Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New battery and a noted increase in driving performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up New battery and a noted increase in driving performance?

Guys, this could be the craziest observation. I installed a new battery over the weekend (Interstate MTP-H7...and boy, they aren't the lightest or the easiest to swing into battery compartment of the car but it's a PERFECT fit). Anyway, my old battery was getting up there in years and I thought it wise to proactively replace it...you know, instead of getting stranded on the road somewhere without being able to start the car. I took the car for a drive last night after letting it sit on the trickle charger to top it off and I was amazed. The car just 'seemed' to accelerate more crisply. I'm sure it's all in my mind, but does anyone know if putting a fresh battery in the car can have a positive feedback on driveability? I always thought the batteries were predominantly for starting since the alternator kicks in once the engine is running.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I thought I felt the same thing when I put in my Optima Red top, but I just figured it was b/c it cost twice as much.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's taking a load off of the altenator giving you back 10whp.

How old was your previous battery. I'm asking because I "was" thinking of just waiting to be stranded before purchasing a new one.

Originally Posted by nycebo
Guys, this could be the craziest observation. I installed a new battery over the weekend (Interstate MTP-H7...and boy, they aren't the lightest or the easiest to swing into battery compartment of the car but it's a PERFECT fit). Anyway, my old battery was getting up there in years and I thought it wise to proactively replace it...you know, instead of getting stranded on the road somewhere without being able to start the car. I took the car for a drive last night after letting it sit on the trickle charger to top it off and I was amazed. The car just 'seemed' to accelerate more crisply. I'm sure it's all in my mind, but does anyone know if putting a fresh battery in the car can have a positive feedback on driveability? I always thought the batteries were predominantly for starting since the alternator kicks in once the engine is running.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The computer was reset when you changed out the battery. So that could be the change.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes the only possibility is the reset as mentioned above (and possibly codes were cleared)...the battery has nothing to do with running performance...otherwise the battery sales folks would be advertising X hp gains with this battery...LOL
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Less weight, your wallet is lighter by a few $.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Times like this, you really need to be imaginative to get your money's worth out of what you buy. Well Done!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The other day at a PCA tech for a DE event someone said "nice Battery". When I got home I went to see what kind of battery was in the GT3 I purchased. I expected an Optima or the like. It is a battery from Wal-Mart !! Is this of concern or OK ? When changing a battery if you use a 12 volt connection to the lighter will it retain memory in ECU?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, the old 1/4 mile racer trick..

Originally Posted by function12
The computer was reset when you changed out the battery. So that could be the change.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Maybe it's taking a load off of the altenator giving you back 10whp.

+1 on that - I've already noted that the engine runs more smoothly on cold start when the battery is freshly topped up.

So I'd say alternator load will have a definite effect on engine performance and perception.

Ad to that the psychological piece, where you're happy to have a new battery - and BINGO!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Edward,

You have accidentally "let the cat out of the bag." Porsche has attempted to guard this secret for many years, but now I think the word is out. Porsches are really battery powered cars, which is why your car feels quicker with the new battery. Yes, these cars do have an engine, but it is in the car only for the sound effects which gives the car the "sports car" sound.

BWT - as long as we are on the subject of debunking myths, there is not a Santa Clause nor is there an Easter Bunny!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
When changing a battery if you use a 12 volt connection to the lighter will it retain memory in ECU?
Yes, that's exactly what I did and I didn't need to unlock my radio or reprogram the stations. Indeed, to answer a question above, I don't think that the ECU reset because it never really lost power. To answer another question above, the battery has been in the car since I picked it up in Sep/Oct of 2005 so it was at least 4 years old.

I know, the driving feel change sounds crazy but I was just pretty surprised. Maybe it's like the CAI: I just wanted it to feel better.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Edward,

You have accidentally "let the cat out of the bag." Porsche has attempted to guard this secret for many years, but now I think the word is out. Porsches are really battery powered cars, which is why your car feels quicker with the new battery. Yes, these cars do have an engine, but it is in the car only for the sound effects which gives the car the "sports car" sound.

BWT - as long as we are on the subject of debunking myths, there is not a Santa Clause nor is there an Easter Bunny!
LOL. I always knew it. It's a shame that Bob isn't here to lament all the times he had to change his RMS and IMS...and of course, his engine fire...which now I realize may have just been the result of using the same batteries as were supplied to Dell and Sony's laptop operations.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I have to try this battery thing, mine runs better after a vacuum, wash, wax. If I add a new battery to the mix it should FLY!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

as for the alternator.... if its egas, the ecu knows what the load values the alternator creates (or any other load at that). So, it automatically adjust more fuel output for a more consistent peddle position.... (no matter what the ancillary equipment are on/off)...

The extra performance is prob more in your head...

Quick Reply: New battery and a noted increase in driving performance?