Sponsored by:

Roof Flap hinge

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Paul Ponkow
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Flap hinge

how hard/ easy is to replace and install the plastic hinge that holds the roof door flap covering the roof rack mounts?
Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have not taken one apart but I wouldn't think that it would be that difficult. However, the roof flaps come prime coated and would need to be painted. There is also a bracket for the roof flaps.

Here is a couple of PET diagrams that may help. The second diagram is a close up view of the parts. The roof flaps for the front and rear are different part numbers.

In the Remarks column
/V = Front
/H = Rear
Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Ponkow
how hard/ easy is to replace and install the plastic hinge that holds the roof door flap covering the roof rack mounts?
Thanks
I did it myself - hinge part plastic was broken - so I ordered the spare parts and scoured the internet for some 996 mechanics guide that had some instructions for take apart of this area.

Now that I have done it once, it would be easier and faster the second time. Not like you'll have to though, this is probably a fairly rare repair.

I was quite paranoid about ruining something along the way, so I went very slowly and thought it through. The long strip pops out, but I was concerned about flexing it too much and ruining the patina - but it went well.

I tried to examine some of the parts under the long strip, and examined the hinge of the non broken one, and figure out the square things, and how they fit to the strip and how to get the hinge right. There are a few moments with scary loud pop sounds when you mate the plastic parts together - loud scary clicks.

I can't remember the details any more than this unfortunately - I did this repair myself a few years ago. I don't have a dealer nearby, it's 500Km away, so if I were you, and you had a dealer near to you, I would just let them do it for you.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Anyone else completed this repair? The flap is fine but I have to change one of the brackets (#11) same as BuddyK I presume. Is it just the long strip that has to removed? How exactly does one do that? I am not particularly close to a dealer.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 AM
everybodywildou
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumping this. Is the part number different for the 997?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:39 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I need to fix a flap as well. Any more tips out there?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:05 AM
everybodywildou
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bueller? Anyone have the part breakdown diagram for the 997 roof flaps?

Quick Reply: Roof Flap hinge