996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine temperature and sticky brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM
wxseed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the rear fan comes on unless it gets way too hot, the front fans come on anytime the A/C is on so that is easy to check if the L & R front fans are working To me it sounds like the coolant sensor is failing or your coolant level is low. you may want to look at the attached link. .... It will help you determine the temp the car is running at.

https://rennlist.com/forums/4934462-post2.html
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
thorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - So i took it in - told them about the coolant light coming on and white smoke from the exhaust last year after a track day. And you know what - nothing.... absolutely nothing - said they ran a compression test and there are no leaks in the coolant system. They said that they topped up the coolant by about half a litre and that the white smoke was normal - "sometimes that happens with these cars especially after hard use"

then my service consultant says.... don't want to freak you out or anything, and this is most likely a non issue - it was probably just running low on coolant after 6 years of use... but there is a "small chance" that coolant is leaking into the engine ("we looked at the spark plugs and looked at the oil so we don't think that's happening now").... but if that is the case, you may need an engine replacement one day for $16,000.... then i say... well what does that mean.... he says, you have nothing to worry about, we don't think that's what's happening at all because of the tests we ran.... but if it keeps burning off coolant, then that's what it means.... ha.... so no problems or total catastrophe! thanks porsche!

Quick Reply: Engine temperature and sticky brakes...