Door hard to close

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 PM
caveman75
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hard to close

Hi all!,
Been lurking for awhile now and love the forum, very informative and amazing cars! but this is my first post...and now need some help.

Its actually for my dads car (2000 996), and the driver side door has become a little difficult to close.

Im not the best at explaining things but here goes...
As everyone knows, whenever you open the door the window should "crack" open and upon closing the door the same should happen. Well the window does not do that whenver we want to close the door. Also when you open the door we are able to push the window itself down by applying a little pressure by hand as well.

Although if you we put the window down (either by hand or switch) and then bring it back up by switch, everything works the right way. Window cannot be pushed down and door closes correctly.
Now pops got an answer that the culprit could be the window regulator, which he ordered and recieved.
But we still need some help...1)Do you guys really think this could be the problem. 2)Could there be just an off adjustment for this regulator 3)Where can I find how to take off the interior panel

I have tried searching around (using keywords window, window regulator, interior panel) and could not find what Im looking for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! We will begin to try and tackle this tomorrow morning...
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It could be the regulator, but it sounds more like the micro switch in the door handle. I believe that this triggers the window drop.

Have you tried to "retrain" the window? No, I am not kidding. Lower the window all the way and keep your finger on the button for about 5 seconds after the window is completely lowered. Then raise the window and hold the button down for 5 seconds after the window is up. Do the same thing a second time. See it that fixes the problem.

There is a link to the DIY for installing the window regulator. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

We'll talk about posting pics later!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, here are a coouple of links which will help you with replacing the window regulator. The both links are for a Boxster, but it is basically the same as a 996 door.

Door Panel Removal

Replacing Window Regulator
Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 AM
caveman75
AutoX

Originally Posted by gota911
It could be the regulator, but it sounds more like the micro switch in the door handle. I believe that this triggers the window drop.

Have you tried to "retrain" the window? No, I am not kidding. Lower the window all the way and keep your finger on the button for about 5 seconds after the window is completely lowered. Then raise the window and hold the button down for 5 seconds after the window is up. Do the same thing a second time. See it that fixes the problem.

There is a link to the DIY for installing the window regulator. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

We'll talk about posting pics later!

Micro switch huh? Ill try to do some research on it...

Yea I know exactly what you mean about "retraining," it always needs to be down on my tC whenever the battery is disconnected so I already know how that is, I actually just tried that on the car and it worked the first time because I lowered and then raised the window, but doesnt work after that..

Thanks for the links!!

About the pics, if you're talking about posting some of the car I have a few I took recently I can post, but def have to take it out to take more
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a link to a PET diagram showing the microswitch in the exterior handle of the door.

Door Handle Microswitch
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Tim has your problem covered so.. Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
caveman75
AutoX

Thanks for the welcome Marc...
Success!!, it was the regulator after all and the door works perfect again!...Thanks for your help Tim!..

Now about those pics, I have some, and also took a couple today but not happy with them, wondering if i should post here or just make a new thread lol
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Glad it's solved, and welcome!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by caveman75
Thanks for the welcome Marc...
Success!!, it was the regulator after all and the door works perfect again!...Thanks for your help Tim!..

Now about those pics, I have some, and also took a couple today but not happy with them, wondering if i should post here or just make a new thread lol
You are welcome.

Start a new thread and give us some specs about the car and some pics. Make the thread title something that indicates you are new and posting some pics. You'll get a lot of hits, because we love pics.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
caveman75
AutoX

Sounds like a plan....new thread coming soon

Thanks DFC!!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
gsly997
3rd Gear

Default Window Problem

Hi, I have been reading this thread to try and slove a problem. My 996 had a flat battery (absolutely dead), and i tried verious things to get power to the battery, in the end i found a thread and opened the front boot to get the charger in. Whilst the car was dead i opened the passenger door from the inside. the window did not drop as there was no power. Once i got power back, the window is stuck and will not move up or down. I can hear a click when i use the switch and when i open the inside door handle, but no movement. Is this because i have confused it and if so should i take the battery off and leave it a while then that will reset it??

I dont think merely running ourt of power would blow the regulator but i may be wrong..

any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tim is the only guy on the board who doesn't own a Porsche, but who knows more about these damn cars than most who do. He's incredible. Just don't ask him how to adjust the seat in his Honda - he has no clue.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
gsly997
3rd Gear

thanks, how do i contact Tim??
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Tim is the only guy on the board who doesn't own a Porsche, but who knows more about these damn cars than most who do. He's incredible. Just don't ask him how to adjust the seat in his Honda - he has no clue.
Phil,

Thanks for the kind words! However, but I think you are overstating my knowledge of these cars, but I do appreciate your comments.

Honda's have adjustable seats??? Damn! I've been driving that damn car for almost 10 months with the steering wheel against my chest and my knees against the lower part of the dashboard. DOH!!!
Originally Posted by gsly997
thanks, how do i contact Tim??
Here I am. Now that Phil has set me up to fail miserably (Phil, it's that jinx thing ) let's see if we can figure out what is wrong with your passenger side window.

This also sounds like a window regulator problem. If you can hear it click but it is not moving up or down, that would indicate a regulator malfunction.

Do you use the passenger's side window often? If not, then this issue was probably present before the battery died and most likely has nothing to do with the dead battery. When you try to lower the window, have you tried to "help" it run down? Give that a shot.

The door panel removal instructions are posted earlier in this thread.

Last edited by gota911; 03-22-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Does the battery work... start the car, radio, AC .... etc?

Quick Reply: Door hard to close