Sponsored by:

replace cost - ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
AUPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace cost - ignition coils

first off, i apologize for not searching on this topic but the search functionality is disbabled for the moment due to server maintenance and I desire immediate gratification!

i started up my baby this morning after having left her for a week. she was idling rough at start and seemed like it was misfiring. i got the check engine light and "drive to workshop" message. I listen to what my car tells me so I'm driving her to the workshop. at a traffic light, she is idling rough and dies; no belching of smoke during any of this. after waiting a couple of seconds, i fire her up and smooth as silk and the check engine light goes out.

I decide to drive to work and call my mechanic; he says it may be the ignition coils and will check the codes when i drop her by.

what is the replacement cost on ignition coils and is it prudent to replace all at one time? i have a 2003 911 C2 with 35k miles. no engines problems to date.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanics recommend changing them as they go--no point replacing all of them if just one is dead, the others could have 30-50k miles left. I just had one replaced and it was about $250 or so after labor.

Which was basically robbery, it's an $80 (dealer price) part and they're easy to change out yourself.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Someone else recently did this but I don't recall the cost and can't do a search. The coil packs are subjected to a lot of heat, so if one coil pack is bad, the others are probably in similar condition. If you can replace them yourself and save on teh labor cost, it would not be a bad idea to replace all of them at the same time.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
yasuro
Pro

this happened to me last week. it ended up being the spark plugs (yes, i was late in changing them out).
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by AUPorsche
what is the replacement cost on ignition coils and is it prudent to replace all at one time?
Change as needed. If you can use a screwdriver and a socket don't bother paying the shop to change these for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:58 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
Mechanics recommend changing them as they go--no point replacing all of them if just one is dead, the others could have 30-50k miles left. I just had one replaced and it was about $250 or so after labor.

Which was basically robbery, it's an $80 (dealer price) part and they're easy to change out yourself.
$250 sounds about right. Whether you change one or the whole side, the rear bumper and the heat shield come off. I would guess two hours to replace one and reassemble or two hours two minutes to replace a whole side.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Originally Posted by salayc
$250 sounds about right. Whether you change one or the whole side, the rear bumper and the heat shield come off. I would guess two hours to replace one and reassemble or two hours two minutes to replace a whole side.
They can all be replaced without removing the rear bumper.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
9NINE6
Instructor

No kiddin... they are 43 bucks at sunset. BTW once one goes bad the others are soon to follow. save yourself some grief and replace them all as a DIY. Don't remove the bumper...
Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I paid $60 a piece x 6 pieces when I replaced mine. Car was in for a AOS job and other stuff, mechanic suggested to replace the coil packs when he found some hairline cracks on most of them. He recommended the replacement since he was "in there already" and would not charge me extra labor for them.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

As others said, about $60 a piece. There's no way you should remove the bumper or heat sheild to get these. I mean, you already remove them to do a plug change...easy as pie.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kunkstyle
They can all be replaced without removing the rear bumper.
Really? I have only done it with the rear bumper removed, can't see how they're accessible without removing the cover.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just need to get underneath, but from what I hear it's tons easier for the two rear plugs if you pull the heat shields.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

You just need to get underneath, but from what I hear it's tons easier for the two rear plugs if you pull the heat shields.
Heat shield is just two screws, so why not?
Climb under the car? I pull the rear bumper cover for changing wiper blades.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Climbing? Maybe that's the problem. I slide.

Yeah, I'll take jacking it up over pulling off body parts, but either way works.
As far as the heat shields, there's no way I could get in there without taking them off. But anyone who can use a screwdriver can take them off. Easier than filling up with gas.

Quick Reply: replace cost - ignition coils