996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Great resolution to my catalytic converter issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any danger of not replacing your cats when they start to rattle? I've heard mine a couple times at start-up, but I haven't thought anything of it...
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default You sure the converters are rattling? They're pretty well made devices...

Originally Posted by jcalhoun
Is there any danger of not replacing your cats when they start to rattle? I've heard mine a couple times at start-up, but I haven't thought anything of it...
and have to be to withstand the heat and forces they're exposed to for 80,000+ miles without failing.

The noise might be from some other source.

I would not replace the converters unless engine performance affected by blockage or reduce flow of exhaust gases or unless a warning light and error codes and with proper follow up diagnosis determines the converters are at fault.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I blew a cat a couple of years ago.... er..... wait...... let me rephrase that.

A couple of years ago my 996 had developed a rattle that sounded like it could be from the mufflers. However, it turned out to be a bad cat, which was replaced by Porsche. Some dealers won't replace it under warranty until the cat is bad enough to throw a CEL, while others will do so if they can determine that the cat is bad without the CEL. A lot of it depends on the dealership.
My left cat has the same issue... have had it for almost a year now. Last time I went to hendrick porsche here in CLT, they told me that I probably will have to replace the cat and they quoted me a price. Nothing mentioned re replacement under warranty... car has 45K miles and is from 2003... also still has a month of CPO left.

Any advice?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dutchie, I would wait until it throws a CEL, then take it in. Even if you car is out of CPO, they are required by federal law to replace any "emissions" related issues for the first 8 years/80,000 miles.

Here is a link to the warranty overview. At the bottom of the page is a PDF file for the 2008 Warranty. See pages 1, and 17-18 for the emissions warranty.

Warranty
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
What year cars are you folks running I have an 03 no cats yet. What was the tip off, noise?
My '03 has had 1 left and 1 right replaced in the last 20K miles. Dealer did both w/o charge under CPO. Never threw a CEL. It was the rattle that got my attention both times.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
paulsoo217
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
As you may recall, my cats were diagnosed to have cracks at 80,909 miles. Well, these were the third set of catalytic converters on my car since the car was new. The first replacements in 2005, and another in 2006.

Since my car was out of the Federal Emissions warranty by 900 miles (8yr/80k), and so the dealer said it'd be $1600 for the catalytic converter (single). I told the service manager at the dealership that I'll contact PCNA.

I did so and initially they rejected my claim for goodwill repair because they notedd my mileage incorrectly at 89K miles. After correction, I'm pleased to say that PCNA came through and covered the catalytic converters. And the one nice thing is that they replaced BOTH of them.

Additionally, I am also pleased that my dealer, Pacific Porsche was helpful in getting this resolved. In my past car ownership days with Audi, it was futile to call up Audi of America expecting any help in any matter. So, I went in with skepticism, and was proved wrong.

Pacific has really always taken care of me. This dealership is over an hour away from where I live. I have several Porsche dealerships near me, with the nearest being 10 minutes away, but I choose to go to them, as I find them reliable and no-nonsense.

I'm hoping these set of catalytic converters last a little longer than 2 years.
So what number did you call, 1800-porsche? Any advise on making this call? I am having the same issue, and i'm just 2 months outside of the 8 year period, hoping they will help me out of goodwill, for a 1st time porsche owner, and it's a cpo.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by paulsoo217
So what number did you call, 1800-porsche? Any advise on making this call? I am having the same issue, and i'm just 2 months outside of the 8 year period, hoping they will help me out of goodwill, for a 1st time porsche owner, and it's a cpo.
Thanks,
Paul
I would ask your service advisor to do it...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, great results.

A solid and more interesting alternative to stock cats are the Fabspeed "U" pipe 200 cell sport cats. They're beautifully designed, look great tucked underneath, and so far work as they should *no drama*.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am having my 4th set installed in the next couple weeks. I've had 1 cat rattling for a year now, with the check engine light. My other cat started throwning an error last fall so I waited. Car goes off the 8 year warranty in the summer.
Going to pull them off as soon as they go on, and put the fabspeeds on. I know the OEM's won't last on my car, so I am better off getting the new ones installed and taking them off and storing them in case I need them if I sell the car in the future. There is no way I am paying $1600 per cat when the fabspeeds are priced less for both.
I just hope they are better made then the OEM are.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

jumper, do you know if fabspeed cats are tri-metal?

I agree with you, I believe the OEM are made from danske, not really motorsport orientated.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

not sure this is what I am thinking of replacing them with
996 Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe $1,495

* Fits all 996 Vehicles 1998-2005
* 340HP/308 ft-lbs of torque to the crank.
* 996 Sports racing catalytic converters give a HORSEPOWER and TORQUE gain to all 996 cars. High Quality T304 SS C.N.C. mandrel bent tubing for maximum exhaust flow.
* High Flow imported sports racing catalytic converters for less restriction and more power and more sports car sound. Fits all cars worldwide. Porsche factory warranty
* Simple bolt-on direct replacement sports cats for the factory OEM Porsche catalytic converters.

VIDEOS
-> X-Pipe Demonstration
-> X-Pipe Sportcat Street Demo

DYNO GRAPHS
-> Fabspeed 200 cell Sportcats Dyno
Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
ROK
Banned

Originally Posted by jumper5836

* 996 Sports racing catalytic converters give a HORSEPOWER and TORQUE gain to all 996 cars. High Quality T304 SS C.N.C. mandrel bent tubing for maximum exhaust flow.
* High Flow imported sports racing catalytic converters for less restriction and more power and more sports car sound. Fits all cars worldwide. Porsche factory warranty
* Simple bolt-on direct replacement sports cats for the factory OEM Porsche catalytic converters.

VIDEOS
-> X-Pipe Demonstration

DYNO GRAPHS
This is what I have on my car now. So far, so good. My original cats were fine. I followed whiteyc4s. It's not really an X pipe. More like a U.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836

VIDEOS
-> X-Pipe Demonstration

DYNO GRAPHS
reason why I ask is FVD sell similar and is trimetal.... its supposed to last a long time with high temp application.... Im thinking of going with this instead of fabspeed... though I have not seen any reviews on. I am a fan of FVD, a bit expensive but all made from the motherland.

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...%29-OBD-2.html

Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I don't think either will have a problem with the metal they use. The real issue is the durability of the honeycomb like filter that is used.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jyoteen
As you may recall, my cats were diagnosed to have cracks at 80,909 miles. Well, these were the third set of catalytic converters on my car since the car was new. The first replacements in 2005, and another in 2006.

Since my car was out of the Federal Emissions warranty by 900 miles (8yr/80k), and so the dealer said it'd be $1600 for the catalytic converter (single). I told the service manager at the dealership that I'll contact PCNA.

I did so and initially they rejected my claim for goodwill repair because they notedd my mileage incorrectly at 89K miles. After correction, I'm pleased to say that PCNA came through and covered the catalytic converters. And the one nice thing is that they replaced BOTH of them.

Additionally, I am also pleased that my dealer, Pacific Porsche was helpful in getting this resolved. In my past car ownership days with Audi, it was futile to call up Audi of America expecting any help in any matter. So, I went in with skepticism, and was proved wrong.

Pacific has really always taken care of me. This dealership is over an hour away from where I live. I have several Porsche dealerships near me, with the nearest being 10 minutes away, but I choose to go to them, as I find them reliable and no-nonsense.

I'm hoping these set of catalytic converters last a little longer than 2 years.
It's nice to hear that the dealer was on your side! What city are you in?

Quick Reply: Great resolution to my catalytic converter issue