996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The 996 - Backseat Family Friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
johnnyd1979
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who responded!!! I laughed hysterically reading all these replies. But seriously, Is there a stroller out there that fits in the trunk? For arguments sake, say the C2 instead of the C4 (although a C4 would be a more practical year-round second car). By the way, our primary family car would be a Toyota Prius that I inherited.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I can just barely fit an umbrella into the trunk of my C4...

But at age 3 I started letting my son it on a booster seat in the back.

I think someone already mentioned, but a rear facing seat won't work in the back... In the front you need the airbag deactivation bar. I remember someone who did this and had his wife sit in the back.

Edit: that's an umbrella for rain... not an umbrella stroller.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Your only hope stroller-wise is going to be what is generally referred to as an "umbrella stroller". Ask your wife, she will know. These are generally small, lightweight collapsing strollers that are generally used for travelling with toddlers. In fact, you often see toddlers pushing them. I have no idea if they will work for a baby <1yr. And the easiest place to put one in a 996 would be across the back (behind the rear seats) or standing up (folded of course) in the footwell behind the driver's seat. I don't know of any stroller that will fit inside the front trunk.

None of that should dissuade your 996 purchase. Whatever it may lack in family convenience, it more than makes up for in family memories.

BTW: You have now exceeded your allowance for questions about strollers. Your next question must involve one of the following: 1) R-compound tires 2) GT3 control arms, or 3) exhaust modifications.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
BTW: You have now exceeded your allowance for questions about strollers. Your next question must involve one of the following: 1) R-compound tires 2) GT3 control arms, or 3) exhaust modifications.
Or 4) Beating speeding tickets...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, here's the most recent thread discussing child seats.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...names-etc.html

The 996 is a great family car up until they reach around 10 years old, then I'm told it gets a little cramped.

Also, the thread posted above details rear facing seats in the back - post # 24 shows my son in his Britax Parkway and my daughter in her rear facing Graco Snugride.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Don't know about stroller in the trunk, not likely.

You could get a roof rack, ha.

But remember a 996 is not a Jetta.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Craig B
Intermediate

I have my 5 and 7 year old girls in the back of my 964 (coupe). I don't even use booster seats for them, as they are much more snugly fitted in the back seats than they would be in a booster. They have pretty visibility from back there - although they sometimes get sunburnt because the roof glass extends that far back. If you are looking at a cab, need to check if there are safety restraint points.

In terms of strollers, we have a completely collapsible one that would fit in there (folds up and you can carry it on your back). Unfortunately, it's not usually just the stroller you have to haul around when they are so young, so probably best to keep quiet about load carrying capacity.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
leia7987
Intermediate

I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'4". My daughter fits behind her seat in out generic Wal-mart special car seat pretty well. Behind me there isn't a chance in hell though.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyd1979
Thanks to everyone who responded!!! I laughed hysterically reading all these replies. But seriously, Is there a stroller out there that fits in the trunk? For arguments sake, say the C2 instead of the C4 (although a C4 would be a more practical year-round second car). By the way, our primary family car would be a Toyota Prius that I inherited.
I haul my wife and 7 month old daughter around in my 996 C2 all the time. I have a rear facing Graco car seat and for a stroller we use a Quinny Zap.

http://quinnybaby.com/

Quick Reply: The 996 - Backseat Family Friendly?