996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CEL Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was still at home, Ive set timing on two 3.6 996s one 3.4 996 a cayman and two turbos in the last 3 weeks, ill retain the procedure for a few more weeks.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, what is going on in Miami? Performance mods, or just repairs, (headgaskets, oil leaks, lifters etc) I probably do 1 turbo or GT3, 1 996/986/cayman, maybe a 964 or 993 a year. So yeah, cam timing is burned into your memory bank for a while. Thats good to hear that you are busy and not sitting on your thumb trying to find the end of the internet. Here in the Denver area, 09 so far has been pretty good I guess, a little slow but not bad. I hear ya on the Ron Paul shout out.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:07 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are really, really slow............... But we still have some volume, just have 12 guys to split it up. We have had 2 996 rebuilds, two (did one yesterday) 996 lifters, a cayman with cam timing jumped a turbo rebuild and a turbo with a bad camshaft (dont ask) I dont even have the internet to play with at work.
Much slower and Im going to start charging a dollar a pm
Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the redeye home and picked up the 996 today. So far, so very very good. They replaced all intake lifters on bank 2. They replaced all 6 coil packs as 3 of them were cracked across bank 1 and 2. At my request they replaced the spark plugs and the serpentine belt. I only drove her about 15 miles home and kept it under 4,000 rpm - I am a little too exhausted to be out tooling around at the moment. The car seems to run very well - smoother at cruising speed than I ever remember it being. And when the vario timing kicks in it is much more pronounced.

The good news - and the weird news. They did all of this under warranty, including the belt and spark plugs - even fixed a rattle at the A-Pillar with out me asking.

The weird news - I had them install new front rotors and pads when the car was in for the transmission. I specifically asked them if I should have them install the dampers as Sunset recommended to me. They said "NO" - only if the car has them already would they ever use them and in that case they would re-use the existing ones - no need for them according to the service manager.

So - when I stopped in on Monday I mentioned to the mechanic who did the brakes that there was a consistent and noticable click from the left front just before hitting full stop.

And today - I get a bill for $247.00 to remove the brake pads and install the dampers. I mentioned to the service manager that it was odd to be charged for this BUT that I would be okay with it because he did run everything else under warranty - (I expected to pay parts for the belt and plugs and maybe even some labor for installing the plugs on bank 1. And in truth I am really happy about six new coil packs.)

Any ball park on what this work would have cost me outside of warranty? That answer might make me feel even better.

AND NOW THE BEST FOR LAST - According to the Service Manager and the mechanic - they did not remove the engine, they claim that it is only necessary for this repair on bank 1. The mechanic did admit that he " dropped the engine a bit to gain clearance"

Fingers crossed that I can simply enjoy driving her for a good while now - but time will tell.

Thanks again for taking so much time to share the great information with me, you really helped calm me down.

Quick Reply: CEL Misfire