Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally! Painted center console to match exterior. (Great DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Looks great, good job, looks like you did some good prep work.

This piece looks great, but wouldn't it be a little odd to have a "40 Jahre" badge though if it's not a 40 year edition?

100 bucks is not bad.. as long as the 4o Jahre bar comes off
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, really nice job! Looks great.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malakas
it looks great! You made the right call going with exterior color for the console - that one stretch of color really changes a gray interior. When people get in my car for the first time - I always notice that they look right at the center console... It makes the car seem more exclusive IMO.

For me I'd do the "911" logo, prob in black to be more subtle. Be careful how much color you add to the interior though - it can start to have the opposite effect and look more like the Fast&Furious

Well done though - lookin great so far!!!
Ya, it really just POPS out at you, especially in person. I haven't gotten a chance to see friends' reactions yet, as I barely installed it last night...

How'd you know I was going for the Fast & Furious look? I'm actually doing everything, even the seats Cobalt Blue, adding strobe lights, 3 wings, & some sick Animae graphics on the side, haha... No, but in all seriousness, don't worry, I wouldn't ruin a P-car by going overboard. I think the center console, key surround, & batwing is a good, simple combo.

Originally Posted by redridge
looks great! I would put a small 911 but in silver, it will look great against the blue. Dont do a decal, go with a small badge like stick on... like in the spec ed cars.
Wow, I haden't even thought of doing it with a badge instead. It looks great. If I find a badge in the right size & everything, I'm definetely doing it. Good idea.

Originally Posted by debo2k3
looks great, need more close up pics lol.
I'll take better pics when I get a chance, hopefully today.

Originally Posted by ivangene
boy, that added a lot !!
whats next?
Other than painting the batwing & lowering the car, I think I'm pretty much set. I mean when I bought the car it came with most of the main goodies I wanted anyway, such as Fabspeed exhaust, Evo intake, factory sideskirts, clear sidemarkers, 19" 2-piece wheels (they're cheap, but look pretty good). Since then I did the obligatory red caliper DIY, replaced the ugly center caps it had with 997 colored crest ones, got a new clutch & RMS, & now this paint job. I also had the car fully detailed last week & I'm getting my tips polished as we speak. So my car is pretty much the way I want it, unless you have any mod suggestions? Which I'm sure you do, lol.

Originally Posted by gota911
That looks great!

The bat wing.... I would paint it and then fit it to see if it even needs a logo. If you decide yo want one, I agree with Redridge, go with the silver badge like in the pic he posted. That would be much nicer than a decal.
Thanks, the only reason I haven't painted it yet is because I ran out of paint, lol. But yes, I'm going to do the badge as suggested by RR.

Originally Posted by salayc
Looks nice. What did you use?
Basically, I got the wet sandpaper, custom spray paint, primer, clearcoat, all from http://automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp
I would definetely recommend them. They did an amazing job matching the color. Plus their 'plastic adhesion promoter' really does the job. Before even touching the center console, I tested the product & paint on a smaller piece of plastic first, & after a couple days, I bent it, tried peeling it, scratching it, etc. to see if it would crack, peel, lift, etc. & it held up amazingly well.

Originally Posted by Overlake
it's quite amazing how big of a difference the matched console makes wow esp in that vibrant color. well done.
Thanks, I love it too. Pretty amazing what very little money combined with a lot of DIY work can do, huh?

Originally Posted by imdrew12
What was your process of painting?
Well, the hardest & most important part is the prep. Salayc recommended a stripper called 3M Safest Stripper, but I wasn't able to find it ANYWHERE. I asked the guy at Home Depot if they had a stripper for plastic, & he gave me some orange one (can't remember the name). I tested it on the ashtray first & it completely melted the plastic & ruined it (This is why my ashtray is missing, lol). This meant I had to wetsand the original paint off (complete pain in the ****). I used 180 wet sandpaper. Once I got everything off, I was going to sand with a finer grit, but decided to leave it that way because I felt the paint would adhere better to the textured surface. Next I washed the entire center console as best I could with Palmolive dishwashing soap (dishwashing soap does a best job degreasing), & made sure to scrub hard with a brush & sponge to get all the sanding residue off. Once it was dry, I set up a painting area with 2 small boxes to place the center console on (I didn't want the bottom of the sides touching the floor, so the paint wouldn't lift when I picked it up). I then wet a towel with alcohol & cleaned the console again (just to make it was completely free of any oils). I then sprayed 3 coats of the plastic primer (very light coats, you don't want it smudging or looking clumpy), then about 5 light coats of paint, & 4 light coats of clearcoat. I then waited a couple of days to make sure the paint was cured, & then wet sanded it with a 1500 grit, then used rubbing compound to get the sandpaper scratches out. Finally after a month of letting the paint cure, yesterday I put about 5 coats of Rejex sealant on it to make it really smooth, shiney, & protect it.

Originally Posted by rudy1024
Wow... talk about punching up the interior... that looks awesome. I've been looking into this myself - at first I wanted all carbon fiber, but now I'm thinking painted pieces with a few CF pieces to accent, maybe the console lid and the two door lids in CF, the the center console and hard parts of the door handle in Arctic Silver...

