Helmet Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
How much discount do they gave Rennlisters?
I think I got $25 off and free shipping. It came with a carrying bag and head sock.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
granracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.SafeRacer.com is a pretty good source. Or you can just visit your local motorcycle shop (if looking for an snell M rateted helmet.)
Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by granracing
www.SafeRacer.com is a pretty good source. Or you can just visit your local motorcycle shop (if looking for an snell M rateted helmet.)
Thanks. Also, assume I should get a closed face helmet? I wear glasses... is that an issue with closed face helmets?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the glasses. I was able to wear sunglasses with my helmet. If you have a big head like mine, the fit is snug and means you have to carefully wedge them into their place.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Dave,

No, fire suppression is NOT the only reason. And you cannot make the statement that it will burn after less (or ever state that it deals with fire suppression) exposure since the testing isn't mandated. The MAIN differences between the two are that the M designation is NOT subjected to fire suppression testing or rollbar impact testing.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Dell,

I went to the Carolina's Region Winter Track Seminar at CMP yesterday and there were some detailed questions re helmets and Brian Powell (DE Chair) and Marty Barrett (Chief Instructor) both confirmed that M2000 and M2005 helmets were allowed.

I'm a first timer at DE, but given your reaction, it sounds like you would definitely recommend getting the SA type helmet? Any recommendatios on where to get one? I want the best protection for my head (I only have one of them), but not sure how often I will use the helmet after this DE weekend (will I catch the bug?).
I talked to Brian last night (our DE chair) and sure enough, M rated helmets are permitted. With that said, it all comes down to risk you are willing to take on the track. Do the research and if you still feel that a M rated helmet is the level of risk you are comfortable with, then go that way. If we were closer (or if I was able to make it to the event) I would have just let you use one of my helmets. If you are in the Raleigh area before the event, let me know and you can swing by the house and pick one up.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
I talked to Brian last night (our DE chair) and sure enough, M rated helmets are permitted. With that said, it all comes down to risk you are willing to take on the track. Do the research and if you still feel that a M rated helmet is the level of risk you are comfortable with, then go that way. If we were closer (or if I was able to make it to the event) I would have just let you use one of my helmets. If you are in the Raleigh area before the event, let me know and you can swing by the house and pick one up.
Dell,

That is very kind of you!

One of your earlier message made reference to the different rollover testing for M versus SA rated helmets. Are SA helmets 'stronger'. Since I have a cab, this may be important.... Less roof to protect me!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't say that one helmet or the other is "stronger" than the other but rather BUILT and ENGINEERED for a specific application. The moto helmet is engineered for an entirely different type of protection.

If the car was absolutely stock (no harnesses, no race seats, no rollbar/cage) then I think the M rated helmet is acceptable but still not appropriate. Once again, it all comes down to the level of risk you want to take with your safety. It's not up to me or anybody else to tell you what decision you should as this is a decision that should NEVER be make irrationally. We're not exactly talking about playing 9 holes at the local muni, but rather a sport where the danger is real and life-threatening when things can go wrong.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
granracing
Advanced

No, fire suppression is NOT the only reason.
I never said it was the only reason. Dutchie, not sure how but I had previously given you the wrong URL for the SNELL Foundation. It's www.SMF.org . Lots of information for you there...

Here's a bit more information on the whole Snell Ratings, but again, take a look at their website. If you decide to do more DEs, it would also be worthwhile looking into head & neck restraint systems. ISAAC and HANS are two of the big players - I personally am a big ISAAC fan.

"William Snell was an amateur automobile racer who passed away in 1956 during a racing accident. According to the Snell Memorial Foundation, his death was due to the failure of his helmet to protect him. In memory of William Snell, the Snell Memorial Foundation was formed to improve helmet design and capabilities, as well as to provide users a way to ensure helmets meet specific safety standards. Each year Snell tests and destroys thousands of helmets during the certification process. The two common Snell certifications are SA and M. The SA certification is directed toward auto racing safety concerns while the M certification is for motorcycle helmet safety. The SA certification requires flammability and roll bar impact tests, while the M certification does not. Helmets with an M certification do have a wider visual field than SA. For helmets that have either of these Snell certifications, a label is affixed somewhere on the inside of the helmet. On some helmets, it can require that you check under the padding flaps that can easily be moved or on the chinstrap. A word of warning: Just because a helmet has a sticker on the back of the helmet with a Snell rating does not mean it is truly certified. Look for the official Snell rating sticker with the associated year’s rating. When buying a new helmet, learn what is the most recent Snell certification date available. Some companies will sell a Snell-rated helmet that just became outdated by a newer certification, or is very soon to become outdated. Snell recommends that helmets be replaced every five years, and many racing sanctions adhere to this philosophy as well."
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Then you need to elaborate further. For you to say that M and Se deal in fire suppression is just flat wrong.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Dave-ROR
Advanced

Most clubs that I've seen allow you to use a M rated helmet for HPDEs. I used one for years, heck the only reason I use a SA helmet now because I needed one for W2W. I still don't wear my suit, gloves, shoes, head sock, socks, etc for HPDEs...

That's not to say that you shouldn't, I'm just too lazy to put on all the gear to drive a street car at 8/10ths.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Dave-ROR
Advanced

Dell,

That is very kind of you!

One of your earlier message made reference to the different rollover testing for M versus SA rated helmets. Are SA helmets 'stronger'. Since I have a cab, this may be important.... Less roof to protect me!
If you do borrow a helmet, make sure it fits. Proper fit is more important than the M/SA difference. A poor fitting SA helmet will protect you less than a proper fitting M helmet is most collisions... especially in the case of a too large helmet that could leave your head....
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The snell website has a great deal of technical information for anyone who's interested. Lots of writeups and diagrams!

http://www.smf.org/
Originally Posted by Snell FAQ
What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sent 2 friends to OG Racing in the past for rentals and both were happy with the helmet & service. Think it was $35 for 10 days. http://ogracing.blogspot.com/2008/08...t-rentals.html
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kristap
I've sent 2 friends to OG Racing in the past for rentals and both were happy with the helmet & service. Think it was $35 for 10 days. http://ogracing.blogspot.com/2008/08...t-rentals.html
That's interesting... I may have to try that out. Could be a good way to try things out.

Quick Reply: Helmet Needed