Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Scams" on Craigs list and autotrader!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Sorry guys, I am late to this party!

DDay - Welcome to Rennlist. As LJPete stated above, it is customary for new posters to post pics of their car and share some basic info about your car, so consider this next sentence to be your "Newbie Initiation."

Come on Newbie, post the !@#$%* pics! BTW - this is all meant to be in good fun!

Again welcome to the Phunny Pharm!
Geeez, about time!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM
bgluckman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks--

Brian from AutoTrader.com here--saw the thread, and wanted to jump in. Dennis makes a lot of great points. AutoTrader.com and all on-line shopping sites take a variety of steps -– from technology filters to human review of suspicious ads -– to keep fraudulent listings off the web. However, in the case of AutoTrader.com, with millions of cars advertised on our site and fraudsters on-line every day with nothing better to do but post and repost phony ads, some still slip through. Dennis is right on the money in terms of some things people should watch out for when shopping for anything on-line. Our top 5?

- If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Research the prices of cars you want and if you see one at a dramatically lower price than the average, be suspicious. Don’t let your desire to get a good deal cloud your judgment.

- If you can’t contact the seller by phone, that should be a red flag. Most of these fraudulent ads come from overseas. Criminals can hide their location and the fact that they don’t speak English with an email. They can’t do it by phone. If you can’t have at least one phone conversation with this person, be suspicious.

- Don’t let a seller rush you. As Dennis pointed out, there’s usually a story about why this deal must close quickly and you shouldn’t wait (or a sob story pulling on your heart strings). Don’t let a seller with a great deal and a great story push you into doing something you shouldn’t. If you feel rushed or uncomfortable, take a step back and assess the situation.

- If you do engage with a seller via email and they send you a link to what supposedly is a reputable web site that will help facilitate the transaction, don’t follow those link. It’s very easy for criminals to build web sites that look exactly like sites from reputable companies. Rather, go to that company’s home page and try to find that functionality on their site. If you can’t find it, call customer service and ask where it is. More likely than not, that functionality won’t exist and the site – and the ad – are fraudulent.

-- Review major web sites for their fraud tips. At AutoTrader.com, you can find a link to tips, information about common scams and more right on our home page. Most other on-line shopping sites have similar tips and pages. Check these out before you start shopping and arm yourself information that can help you avoid being taken advantage of.

Thanks, Dennis, for pointing out this problem and some of your own thoughts on avoiding scams. We’re right there with you in wanting folks to know this information. We've also been working on improving our own scam detection systems, and also teaming up efforts with competitors such as Cars.com, because in the end, we all want to do everything we can to stop these ads from ever being placed at all.

Brian Gluckman
Manager, Media Relations
AutoTrader.com
Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
bryguy1211
1st Gear

Does your scammer happen to be from Dallas, but living in New York?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Nice story...but I know no one who would buy a Porsche sight unseen.
I purchased an RS unseen; however, I did buy from an out of state P dealer that i have dealt with before.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car sight unseen from someone 400 miles away. My brother lives in the area though so he was my proxy and took car of the PPI for me. It can be done with care.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone I work with had a similar experience last week trying to buy a Jeep on Graigslist. The angle on that scam was similar to the original post but more along the lines of trying to get their personal identification, not money.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait a minute...there are scams on craigslist and autotrader? You mean to tell me that GT I just bought for $100 was a scam? G**dammit, I was plannin on paying off my mortgage w/ the extra cash I saved!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM
DDAY
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bryguy1211
Does your scammer happen to be from Dallas, but living in New York?
Yes; And he has not e-mailed me back. He must of figured out I was on to him!! "Was sending everything over to E-Bays fraud department.

PS; My aviator is the only picture I have figured out how to post. I have many other photos, but seems to be more complicated to upload them!

Side note; I have sold, and purchased several items over the internet, site unseen.
Just recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675, from a Gentleman from South Carolina. Received it as listed!
In 2000, purchased a 1999 Indian Chief, from a man hired by an Arkansas Indian dealer on E-bay. Never seen either bike until it arrived at my home.
You just have to take all the necessary precautions.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 AM
ShaneSaw
Intermediate

Man I think that price is too good to pass up. Can i have the number?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Geeez, about time!
Yeah, I know!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my car on Autotrader, had a PPI done at a reputable shop where the car was located. Ran a carfax and everything turned out ok. Flew down to pick up the car and inspected/drove the car before the deal was done.

No issues, the car was well represented and was exactly as described. It's the second car I've bought out of state. I also bought a Jeep wrangler unlimited (new) so i was less concerned about that purchase.

Quick Reply: "Scams" on Craigs list and autotrader!!!