Do you have your DIY notes stashed somewhere? That is really a fantastic look!

Rudy
Thanks for the compliments... Personally I love CF, but for some reason I think it looks better on cars that are set up with aerokits, lowered, etc. (the race look). For your cab, I recommend doing the Arctic Silver accents. That'd look hot.

For the DIY, look at my response to 'imdrew,' although I might do a pic by pic DIY on this when I paint the batwing & handbrake cover.

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Looks great, good job, looks like you did some good prep work.

This piece looks great, but wouldn't it be a little odd to have a "40 Jahre" badge though if it's not a 40 year edition?
Ya, I spent the most time on the prep work. As for the "40 Jahre" I was thinking the same thing, not to mention I don't like the holes for the switches since I have nothing to put there, some of my switches in the upper console aren't even in use. Hopefully I can find just a plain 911 badge to add to my own batwing.

Originally Posted by uberskier
Wow, really nice job! Looks great.
Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
I asked the guy at Home Depot if they had a stripper for plastic...
Always pay cash for a stripper. Learned that one the hard way. Looks fantastic, btw!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Does anyone know where I can find soft-touch paint like the one on the factory console? My paint on the handbrake is peeling & I want to touch it up.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathemagician
Always pay cash for a stripper. Learned that one the hard way. Looks fantastic, btw!
Words to live by!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a thread about half a year ago asking what color I should paint my center console. Mostly everyone said to do it the same as exterior color, & I'm glad I listened. Let me know what you guys think! The pictures suck as I always take them with my phone & at night which is when I have a chance, lol. I'll try taking some better ones in the sun tomorrow though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I know the handbrake cover is missing, I accidentally sanded too much when I finished, so I have to redo it. Oh, & I also painted the key surround but it isn't on yet in the picture.

... I NEED EVERYONE'S OPINION ON SOMETHING ELSE! I'm going to be painting the batwing (small little piece of plastic under the cubby on the upper console) soon as well, but I want to add a decal before I put the clear coat. I'm having trouble deciding between 'PORSCHE,' 'Carrera,' & '911.' Also, I'm having trouble deciding between ordering the decal in white or black.

If you scroll down to exactly the middle of the page, you'll see what I'm talking about: http://xenonmods.com/xenonmods_porsche_items.htm

All you need now is some nice Silver Carbon Fiber interior trim to complete the look.
Check our my FS link
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...brand-new.html
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find soft-touch paint like the one on the factory console? My paint on the handbrake is peeling & I want to touch it up.
You could try: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sof.../softtouch.htm
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Should I paint the ashtray as well? I left it grey just because I place my cell there & then I have a feeling it'll end up all scratched up anyway.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think the ashtray looks too bad in gray, but if it was my car, I would paint it to match the console. You could give the ashtray a couple of additional coats of clear coat to help protect it.

I got a second shelf to replace the CD holder and that is where I used to keep my cell phone. The shelf is available at the dealer for about $30 +/- and takes 8.42 seconds to swap out the CD holder.
  • Open all of the CD drawers,
  • Grab all of them like a sandwich and give them a sharp pull
  • Insert new shelf.
BTW - that will be $25 for the "technical" advice.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^... agreed, paint it all the same color. As is, it just looks broken up. The full painted will make that column complete and less cluttered IMHO.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - that will be $25 for the "technical" advice.
Wow, economy is showing everywhere, I think that's a discount to your usual going rate...

Rudy
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rudy1024
Wow, economy is showing everywhere, I think that's a discount to your usual going rate...

Rudy
Well, since the time it took to give the advice was under 7.5 minutes, he got the 5 minute rate. If it is greater than 7.5 minutes but less than 20 minutes I charge $75.

Plus, unlike Porsche, I feel guilty about charging more labor than the part costs. I do have scruples!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Originally Posted by redridge
^^^... agreed, paint it all the same color. As is, it just looks broken up. The full painted will make that column complete and less cluttered IMHO.
You guys are right, it will look cleaner & flow better if I paint it. I'm going to do it, but does anyone know how to remove the black switches? I can't figure out how to take those out. Thanks

Plus, unlike Porsche, I feel guilty about charging more labor than the part costs. I do have scruples!
Tell me about it! I've been wanting to lower my car, but it seems kind of unfair to pay about $200 for H&R springs off eBay, & then over $800 for installation & alignment.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys are right, it will look cleaner & flow better if I paint it. I'm going to do it, but does anyone know how to remove the black switches? I can't figure out how to take those out. Thanks

Tell me about it! I've been wanting to lower my car, but it seems kind of unfair to pay about $200 for H&R springs off eBay, & then over $800 for installation & alignment.
The switches should just pop out if you squeeze the small tabs of either side or the switch. You can also very carefully try pushing a small flat screwdriver against the tab on one side. Once you figure out how to get the first out, the others will be easy.

Quick Reply: Finally! Painted center console to match exterior. (Great DIY)