Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
From what I heard, it was done intentionally as a prank by some "friends."
Oh man, if that is true, that sucks! If my "friends" did that to me, they would be digging deeply into their pockets and I would have a lot of new stuff on my car, and I would still be pissed off!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Oh man, if that is true, that sucks! If my "friends" did that to me, they would be digging deeply into their pockets and I would have a lot of new stuff on my car, and I would still be pissed off!
seriously... thats like pushing someone off a bridge and calling it a prank....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Embarrassed to say, this almost happened to me last week. Put new wheels on and drove to put air in the tiires. There was a slight vibration but since I hadn't had them on before I thought a wheel was out of balance. Put air in and started to drive home and the vibration got worse. I pulled over and all the bolts for my driver rear wheel were loose. I could freely turn them with my fingers. My mistake was I put them on with a lightly torqued drill and forgot to tighten by hand with the lug wrench. They loosened right up. Talk about feeling like an idiot.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently there's a story behind that video. a dumb story.

a friend of mine is on some import boards and apparently that guy borrowed some wheels for the run and used the lug nuts that came with the wheels. they were, obviously, the wrong lug nuts.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yasuro

a friend of mine is on some import boards and apparently that guy borrowed some wheels for the run and used the lug nuts that came with the wheels. they were, obviously, the wrong lug nuts.
it happens.
my friend went to the track for the 1st time in his M3 and didn't know that he should use longer wheel bolts with spacers. his rear wheel came off and he spun to a stop. no damage but now he knows
Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. My friend knows that guy from the boards too and supposedly it was a prank. Who knows now?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Interesting. My friend knows that guy from the boards too and supposedly it was a prank. Who knows now?
expensive prank.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd heard that the lug nuts were overtorqued and overstressed, which caused them to shear.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 PM
flash80
Instructor

I heard that he tried to use duct tape to attach the wheels.

Sorry, I just thought it was funny how many theories there are for this story. Looks awful, I feel sorry for the guy. Those RX-7's are classics.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Supposedly from rx7club.com, but I found it on a 3rd party site:
Originally Posted by Gatlin
In case the owner doesn't chime in, I'll throw this in here.

He just bought those wheels, and the stock lug nuts didn't fit the wheels, so he bought some aftermarket nuts. The nuts were tight enough to torque to the proper specs (as witnessed by another veteran auto-xer), but apparently the nuts didn't fit properly, and stripped off on the first turn. He was sold improper-fitting lug nuts. The aftermarket nuts stripped right off, but the factory lug nuts could still be screwed back on with the factory wheels.

He's not a noob, and has been autocrossing (is that a verb?) many times. That car was mint in my opinion, and he always takes the best care of it.

Quick Reply: Those Damn Lug Nuts!