996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbox Holes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Chart505
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car runs great, and come to think of it the intake sound is a little loud but I also have the sport exhaust, so it's loud anyways. Guess I will just leave it as is, box seals up fine with the filter, etc.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

And, just for the record, the pictured modified intake box is NOT the factory MotorSound Package filter box. The MS box has a series of about 40 1/4" (sorry for using a non-metric number), nicely molded, nicely patterned holes on the bottom of the box, and on the lower side.
And I agree that as long as the holes in your box come BEFORE the filtered air enters the intake, then they are of absolutely no consequence (as to harming the engine).

The factory MotorSound Package intake box was harmonically tuned by the placement of the extra holes to give a very pleasant tonal quality when the engine is full throttle winding out. Since MAF-type fuel injection intakes do not play the song of 6 finely-tuned Webers, the MS package was designed to return some of that string-backed leather gloves driving experience. The holes work in exactly the same way a glass Coke bottle (remember those?) does when you blow over it. The squares cut in your box would not have that same effect but would allow more intake noise and more airflow (although, if one only needed to cut some bigger holes in the airbox to create more horsepower, don't you really think Porsche would have done that already and long ago? And do you SEE the size of that airfilter? There is obviously plenty of air flow already in the stock configuration, or the filter would be smaller).
The MS Package was available on 993's and the first year of 996's. It was dropped as an option in the engine change-over when throttles went from cable action to the throttle-by-wire computer stuff.

The MotorSound Package also included the factory Sport Exhaust. There are no switches or computer-augmented flappers in that exhaust system. However, the PSE could be ordered by itself.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
The difference in dirt let through is academic at best. I have never read about a motor that failed prematurely due to the extra dirt that a K&N type filter lets through.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I work w/some of the best Porsche technicians in the country and they laugh when they see K&N filters.

Don't you think the engineers at Porsche would use a different type filter if it increased performance and didn't cause more wear and tear on the motor?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thread revival

Looking at my airbox and where the filter gets dirtiest, I have a theory that I'd like to verify with you guys.

The air entering the airbox through the holes at the bottom (see picture) is significantly dirtier than the air entering through the snorkel. The fact that it is sucked in from within the engine compartent makes me think the air is also warmer (= not good).

I assume that the snorkel is more than capable of supplying all the air that the engine needs, even at very high loads.

I have seen a number of people drill more holes in the bottom of the airbox or even cut out entire pieces.

This seems counter intuitive. I would rather close up all the holes at the bottom and just suck in clean cold air.

Your thoughts?

JP
Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
This seems counter intuitive. I would rather close up all the holes at the bottom and just suck in clean cold air.

Your thoughts?
That works great in a hot climate. Once the air being pulled in gets too cold, it drops efficiency off substantially.

Also, without anything in the bottom it would be easy to get moisture/water trapped inside.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Originally Posted by kunkstyle
That works great in a hot climate. Once the air being pulled in gets too cold, it drops efficiency off substantially.

Also, without anything in the bottom it would be easy to get moisture/water trapped inside.
What about the "dirty side" of my theory?

JP
Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
What about the "dirty side" of my theory?
It's a good thing there's a filter for that sort of thing
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Originally Posted by kunkstyle

I closed up the holes on the right hand side bottom of the box and I filled it with water. There is one drain hole at the very bottom in the middle and it emptied very quickly.

Ran it with a newly cleaned / oiled filter and there is no noticable drop in power across the rev-range.

I think I'll stick with just clean air through the snorkel.

JP
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tupperware might have a better option if you want to go the cold air intake route and out do the creativity of the last owner. It is amazing what a rivot gun can give for options. Yah hot air is going to be preceived as less oxygen by the O2 sensor and run things leaner than cold air. Cold air means more fuel and air so more power.

Quick Reply: Airbox Holes