I just called these people: http://www.beckerautosound.com/Ipod%20cable%20list.html

And it won't work with the 03+ head units beacuse of the MOST system. So, it seems like the only option is the iPorsche kit?

- Anthony
Old 06-23-2009 | 12:05 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Mine is an '02 so the Becker unit worked very simply, and no, I cannot control the iPod from the Becker unit. I select a playlist, hit go and bury the unit in the glovebox.
Old 06-23-2009 | 02:09 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Mine is an '02 so the Becker unit worked very simply, and no, I cannot control the iPod from the Becker unit. I select a playlist, hit go and bury the unit in the glovebox.
Darn - I was hoping to hear otherwise... I don't listen to every song in order, so controlling the iPod from the head unit, as if you were controlling the CD changer would have been cool...

Oh well, no silver lining here - the iPorsche was about $70, twice the cost of your Becker kit...

Rudy
Old 06-23-2009 | 04:05 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adg44
I just called these people: http://www.beckerautosound.com/Ipod%20cable%20list.html

And it won't work with the 03+ head units beacuse of the MOST system. So, it seems like the only option is the iPorsche kit?

- Anthony
The iPorsche will not work with the MOST system either. You should look into the Dension system which will work with the MOST.
Old 06-23-2009 | 08:21 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Boston Acoustic 4.5 will substitute in the rear and dash grills. 4" woofer and 1" tweeter. 5.5 will substitute in the door. Near same sizes but youll have to do trick cutting and mounting in all the grills. You need to take it all apart first and see if theres any more exact speakers you can find.

Quick Reply: Replacing the speakers...