996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New wrinkle on swapping tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 12:14 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Default New wrinkle on swapping tires

I have a C2 with Toyo Proxes T1R's all around (not my choice, but I bought the car with them on it). The tires have ~7K miles on them and 3 of the 4 tires are in excellent condition with lots of tread left (~7/32" - 8/32" vs 10/32 new, I think).

Unfortunately, I have a problem in the right rear that has caused my right rear tire to go nearly bald on the inside. I am having this looked at on Friday (hoping for an alignment / camber / toe problem only rather than something like a bent arm). Regardless, I will need to fix the problem.

So... once I fix the problem, what do I do for tires?

* Clearly, the right rear has got to go. It's shot.
* Can I replace just the right rear tire with a new Proxes T1-R? The mechanic @ Redmond European doesn't think so. The other 3 tires are in great shape (~75% tread left), but this would be a different tread depth side to side in the rear.
* Alternatively, I could replace all 4 tires with PS2s. That's what I want to do, as I'm a big PS2 fan, but there's a slight price differential in this option! Four (PS2s + mounting) vs 1Toyo Proxes T1R + mounting.

Any thoughts? I searched through a number of previous "mixing tires" threads, but didn't find anyone swapping out a single tire. Bad idea? OK? I am planning to track this in July, BTW, so I don't want any bizarre handling.
Old 05-28-2009 | 09:16 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

I would replace all four if you are going to track it. You don't want to have different tread depth when tracking.
Old 05-28-2009 | 09:29 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Maybe you could have the new tire shaved down to match the other rear tire?
Old 05-28-2009 | 10:46 AM
Jeff996
Instructor

Or maybe replace both rear tires with new Toyo's. Not the cheapest answer, but still much better than the price of PS2's all around.

If you are going to the track though, i would spring for new PS2's.
Old 05-28-2009 | 10:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Good grief. Replace teh right rear tire with an identical one and get on with it...

Originally Posted by BimmFiniti
I have a C2 with Toyo Proxes T1R's all around (not my choice, but I bought the car with them on it). The tires have ~7K miles on them and 3 of the 4 tires are in excellent condition with lots of tread left (~7/32" - 8/32" vs 10/32 new, I think).

Unfortunately, I have a problem in the right rear that has caused my right rear tire to go nearly bald on the inside. I am having this looked at on Friday (hoping for an alignment / camber / toe problem only rather than something like a bent arm). Regardless, I will need to fix the problem.

So... once I fix the problem, what do I do for tires?

* Clearly, the right rear has got to go. It's shot.
* Can I replace just the right rear tire with a new Proxes T1-R? The mechanic @ Redmond European doesn't think so. The other 3 tires are in great shape (~75% tread left), but this would be a different tread depth side to side in the rear.
* Alternatively, I could replace all 4 tires with PS2s. That's what I want to do, as I'm a big PS2 fan, but there's a slight price differential in this option! Four (PS2s + mounting) vs 1Toyo Proxes T1R + mounting.

Any thoughts? I searched through a number of previous "mixing tires" threads, but didn't find anyone swapping out a single tire. Bad idea? OK? I am planning to track this in July, BTW, so I don't want any bizarre handling.
75% tread left on the other 3 is ok.

Had a tire puncture that couldn't be fixed and I replaced the left rear Michelin tire with nearly 8000 miles on the pair from new. I generally get over 15,000 on a set of rear tires.

In your case, since it is right rear tire, you're in even better shape. A right rear tire wears faster than left rear so by the time the tires are worn out they'll be worn out together.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-28-2009 | 12:12 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deckman
I would replace all four if you are going to track it. You don't want to have different tread depth when tracking.
Given the vastly difference wear rates between front and rear tires, you are almost always going to have different treads depths.
Old 05-28-2009 | 02:16 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

With only a few 32nds of wear on the others I wouldn't worry about one new tire. Just replace it.
Old 05-28-2009 | 02:40 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Maybe. I'd ask this question on the racing forum.
Old 05-28-2009 | 04:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
With only a few 32nds of wear on the others I wouldn't worry about one new tire. Just replace it.
+1

I think replacing all 4 tires is ridiculous, even 2 is overkill.
Old 05-28-2009 | 04:40 PM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff996
Or maybe replace both rear tires with new Toyo's. Not the cheapest answer, but still much better than the price of PS2's all around.
This is the approach the guy at Redmond European recommended. If I'm springing for two new Toyos on the rear, tho... I was thinking I should just get what I really want.

If you are going to the track though, i would spring for new PS2's.
Yup, that's what I'm considering. Just not crazy about the $1500+ investment.

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I'm starting to see this as a viable option. With the varying degrees of wear we get back-to-front and L-rear to R-rear, perhaps this isn't such a bad thing. I could look at shaving the new tire, too.

Thanks for all the inputs, everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2009 | 05:12 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

I'd swap both rears and stay with the Toyos - much better tire than PS2 IMHO
Old 05-28-2009 | 08:03 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Just order a replacement from a place that shaves tires...www.treadzone.com sells Toyos and will shave it for you. No affiliation, just the first place I found via Google...

This is the only way I'd go...just my 2¢...
Old 05-29-2009 | 12:38 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Just order a replacement from a place that shaves tires...www.treadzone.com sells Toyos and will shave it for you. No affiliation, just the first place I found via Google...

This is the only way I'd go...just my 2¢...
Sounds like good advice. I looked through treadzone's web site and didn't find anything on shaving, but I agree it seems like I should just get a single rear matched to the other three. I'm sure I can find someone to do it.
Old 06-02-2009 | 12:04 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Well, I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...

Ordered a new set of PS2s today. I really did look into a new set of Toyo Proxes T1Rs for just the rear, but...
* My front T1Rs are siped (silly tire slicing thing that Les Schwab does), so I really needed to get the new rears siped.
* The best online place I could find for the T1Rs (treadzone.com) doesn't do siping.
* Les Schwab was $100 more per tire than treadzone for the T1Rs ($750 including tax for just the rears, siped)

I then almost convinced myself to try the Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new full set, but all those bright green ratings on the tirerack web site for the PS2s were calling me... I've always liked them and just bought a new set for my 330i, too.

So, in the end, I went with my tried and true PS2s. I'm really looking forward to getting them, with my alignment all fixed up (which is way out of whack). I think it's going to be awesome!

Quick Reply: New wrinkle on swapping tires