Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are Pcar keys made of platinum or sumptin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009 | 12:09 PM
steveespo
Intermediate

Don't the keys have to be programmed for a disabling anti theft transponder? Or will a cut key alone be able to start the car?
I am in the same boat and was expecting a $250 cost but $450 really seems out there.
Old 02-07-2009 | 12:37 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

I wonder sometimes if we've reached a point where the aggregate cost of the keys exceeds the aggregate cost of (potentially) additional thefts. In other words, are the keys "overdesigned" and could a much less expensive alternative be more sensible? Of course, a cynic might view the key design and cost as a pretty effective revenue enhancement mechanism...
Old 02-07-2009 | 12:39 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

All of the keys have to be registered in the Anti-theft subsystem of the car, or the ATS will not allow the car to start. This is pretty standard for just about any modern car. $250 is actually about right. If you go to your dealer on the back of a turnip truck, you can expect to pay more.
Old 04-16-2010 | 11:34 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

I am reviving this thread for more answers. The remote function of my key no longer works. It appears the circuit board on the key has a tiny crack, and the red light no longer works with the button pressed (despite new battery). I don't want to spend $400 just to avoid having to put the key in the door to unlock the car. My plan is as follows: buy a used, similar remote somewhere, swap out the whole circuit board assembly, take to dealer for re-programming. I should be able to do this for less than $200. Will my plan work?

Thanks
Stefan
Old 04-16-2010 | 11:47 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

You would need the white tag with the keys programming info to make that work so I suggest a new key head from sunset for under 100, than take it to the dealer for programming. Sounds like your transponder is fine and its just the remote section.
Old 04-16-2010 | 02:47 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

I throughly appreciate now when I picked up my car the salesman
(I thought he was very **** at the time) He made me be sure that all three keys worked before I left.
One of them didn't work and he got the service guy to fix it right away,if I had come back later it would have really cost me I'm sure.
Old 04-16-2010 | 03:41 PM
Daiji
7th Gear

Well the Porsche purist might frown on the solution I came up with.

Twice I had to go out and buy a new remote at the outrageous prices, so I decide that was enough.

I took it to a auto alarm shop in my area and had them install a simple Viper keyless entry system, which they connected to the Porsche alarm system. Remote works great as well as the alarm, though I have to carry a seperate alarm fob. Only cost me $200 for the whole thing.

I should mention that I have a 1999 996 C2, and that a co-worker of mine had the same problem with his Porsche remote for a 2002 996 C2 Targa and the Viper Keyless Entry didn't work with his car. Probably something to do with the alarm module being different.
Old 04-16-2010 | 04:56 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Default New keys

I just finished this little process myself and can share the info.

There are two parts you need, well actually three. You need the remote control part with the button (fob). You need a key, and you need to have the key cut.

Sunset imports had the best deal, so I went with them and ordered a blank key and remote. I must have called 20 locksmiths and none could cut that blank here in the Bay Area. The one that said he could was too far and wanted $65. It's a steel key and they don't want it damaging their machine.

Now, you can find them on Ebay, but they need to have the Porsche code tag attached that is used during the programming process. Flea bay being what it is, I just skipped the waste of my time getting a bad fob and got it straight from a Porsche dealer.

So I called Sunset and ordered a cut key based on my VIN number. They will want a scan/fax of your drivers license and registration and it took about a week.

Then you attach your new cut key and fob together and go down to the dealer with ALL your keys and hand them over. Then $50 later all your keys will work.

They won't guarantee all the keys will work unless you drop them all off and they then verify they operate.

A cut key by itself WONT work. Even the fobless ones have a microchip attached to the plastic grip that must be programmed
Old 04-16-2010 | 05:01 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

That is why when I bought my car from the dealer I made sure they wrote down they owed me another key before I signed. The sales guys made it sound like it was no big deal. He was a little pissed when I called him on it before I signed. I am sure he would have try to wiggle out after the deal was done.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:45 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

just another part for these cars that is made out of unobtanium.
btdt.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:46 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by function12
That is why when I bought my car from the dealer I made sure they wrote down they owed me another key before I signed. The sales guys made it sound like it was no big deal. He was a little pissed when I called him on it before I signed. I am sure he would have try to wiggle out after the deal was done.
Awe, come on!!! A car salesman would never try to do that!

Good job on making them note it before you signed the papers!
Old 04-16-2010 | 10:32 PM
Pac996
Drifting

99% of the programing fee is for programing you to forget inserting key and turning
Old 04-17-2010 | 11:23 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Local dealer wants $160 for the remote key fob, into which they can apparently swap my metal key. They will then program for a mere $80.00. Apparently, they are not able to program a used fob without the code paperwork, which I suspect most used sellers will not have. Perhaps use of an actual key to open the door will add to the 911 nostalgia.
Old 04-17-2010 | 11:34 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default FYI - Key cutting in SF bay area

As everyone noted, there are 2 steps to getting a porsche key to work, 1 getting the physical key cut, and 2 getting the immobilizer pill on the key fob registered in the security module of the car.

I have found that almost every VW dealership has the equipment to cut the key for you, and many will do that for no charge. This takes about 5 minutes.

However the second part of getting the key assembly paired with the car will require a system tester to register the key ID. If you have any sort of relationship with your Porsche service department, most will do that for free as well. The second part only takes 5-10 minutes top. You will need to have the ID of the key fob to make this work.
Old 05-19-2010 | 12:13 AM
dan_996
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rudy1024
Deja Vu and yes, I don't think there's a cheap way to get a duplicate key... What I did:

Ordered a key blank ($20) and a remote transmitter key head ($120) from Suncoast. I found a locksmith here in town with a machine that could make the cuts (only one in the county out of several that claimed they could cut european car keys - $65) then took the whole shebang to a dealer and had them coded for $60; total spent $265... Once upon a time I fell of a chair when MB wanted $125 to make a duplicate...

Rudy
----------------------------
'01 Arctic Silver/Black C2 Cabriolet
'03 Silver F-150 Supercrew
Rudy,
I know this is an old post, but I see you're in San Diego, so I thought I'd ask....
I need to get a duplicate key made for my car and I haven't been able to find a locksmith in San Diego who can cut the key. Which locksmith did you use? I've got the blank and I'm ordering another remote. So I'll be doing the same that you did, get the key cut by locksmith, and have the dealer program the remote.
Dan

Quick Reply: Are Pcar keys made of platinum or sumptin?