Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by p48ker
Ok
20 yr 911 owner , 82,87,90 (c4)81coupe 87 targa
decided on an 02 / 03 I have completely confused myself an cant decide between a c2 or c4 or manual or tiptronic
i would really like to hear owners views on plus / minus I live in detroit and plan using car all year (I think) I have owned targa nd coupe but so far not fixed on coupe targa or convertable
please post your views and preferences
thanks in advance Mike
I'm a sucker for the 4S b/c of the looks and a little extra HP.

Tiptronic is ok. Manual isn't an option for me b/c of the traffic I drive in every day. If I could slap a PDK transmission on her, I'd be in heaven.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
I'm a sucker for the 4S b/c of the looks and a little extra HP.
I thought the 4S still had the standard 320 hp 3.6 engine? Or are you talking about a version with the X51 kit?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I thought the 4S still had the standard 320 hp 3.6 engine? Or are you talking about a version with the X51 kit?
You are correct. The 4S in the 996 had the same hp as the C2.

As the owner of an 03 C4 manual cab., I have to say I have no complaints. I run 18s in the summer and 17s in the winter. The narrower, slightly taller 17" snows give a definite traction advantage. Think about how snowshoes work and you'll see why narrow tires are better in winter. Regarding the 4wd, wwest is talking out his a$$. The viscous coupling begins diverting power to the front almost immediately when the rear wheels begin to spin. I find that I can be as aggressive with the throttle as I like in heavy rain or snow. On numerous occasions I have tried to slide the rear around on deserted snow covered parking lots. You can feel the front pulling the car back into line. Plus, the C4 comes with PSM as standard equipment. Very surefooted in the slop. As others have said though, snow tires are a must. Indeed, you will only have trouble when the snow is more than 6" deep due to low ground clearance.

The cab is great for a number of reasons. With heated seats and a wind deflector I use mine down to 45F or so without any trouble. The cab top is well insulated for all but the worst winter weather. The top is fully automatic, opens or closes at speeds up to 30mph and with the addition of the SmartTop module is a one touch open/close. If you've never owned a convertible it is truly a "Bucketlist" item.

As for the tip vs. 6spd consideration, unless you deal with some real traffic on a daily basis, there's just no substitute for a manual in a 911.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
The cab is great for a number of reasons. With heated seats and a wind deflector I use mine down to 45F or so without any trouble. The cab top is well insulated for all but the worst winter weather. The top is fully automatic, opens or closes at speeds up to 30mph and with the addition of the SmartTop module is a one touch open/close. If you've never owned a convertible it is truly a "Bucketlist" item.
You sir are a very smart man

Now if only there was a C4 cab with heated seats, a wind deflector and SmartTop which has been cared for by an avid Rennlister available for purchase somewhere . . .
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
p48ker
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone who has responded
Today I tested 03 cab C2 maual ..very nice ithink I will be happy with a cab
I drove the C$ cab felt much more solid noticed no difference in performance
Plan to try tip next week
then I will be looking seriously
I want "ithink" seal grey cab short shift if I go manual and aero kit
looking for 02 $30K budget low as poss miles 40-60 so if you know of one drop me a line ..
Thanks everyone I will defiatly be trawling this site for more info

Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Mica
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm partial to the cab with the hardtop option if you can find one. Michigan winters would be pretty tough on the softtop material. Plus with all the construction on I75, 96, the Southfield and 696 and the stop-and-go traffic, the TIP seems a good choice. In Grand Rapids the stop-and-go is not as bad.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone who has responded
Today I tested 03 cab C2 maual ..very nice ithink I will be happy with a cab
I drove the C$ cab felt much more solid noticed no difference in performance
Plan to try tip next week
then I will be looking seriously
I want "ithink" seal grey cab short shift if I go manual and aero kit
looking for 02 $30K budget low as poss miles 40-60 so if you know of one drop me a line ..
Thanks everyone I will defiatly be trawling this site for more info

Mike
Mike, take a look at Smackboy's car. It is exactly what you described.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
p48ker
Intermediate

Default smackboy1

where can i see a photo and price of your car ??
Mike
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM
p48ker
Intermediate

Default found it

found it in classified i should look before typing !!!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 AM
smackboy1
Pro

where can i see a photo and price of your car ??
Mike
You got mail!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
You are correct. The 4S in the 996 had the same hp as the C2.

