996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feedback on Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally reaching the end feels different, doesn't it? Congrats.

Regardless of how much money you spent on upgrades, or if you gained or lost any power, as long as you are happy, that's all that's really matters.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Chao,

Great to hear abour your progress on the MK1, it's always sweet to know that the mods you put into the car are actually doing something positive!

And how can you say your finished - you know thats never true
Get some wheels to top it all off!

Mick
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
I was very impressed by the overall performance gains on Chao's car. Definitely more power than I was expecting, yet still very comfortable to drive. Overall I think everything came together great. It made me realize I need to pick up a couple mods .. so much for saving money.
Scott,

Driving your cab last night made me realize that a turbo cab needs to be a car I need to own at somepoint in my life. Sooner rather than later of course.

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Finally reaching the end feels different, doesn't it? Congrats.

Regardless of how much money you spent on upgrades, or if you gained or lost any power, as long as you are happy, that's all that's really matters.
Thanks! Some people mod for pure cosmetic or performance reasons. I chose mods that will improve performance first. If it contributes to asthetic/cosmetic value of the car on top of it, then it is a bonus to me.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the turbo cab, something very special about them (I am not at al a convertible guy, but the turbo cabs have grown on me, they just look so bad *** with the top down , and are an absolute blast inside.)

Sounds like you got the whole thing together without breaking the bank, congrats again Chao. My initial reasoning behind not personally modding was warranty, when that runs out in January, I then have some math to run:

NA mods
SC mods
buy a TT

I'll bother you more when I get to that point, but I am curious to see some real before after dynos for systematic mods to the 3.6, intake, exhaust, headers and chip. It's an old topic, and beaten to death, but we've never gotten anything conclusive really in terms of data.

I'm most surprised that the chip made a difference in sound at all.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by exlondoner
Chao,

Great to hear abour your progress on the MK1, it's always sweet to know that the mods you put into the car are actually doing something positive!

And how can you say your finished - you know thats never true
Get some wheels to top it all off!

Mick
Mick,

The only thing I have left is 200 cell CATs and I don't want drone. After that would be supercharging and would rather replace it with a turbo in that equation.

Originally Posted by htny
+1 on the turbo cab, something very special about them (I am not at al a convertible guy, but the turbo cabs have grown on me, they just look so bad *** with the top down , and are an absolute blast inside.)

Sounds like you got the whole thing together without breaking the bank, congrats again Chao. My initial reasoning behind not personally modding was warranty, when that runs out in January, I then have some math to run:

NA mods
SC mods
buy a TT

I'll bother you more when I get to that point, but I am curious to see some real before after dynos for systematic mods to the 3.6, intake, exhaust, headers and chip. It's an old topic, and beaten to death, but we've never gotten anything conclusive really in terms of data.

I'm most surprised that the chip made a difference in sound at all.
Hans,

The chip was the most surprising part of the equation for me. However, its about the type of ECU flash that is important. Like I said, I had my timing advanced twice where the parameters were changed to accomodate the new mods. It made a huge difference. Getting a generic ECU flash equals leaving extra performance on the table in my book. What a shame..

When you want to upgrade, its important to set a budget and then get the most out of that budget. Otherwise, you will be chasing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow lead by ads you see in forums and magazines.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chsu74
Mick,

The only thing I have left is 200 cell CATs and I don't want drone. After that would be supercharging and would rather replace it with a turbo in that equation.
You shouldn't have drone with 200cell Cats. I now have intake tube (orange tube), intake plenum, EVO headers, cargraphic cats, and PSE-hack. No drone at all.

I just need a good tune, like you say, to optimize the parts. Yours is a custom tune. Not too many big companies around doing that sort of thing for a *reasonable* price.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that Farnbacher and Loles does custom ECU tuning.
They are in Connecticut which is a bit of a drive for me but I heard very good things about them and also about a custom tune based on the actual mods on your car instead of a "generic" tune as Chao puts it.
Pete
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
You shouldn't have drone with 200cell Cats. I now have intake tube (orange tube), intake plenum, EVO headers, cargraphic cats, and PSE-hack. No drone at all.

