Sponsored by:

Engine/transmission problem/tick tick, help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Ken7258
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/transmission problem/tick tick, help

I have a 01 c2. I have been tracking my car 3-4 times/year for 4 years. Today was a great day until all the sudden my car was like running on 3 cylinders. I pulled off and limped back to my parking spot. Check engine light came on and the oil light flashed a couple of time. I shut the car off and watched my son drive in the next session. I checked all fluids, everything was fine. After 30 minutes, the car started right up like nothing was wrong. I drove about 3 miles and the transmission (I have a tip) sounded a funny rattling sound by the shifter between the seats. This happened when the rpm's went up. A mile later the car stalled and wouldn't re-start. I got it off the road and tried to re-start and it would barely turn over for .5 seconds. One time I heard a little ping from the engine bay. No fluids leaking, no smoke at all. Luckily a friend of mine that races his 993 is bring his trailer down to bring me to his mechanic up in Denver.

Any idea at what possibly could be wrong. This sounds bad. If it's the transmission, I guess the company that re-builds 996 transmissions is in Denver. If it's the engine, I guess I'm screwed. I've been reading about some people re-building them, but I wonder if that's an real option. This really sucks.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Ken7258
Instructor

I was reading another thread and he had a tip and his 4th gear and transmission position indicator lights were flashing back and forth. I guess that's some type of transmission fault indicator light. I'll be bringing the car to my indy. mechanic on Monday. Who knows what the problem is. I hope it's not the engine.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Could be anything. Would be nice to know error code(s) associated with....

Originally Posted by Ken7258
I have a 01 c2. I have been tracking my car 3-4 times/year for 4 years. Today was a great day until all the sudden my car was like running on 3 cylinders. I pulled off and limped back to my parking spot. Check engine light came on and the oil light flashed a couple of time. I shut the car off and watched my son drive in the next session. I checked all fluids, everything was fine. After 30 minutes, the car started right up like nothing was wrong. I drove about 3 miles and the transmission (I have a tip) sounded a funny rattling sound by the shifter between the seats. This happened when the rpm's went up. A mile later the car stalled and wouldn't re-start. I got it off the road and tried to re-start and it would barely turn over for .5 seconds. One time I heard a little ping from the engine bay. No fluids leaking, no smoke at all. Luckily a friend of mine that races his 993 is bring his trailer down to bring me to his mechanic up in Denver.

Any idea at what possibly could be wrong. This sounds bad. If it's the transmission, I guess the company that re-builds 996 transmissions is in Denver. If it's the engine, I guess I'm screwed. I've been reading about some people re-building them, but I wonder if that's an real option. This really sucks.

check engine light.

Almost sounds like 2 different problems. Engine acting up on track could be oil temp too high, or oil level too low or just engine overall too hot.

The running on 3 cylinders can be Ecu controller switching to limp mode to avoid further harm to engine.

Tip problem sounds more serious. It may have started out as a low fluid, old fluid, too hot a fluid problem but has escalated into something more serious.

If transmission now bad engine may not start properly cause tranmission may have failed in such a way that engine and transmission are no longer decoupled upon startup even if engine in park/neutral.

You'll just have to get car to a qualified shop and have an expert diagnose problem.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
2fas4u
Instructor

Exclamation ouch!

Originally Posted by Ken7258

Get the codes read asap! speculation can only be bad to worse case.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From your description, that rattle might not be a very good sound. Hopefully it's something simple, but my advice is don't run the car at all until you've got a PST hooked up and read all the trans codes.

It could potentially be the nut from the M8 stud that holds the IMS in place rattling around in your bell housing. Don't drive it until you know what's going on. I don't mean to scare you, just be careful.

Quick Reply: Engine/transmission problem/tick tick, help