As the owner of an 03 C4 manual cab., I have to say I have no complaints. I run 18s in the summer and 17s in the winter. The narrower, slightly taller 17" snows give a definite traction advantage. Think about how snowshoes work and you'll see why narrow tires are better in winter. Regarding the 4wd,

wwest is talking out his a$$.

The viscous coupling begins diverting power to the front almost immediately when the rear wheels begin to spin. I find that I can be as aggressive with the throttle as I like in heavy rain or snow. On numerous occasions I have tried to slide the rear around on deserted snow covered parking lots. You can feel the front pulling the car back into line. Plus, the C4 comes with PSM as standard equipment. Very surefooted in the slop. As others have said though, snow tires are a must. Indeed, you will only have trouble when the snow is more than 6" deep due to low ground clearance.

As for the tip vs. 6spd consideration, unless you deal with some real traffic on a daily basis, there's just no substitute for a manual in a 911.
With my '01 C4 turning off PSM does not disable PSM's TC and e/LSD aspects. So if even the slightest level of rear wheelspin is detected the rear brakes are applied and the engine instantly dethrottled. Thus no chance for the VC to come into play.

Later C4, C4S, models, different, .....??

And yes, with PSM active the car cannot be "slung" about in the snow, even intentionally.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I love my '02 C4 cab as a 4 season car in Colorado. Tip makes daily driving in traffic very bearable for me, but that decision was made as my wife won't learn to drive a manual and life is about compromise at times. I run summer rubber on 18's and dedicated snow tires on 17" wheels for the winter - the C4 nannies kick in big time when it gets slippery, making it a very safe and controlled winter vehicle. But if you turn off the PSM it magically transforms into a rear-biased power slide king - I love it.

My car didn't have the aero option but I added the OEM wing and a front splitter. The windscreen extends the top-down opportunities considerably during spring/summer/fall and the SmartTop simplifies use and makes the rear windows operational- just like the factory should have done it.

My only complaint was the floaty front end at speed, so I switched to the ROW M030 (sport) suspension and it solved the problem w/o making the ride too harsh of a ride - it's the perfect setup for my needs and really improved the car's handling beyond expectations.

Good luck shopping - it's a great time to be buying a P-car!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
I love my '02 C4 cab as a 4 season car in Colorado. Tip makes daily driving in traffic very bearable for me, but that decision was made as my wife won't learn to drive a manual and life is about compromise at times. I run summer rubber on 18's and dedicated snow tires on 17" wheels for the winter - the C4 nannies kick in big time when it gets slippery, making it a very safe and controlled winter vehicle. But if you turn off the PSM it magically transforms into a rear-biased power slide king - I love it.

My car didn't have the aero option but I added the OEM wing and a front splitter. The windscreen extends the top-down opportunities considerably during spring/summer/fall and the SmartTop simplifies use and makes the rear windows operational- just like the factory should have done it.

My only complaint was the floaty front end at speed, so I switched to the ROW M030 (sport) suspension and it solved the problem w/o making the ride too harsh of a ride - it's the perfect setup for my needs and really improved the car's handling beyond expectations.

Good luck shopping - it's a great time to be buying a P-car!
+1 I had the same experience w/ the stock suspension. The M030 should be standard on the car.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Originally Posted by medtech
What is the weight difference? 100lbs?
All the Mk II 3.6L engines have the same 320 hp. Curb weights are:

C2 Coupe 2965 lbs
C2 Targa 3119
C2 Cab 3141 lbs
C4S Coupe 3240 lbs
C4 Cab 3273 lbs
C4S Cab 3394 lbs

Tiptronic +121 lbs
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

I went through this decision recently, and ultimately chose a C4 cabriolet with manual transmission and hard top. I have had coupes, cabs and targas over the years, including a 996 C2 coupe and, like you, a 1987 targa, which was a great combination of open air, fun-to-drive, security and looks (very subjective, I know). For me, no 996 has the same road connection and fun factor as the older 911s; however, 996s are great cars in their own respects - faster, more comfortable, with smoother handling (and working a/c!). This is my first C4, and I have been impressed. I was concerned that the extra weight and all wheel drive would result in a more sluggish feel, but that has not been the case. Also, the car also feels a little more solidly planted than my 2000 C2. The hard top doesn't transform it into a coupe, and it is not as easy to handle as the old targa tops; however, it does make me feel safer when parking for a few days at the airport.

I think you are on the right track.

Quick Reply: buying a 02 / 03 confused c2 c4 thoughts welcome