I just need a good tune, like you say, to optimize the parts. Yours is a custom tune. Not too many big companies around doing that sort of thing for a *reasonable* price.
drone is a function of your exhaust and not your cats... the fabspeed mufflers drone very little with no other mods... not enough to bother you.. but when you add cats to them ... look out... you may not like what you hear...

I know the PSE and 200 cell cats don't drone at all... or cargraphic mufflers for that matter...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by c70Pete
drone is a function of your exhaust and not your cats... the fabspeed mufflers drone very little with no other mods... not enough to bother you.. but when you add cats to them ... look out... you may not like what you hear...

I know the PSE and 200 cell cats don't drone at all... or cargraphic mufflers for that matter...
...drone is a function of the entire exhaust system, not just a part of it....
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArneeA
...drone is a function of the entire exhaust system, not just a part of it....
VOLUME is a function of total exhaust system... drone is caused by a poorly designed muffler... trust me on this one.

many LOUDER exhausts have a tiny bit of drone in them that is not that annoying... but add a hi-flow cat to it and you turn up the volume... and the drone!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
But if if you do all those mods to a 3.6 wont it perform even better? hence the need to upgrade?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Hans,

The chip was the most surprising part of the equation for me. However, its about the type of ECU flash that is important. Like I said, I had my timing advanced twice where the parameters were changed to accomodate the new mods. It made a huge difference. Getting a generic ECU flash equals leaving extra performance on the table in my book. What a shame..

When you want to upgrade, its important to set a budget and then get the most out of that budget. Otherwise, you will be chasing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow lead by ads you see in forums and magazines.
You speak the truth, NA mods need quality chip tuning or your stock ecu will "tune out" the mods, true across the board on modern cars. I'm not surprised about the chip on power since you moved up timing, just didn't think it would sound different!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
But if if you do all those mods to a 3.6 wont it perform even better? hence the need to upgrade?

no it won't actually cause the 02 and beyond cars use motronic 7.x... and the pre-02 cars use motronic 5.x which leaves WAY more variables on the table when tuning the ECU... a GIAC flash will get you 15-20 Wheel horsepower on a 3.4 engine... and even more on a 3.4 (99) NON-egas - maybe 25 on that one... a 3.6 uses 7.x and probably won't even get you 10 (7 whp) more horsepower and this is because of the variocam + feature that limits the timing advance and ability to tune on the top end... and also the 7.x system has less variables left for adjustment.... so the difference really ain't that big when you consider this... not worth upgrading...

if you wanna upgrade go get a 2006 and beyond car - lots of updates to that motor or better yet get a 2006 "S"

the 3.4 and 3.6 engines up to 2005 were all riddled with problems... anybody who thinks the 3.6 engine is more reliable than the 3.4 is dreaming... its newer... not as many have blown up ... yet... cause they came on the market later... give it a few years and then compare stats...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Hi Chao,

Sounds like the car is running great. Did you notice the power band move up the RPM range? After my mod's it really takes off after ~5k. Here's my after dyno with the following mods to my 2003 3.6 (sorry no before #'s)

Revo Stage 2 chip
EVOMS Intake
RSS Plenum
Maxspeed headers and 200 cell cat's
Cargraphic exhaust

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Rich,

To be honest, my power is felt through out the RPM range. It is noticeable in the lower band range because I have been driving on the street. My first, second and third pulls are much harder compared to stock.

All of my claims are butt dyno confirmed by another 02 cab owner. I do not have dyno runs to back up my claims. It was felt between the two cars and two people that my mods are a noticeable improvement. 15 hp is not noticeable by butt dyno, thus my reason for sharing....

Quick Reply: Feedback on Upgrades