Sponsored by:

Article on getting caught going over 100 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Article on getting caught going over 100 MPH

Interesting article, lots of variation regarding consequences of speeding past 100MPH:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayof...ket/index.html

I do a lot of driving on a stretch of Arizona highway that is 75MPH, generally meaning drivers going 80MPH are left alone. But if you are going 75-80MPH, going around or passing a car can quickly put you in 90+ MPH territory, easy to get in a lot of trouble!

The limits above are reasonable to me, and I have no tickets in the past few years. But it would be frustrating living in a more populated state where limits are more often closer to 55MPH, our cars are practically idling at that speed.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the... 85mph+ is reckless driving in Virginia? Seriously?

Half the cars on I-20 east of Birmingham, AL are doing 85mph+, how can Virginia be so toxically mal-adjusted to the rest of the country?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup, VA is screwed up. My good friend was tossed in the can for 6 frickin days for speeding. It was supposed to be 30 but the judge reduced it to 6. Some rule about a day for every mph over a certain speed. Lucky for him they reduced it but even 6 days in the car would suck. Heck, even the cop let him have his girlfriend drive the car home instead of impound.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I wouldn't want to be ticketed in VA.

The highest speed I've been tickected for was 105 over 70, which was like a fine of over $300 (can't remember exactly, few years back) but I had to attend class for the points. The cop did threaten that he could put me in jail for the offence at that speed.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only once been involved in a really high number, and it was on a cross country before Montana put in a daytime limit. Really in a different tax bracket than the stuff in the article, but was surprisingly reasonable (largely because they didn't have a daytime limit at the time) and was before th era of computerized reciprocity / reporting so largely consequence free. If I were to be caught doing something like that today anywhere in the USA I would not pass go, not collect 200 dollars, go directly to jail

I will say I'm looking forward to popping over to Munich next week or the week after to remember why I have so much autobahn bred German hardware! My buddy there has a 964, and I will steal it for the day!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

you guys should live in ny metro area where rush hour starts at 6am and ends at 10am in the morning and between 3-6:30pm at nite.
you'd swear 25mph is speeding then.
on a clear highway 70-75 is about the max here.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

JSMARAND,

Don't forget to sign the the initative in tucson to remove all the photo radar cameras here in arizona on the 2010 ballot or they will have allot more speed traps set via the interstate, right now it's just scary driving around in phoenix. Just got a photo radar ticket for 23 over which is reckless with no traffic around and I counted 3 cameras within a 1 mile stretch and the thing that gets my goat is that I will be attending 4 hour driving school in a boring classroom instead they should have made it a DE event instead.

Intiative:

http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/ini...where-to-sign/
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't have to worry about going 100+ in my Honda. Hell, I am lucky if I can get it to 65..... downhill and with the wind!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks259
you guys should live in ny metro area where rush hour starts at 6am and ends at 10am in the morning and between 3-6:30pm at nite.
you'd swear 25mph is speeding then.
on a clear highway 70-75 is about the max here.
I do. It sucks! It's why I will never commute in a major city.

BTW little story, the first Monday of fashion week this year a cab pulled up next to me (was driving the 528xi) on the west side highway at 3AM. The driver rolled the window down and it was an undercover LEO. I don't know if I was even speeding but anyway officer advised me to drive slowly, that the limit was 35 on the highway below 57th, and to get home safe. He never got out of the car, asked me for anything, was like a public service announcement. I took his advice, and when I jumped on the henry hudson at 57th, there was another cab, stopped on the shoulder. Everyone goes nuts after going stopligt to stoplight in town and lets it rip right there, especially because it's common knowledge that the cops have nowhere to stop and clock you there, and lo and behold the shouldered cab is also undercover, lights up and pulls some poor jerk over for the exceedingly rare and I'm sure frighteningly expensive manhattan speeding ticket. So if you're out there, thank you officer! saved me a lot of money that night!
Originally Posted by Mother
JSMARAND,

Don't forget to sign the the initative in tucson to remove all the photo radar cameras here in arizona on the 2010 ballot or they will have allot more speed traps set via the interstate, right now it's just scary driving around in phoenix. Just got a photo radar ticket for 23 over which is reckless with no traffic around and I counted 3 cameras within a 1 mile stretch and the thing that gets my goat is that I will be attending 4 hour driving school in a boring classroom instead they should have made it a DE event instead.

Intiative:

http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/ini...where-to-sign/
I picked up my 996 at Porsche Tucson in 07 and made the run to LA on the 10, and at some points in the high desert well beyond phoenix was in the mid triple digits. No cars, no turns, just mile after mile of deserted straight asphalt. Honestly I was in the triple digits 40 seconds into the test drive. I didn't hear about the photo radar until I got to LA, but since I didn't have plates yet, never heard anything about it!

Originally Posted by gota911
I don't have to worry about going 100+ in my Honda. Hell, I am lucky if I can get it to 65..... downhill and with the wind!
It's ALWAYS the hondas doing 100 on the shoulder cutting me off!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Wow, I wouldn't want to be ticketed in VA.
The article is wrong, it's 80mph, not 85. 20 over the speed limit or anything over 80 is automatic reckless driving. It's HORRIBLE! Last year, they passed legislation slapping a $2000 "dangerous driver" fee on top of the ticket, but it was thankfully overturned by the courts and so wildly unpopular, they even refunded the fees of those forced to pay while it was in effect. Still really really sucks, though. I try hard to stick to 75 and below.

The only bright side is that pretty much everyone can plea bargin down to the just the speeding ticker or the lesser "improper driving" summary offense so you don't have a misdemeanor on your record or spend any time in jail. Generally speaking, though, if you're going over 100 in VA, you're going to find yourself in jail. Especially if it was only a 25mph zone...

Reckless driving conviction will result in being convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-11. The maximum statutory penalty for a class one misdemeanor is twelve (12) months in jail, six months suspension of your Virginia driver's license or six months plus a fine of $2,500.
The most serious penalties are reserved for offenses that result in fatalities, not for driving 81mph on I-95.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

HTNY,

Originally they had no warning that there was photo radar coming up, then they changed the law to have posted signs stating that it is a enforcement area. I understand where you are coming from when in the triple digits the signs go by pretty fast. The good thing about photo radar if any is that our Sheriff Arpio will not go after reckless driving photo tickets because they where not handed out by an actual officer. On I-10 the police are like scorpions they travel in pairs around Blythe one on each side in about the same area.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Raleigh Floyd at Allstate says a citation "typically won't affect the insurance situation unless it involved a crash." In terms of a policy cancellation or increase, Floyd says it's impossible to determine as "more than 1,000 factors that go into it, including age, past driving record and where you drive."
Uh huh.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I save my over 100 mph forays for the track.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Welcome to the 21st Century. (Or is that 1984?) I got most of my speeding out of my system when doing a European Delivery. It's nice to be able to go 180 mph and not be thinking about police when you SHOULD be focusing upon the road ahead. If you live out east, the higher congestion dictates much higher restrictions, plus American drivers are simply not trained and tuned to high speed highway driving. They might spill their coffee!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I don't know, it seems safer driving fast than driving slow in a pack of moronic drivers that are distracted by cell phones, eating food, and whatever else....

Oops, did I say that?

Anyone else know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Article on getting caught going over 100 MPH